Thru-hull transducer

Nov 4, 2012
Hunter 34 Mattapoisett
I have a 1980 Hunter 27 and my question is: Where should I drill a hole for my depth thru-hull transducer, forward or aft?

Any owners out there with the same boat that has done this before?

Thank you for any feed back.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Instead of drilling a hole why not install the transducer inside the hull and shot thru the hull.9

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Listen to these guys! Please don't drill a hole in your boat! Find a spot where it works using a ziplock bag of water and then put her down with toilet bowl wax or silicone. Chief

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Agree with these guys and suggest forward of the keel if you can. That way if you're inching your way in a tight spot you'll get a short warning before touching. Good luck

Nov 4, 2012
Hunter 34 Mattapoisett
Listen to these guys! Please don't drill a hole in your boat! Find a spot where it works using a ziplock bag of water and then put her down with toilet bowl wax or silicone. Chief
So the transducer will always be inside the bag with water once i put her down with silicone?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012
No, sealed water bag is used temporarily to find the spot you want to mount transducer in your boat. The transducer is placed on top of the water bag, pressed down and checked for signal quality at a possible good spot. Chief

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Get 2 toilet wax rings (about $1 per). Make a little mound of wax at the spot of your choosing and then stick the transducer into the wax leaving no air bubbles. You can leave it at that as permanent and nontoxic but easy to remove and clean up.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A transducer cannot shoot through air. In order for it to be able to shoot through the hull it must be solid core with no air bubbles. Now the purpose of drilling through the hull is to provide a perhaps clean permanent installation. Have seen transducers placed inside water filled PVC pipes, enclosed by toilet wax rings, in pools of epoxy or in water bags. They take up space and some methods have less permanency than others. I used to have an h27 Cherubini and the transducer was installed about 4" inside the starboard settee forward of center. If you are considering an inside installation look for a place where it may not interfere with the keel or rudder and remember that you will have to route the wire to the control display unit.

Nov 26, 2012
Benny: Do you classify bees wax or silicone as a "solid core" install? Careful! Chief

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Mary years ago when we owned a different boat. We angsted over this for a year. We were advised and counseled and finally tried it by building a small dam on the hull out of RTV as an experiment.

About 4" in diameter. We put water in it and duct taped the transducer down. It worked perfectly. So then we purchased epoxy with a special attached mixer tube. Poured the epoxi in the dam. People told us absolutely no air bubbles or it would not work. The instructions said use very slow set epoxy so bubbles can leave solution prior set.

Well everything went wrong, I could see tiny air bubbles and they did not leave, the transducers ended up cocked off, and the tape did not hold.

Funny thing, we got lucky, it worked anyway, still does. Compared it with known depths to 100 ft and it is exactly on.

Nov 26, 2012
Bubbles in epoxy usually inhibit signal strength both send and receive. How deep it will pick up is a better evaluation along with detail of bottom if appropriate. Chief

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
There are two transducers epoxied to the hull of my O'day. Only one is used, it is in the center of the hull just behind the keel. Appears to work fine.

The more centered the better for when you are heeling.

I can see the reasoning for putting it just in front of the keel for quicker notification of the bottom coming up for some boats and areas.

I haven't seen it mentioned that when passing through a powerboats wake, I do get funky readings caused by the turbulence left behind by their props.

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
The transducer for my depth sounder came with a plastic tube about 3" long with a lip on one end for mounting it inside the hull. The transducer screws into the other end. The end with the lip is cut on an angle to accommodate the slope of the hull. I tested the area using foam tape on the lip to position the tube and the filling the tube to the top with water and testing the depth sounder. Once I found a good spot ( a little aft of the front of the eked to the port side) I removed the tape and used RTV silicone to glue the tube in place. After the RTV dried I filled the tube with antifreeze (the stuff I use to winterized the boat) - about a cup or so, and screwed the transducer in place. A little of the anti freeze squishes out.

It works great!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Unbelievable .....................

The transducer for my depth sounder came with a plastic tube about 3" long with a lip on one end for mounting it inside the hull. The transducer screws into the other end. The end with the lip is cut on an angle to accommodate the slope of the hull. I tested the area using foam tape on the lip to position the tube and the filling the tube to the top with water and testing the depth sounder. Once I found a good spot ( a little aft of the front of the eked to the port side) I removed the tape and used RTV silicone to glue the tube in place. After the RTV dried I filled the tube with antifreeze (the stuff I use to winterized the boat) - about a cup or so, and screwed the transducer in place. A little of the anti freeze squishes out.

It works great!
............... I can't believe the bull crap that these companies (in addition to this one) go through in mounting in-hull transducers when so many people on this site have simply slapped them on to the inside of the hull with epoxy, silicone, toilet wax rings, or anything else within reach which provides a bubble free base AND IT ^&*%#! WORKS.

Who's stupid here .................... the so call "experts" or the posters here who have done it already and moved on to other things.

Anyone :confused::bang: :confused: :bang::confused::bang: :confused::bang: :confused: ? ? ? ?

Nov 26, 2012
I would not use the tube and water concept as I would be concerned with leakage or evaporation. Now thats an air bubble! The other reason, is I want signal transfer immediately through the hull into the seawater media. Mounted close against the hull helps reduce signal distortion angle as well. Chief

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Chris Patterson made a plummers-putty-believer out of me. Cheap and not the least bit messy.