Throttle slipping

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
I just noticed that the throttle seems to be slipping. At certain points the throttle will not stay were I leave it. The handle slips back a bit as soon as I let go and the RPMs go down also.
It only happens a low speeds and not all the time. It has not happened at normal cruising speeds. Anyone know what might cause this?

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
On my Hunter, there is a small clamp on the throttle cable jacket that controls the resistance of the cable sliding thru the sheath. when you tighten the screw, it presses the jacket against the cable. My throttled wouldn't stay put until I learned about the clamp's function. hopefully, yours has something similar.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
small clamp on the throttle cable jacket
@New Horizons This is a pretty common format for boats of all ages and pedigree.
Check your cable. It will be either near the throttle handle or beneath the deck where the cable makes connection with the engine. Vibration and wear over time loosens the clamp/setscrew. Tighten it a little bit then check the results. (move the throttle to feel the new resistance) You want it firm not clamped down. If the problem repeats a little bit of locktite (blue not red) will help the screw resist getting loose.
On the unusual possibility you find a clamp but no screw... then the screw has gone for a swim in the bilge. You will need to find a replacement screw. Any one that matches size and thread count will serve the purpose.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What make pedestal do you have? If it's Edson, do you have either the 'Standard Clutch and Throttle Control,' or 'Engine Control – Side Shift?"

If so, these have a A throttle friction adjustment screw as a standard feature. You remove the compass and turn the screw that's in the top of the throttle shaft boss.

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
Thanks for all the responses. "Simple maintenance item" is what I wanted to hear! I will check it out this weekend.