Throttle Creep/ Stiff throttle

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hunter 34 with YS pedestal. I am unable to tighten the throttle cable clamp sufficiently to overcome the Yanmar 3GM30 return spring. Is this a problem with the governor? I have tried multiple fixes such as a throttle opening spring. adding friction makers to the cable, etc. I wonder how other H34 owners cope with this.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mine is controlled with one clamp type thing on the cable.. there is (or used to be) also a screw that adds friction to the axle of the throttle control arm. It is accessed by removing the compass.. You can see it in the "General Downloads" section by looking for the YS manual info..
EDIT:
Scroll down to page 50 and bottom left.. part #19 "nylon tipped set screw" is the one..
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_gen_18329874.pdf

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Wow! Thanks Kloudie. The manual is very helpful. Looking at the manual suggests that I am missing a couple of important parts. Of course the next question will be, how do I obtain, or fabricate, the missing parts?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I moved the clamp on the cable to the place where the cable turns and goes up the steering pedestal- ie under the cockpit floor above the aft berth. Apparently cable clamps work better as near to the cable head as possible. It has made a big difference the throttle stays put now. I made the change over 5 years ago and no need to adjust since.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
FastEd, fabrication or modification are the options for parts.. The forum store has a new control housing (just below the compass holder) that is cast aluminum instead of the original plastic.. other than that, some parts from Edson can be modified.. most of the stuff is common material that has been shaped/bent or machined to shape..
I had to replace my control housing many years ago when the original became brittle and broke into a bazillion pieces..

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had to replace my throttle cable. In one of my weaker moments I paid someone to do it, time was of the essence. Anyway after it was installed the throttle would creep back to an unacceptable level. He put a tensioner near where the throttle cable attached to the engine.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I was advised to put a light weight spring on the throttle to offset the heavy idle return spring. Something that was not strong enough to overpower it an let it do its job but strong enough to use the tensioner in the helm to keep the throttle from moving. Putting a clamp on the cable will only cause premature cable wear. Just an idea, I just replaced both my cables and will be adding a spring shortly.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I have resolved my throttle issues and here is what I did. First off, I bought the control head sold here by sailboat owners.com. It is a very well made unit, but it is not a perfect replacement for MY pedestal. I think YS-Merriman made a few changes to their pedestal over the years and my boat was built in 1986. I had to use a hole saw to take out some material to make room for my throttle control. Once that was complete, the control head works very well and I especially appreciate the throttle set screw. My old control head had the set screw, but it was buggerred up and did not work. I also took Richard's suggestion and added a cable clamp under the pedestal to add friction.

Thanks to all the contributors!

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
I use a tennis ball with a star cut at the “north and South Pole”
Then shove it down on the lever works pretty good to prevent throttle creep/ slide