Thru-hull transducer

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Completely Missed ........................

I would be concerned with leakage or evaporation. Now thats an air bubble!
..................... that one. One other thing to wonder about when the depth fails. MORONS ! ! ! !

Now, gotta find something else to gripe about :cussing:

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
In my old Macgregor 22, it always (it seemed) back in the day had a little water in the forward bilge. For one season I just put the transducer on the bottom in the ever present inch of water and put a sand bag on it. It worked fine. This was before the more permanent epoxy job that worked well and allowed me to fix the leaks in the deck.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My sonar/fish finder is epoxied down in below the cabin floor as near the center line as practical since most boats "heel". Mine is port side, not sure why other than a good spot.

My "depth only" is thru/hull and always need underwater cleaning because it had water temperature as part.

But...
The new C.H.I.R.P. sonar, down vision and side sonar cannot be shot thru the hull and must be in open water.

I will be mounting that on the Transom with and adjustable depth if I am convince by a good tech that turbulance of the keel is not a problem

I dont want to poke a hole in my boat.:naughty:
Jim...

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
James: Turbulance on the transom will always be a problem. Why do you need such a sonar? Chief

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I don't need it to sail.:)

i just upgraded all my electronics to 2015 and the newest Sonar does add to your scuba and fishing adventure while on the water. I do both with my sail/cruiser.

BTW... Captain Smith of the Titanic said he didn't need Radar or night vision binoculars either. Just ask him.:eek:

Jim...

PS: Just being on the water is an adventure.

Nov 26, 2012
Jim: Just bought my fishing wife a new sonar for her inflatable kayak or for use with the dingy. It is designed to just toss the transducer into the water and it floats! It is so cool! Floatation on yours would insure it stays more stable and doesn't pop up out of the water. Would this work for your transducer? Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Jim: Carole and I fish the Colorado river each winter down in Arizona. Largemouth up to 30"! We have both fishfinder/gps and depth sonar onboard our Catalina plus her portable fishfinder. Chief

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Now that is a "fish story".:doh::Liar:
No where but Louisiana and Mississippi do they grow bass that big.

But...

They say you can almost ID the fish visually with this newest 3D sonar.

BTW... video always makes them look Fatter.

Hmmmm I kinda like a towed array sonar, nice idea.
Jim...

Nov 26, 2012
Jim: This "fishy" story gets worse. We saw a whole flotilla of bass of around 18 of them . The front 6 bass were roughly 30" each and looked like clones of each other. No size exaggerations here as we saw them swim by us about 6 times in crystal clear water only a few inches below the surface. Arizona's state record is 30" plus perch record is over 5lbs!
Stole Lusitano's post but don't think he will mind at this point. Chief

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just to show you a real example of new sonar, no brand name...

:dance:
Jim....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
ooopppss! The picture was 5k too big. Size is reduced but depth is in Meters on screen.

Which is new Sonar technology? Top or Bottom?:confused:

Jim...

Attachments

Apr 12, 2009
Hunter 1996 hunter 40.5 Green Cove Springs FL
If you don't want to drill holes set the transducer in beeswax. I used a wax toilet bowl ring from Ace hardware and it works just fine. Using this method you also get the proper angle. Gently twist and turn the device into the blob until you think the is 100% contact on the face.

Jul 30, 2013
Hughes 25 Burlington
I think the best solution to this I have read (which I am doing soon) is to make a well out of 4 inch pvc pipe, fill it with mineral oil (which does not evaporate) and cover with pvc cap.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Some said to use epoxy for permanency, but what if you ever want to remove it? I've mounted several with clear silicone, and while it's horrible, messy stuff, it works very well for this purpose. Use the caulking gun size, not the toothpaste tube. It's hard to get enough of of the tube without getting bubbles in it.
You'll lose a little top end range going through the hull, but unless you're running bottom surveys that shouldn't matter. (I run a research vessel, and it does matter there).
Best location would be forward of the keel, worst would be next to the keel, it might not work well on one tack with the keel in the way.

Nov 26, 2012
Sunday sailor: That is an iffy method due to possible leaks. Have you ever heard of a silicone leak? I havn't. Chief

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
What kind of equipment and how is transducer mounted?

ooopppss! The picture was 5k too big. Size is reduced but depth is in Meters on screen.

Which is new Sonar technology? Top or Bottom?:confused:

Jim...
James,

What kind of sonar are you using and how do you have the transducer mounted for the pictures you took? Is it Chirp, Downvue, etc.?

Is it an shoot through the hull mounted in silicone, wax, epoxy? Is it a through hull.

Just wondering as I'm having to replace my electronics after a lightning strike so am in the market and thought I'd add some accurate bottom mapping features since they come with the packages I'm looking at right now.

Thanks in advance and I'll send you a private email and maybe you can call me?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That picture was from the website of Raymarine.

I am using my old "fish finder" transducer to do the standard sonar. I didn't want to put a thru hull for the new C.H.I.R.P. and down vision.

Chief RA suggested a floating one tailing behind which is probably the best idea. A floating transducer would not Heel and thus give better "under way" response. They make a transom mount that can be raised/lowered, but it is still unknown about turbulence effects in the wake.

I will let you know if/when I resolve that issue.

Back in your Navy days, this technology would have been Top Secret. Anti-Sub warfare probably has similar but from dropped sonar buoys centrally computed today.

Cost of Transducer and cable to a compatible MFD is less than $100. Retrofit guess around $500.

My compatible MFD was actually $50 cheaper with this option than without it.:D
Email if you need more info.

Go Navy... Beat Army!!!!
Jim...

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
Chief RA suggested a floating one tailing behind which is probably the best idea. A floating transducer would not Heel and thus give better "under way" response. They make a transom mount that can be raised/lowered, but it is still unknown about turbulence effects in the wake.
WOW! I never envisioned a need for such uber-precise depth measurements!!! :) While towing a sonar array sounds cool in theory, without an anti-submarine munitions targeting system it sounds like too much hassle, ha, ha! I just like to subtract 2-3 feet from the depth I'm seeing and go from there. What would be intriguing is a heel sensor that would adjust the displayed depth based upon your particular boat's angle of heel. Regardless, I don't see myself sailing over a shallow reef with inches to spare at any rate of speed that would heel my boat...but that's just me.