Throttel cable what is this part and what exactly does it do?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
What does this clamp do and what is it called
I have a h34 1983 and with a yanmar 3GMF diesel I don't see this in the manual and it does not appear to do anything.image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
It appears to hold the outer jacket of the cable stable while the inner rod moves back and forth. But it doesn't look original either, ours is quite different.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It provides resistance on the cable so the throttle doesn’t change settings.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Can the throttle be adjusted if this clamp I loosened or removed or does it just provide resistance?
I am afraid to mess with it.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I looked at some of your other posts.
Confirming what others have said that clamp is to adjust the tension on the throttle, otherwise you'd have to hold it in position against high resistance.
Before you replace the cable, which probably isn't your problem, take the throttle lever on the injector pump, to which the end of the cable is attached, by the tiny brass spring and cable adjustment nut, and move it by hand. Will it go to full throttle position ? Try it with the engine running, can you get it past 2000 with cable disconnected or is exhaust elbow ckoked like a potato in a tailpipe ?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The need for more RPM, beckons the question.... have you had the RPM's higher in the past? Is the boat new to you? Have you changed the prop?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
No I am original owner, no prop Change, just took boat out this weekend and have always been able to reach 2700 - 2900 rpm and now throttle maximum rpm is 2000. I normally run at 1900 - 2200 rpm and reach 6.5 to 7.2 knots hull speed, but now the throttle control feels a little loose and I have to manually move the throttle arm to get past 2000 rpm. So I think that the cable is stretched and it needs to be replaced. Just looking to see if i can make an adjustment rather then replacing it. Replaced the shifting cable a few years ago and that was a real pain in the a** to do alone.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
All boat throttle cables I’ve seen are adjustable on at least one end. Look how to adjust it rather than spending $$ on replacing stretched cables. Take god pics of both cable ends and someone here will pipe up on how to adjust it.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I just replaced both shift and throttle on ours yes it was a pain, and no there was no adjustment and the motor end looks familiar on yours and I would bet the lever end is the same. The stroke on the lever determines the throttle range. I purchased the cables from this site

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I'll start with a silly question. Have you checked that your prop is clean & has nothing wrapped around it?

In the past, when I have had stretched control cables that have restricted my range of adjustment to an unacceptable level, I have sometimes fabricated spacers to make up the difference.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Just Finnished replacing the throttle cable. yaaaa
What a pain, 8 hrs of trying to get the cable thru the cable clamp and into the throttle arm on the binical and pedistal.
After fighting with a frozen cable clamp bolt for 3 hrs. ‼

Decided to make an access port and plate on the pedistal.
Cut a 1-1/2 square hole into the pedistal to gain access to the cable clamp frozen inside. Then hit it with PB blaster, heat then nitrogen
Finally got it free. Could have taken apart the steering assembly and wheel shaft but decided to go with quick fix as my patience was running out.

Finally got everything hooked up and back together.
Rpm issue solved, now I can get engine rpm to 3000 with no problem. Ran engine at 2200 rpm and reached hull speed 7.2 with ease. Still have more hp in reserve and the boat feels normal again. Just have to make a few minor cable adjustments this weekend.⛵

Hope I don't ever have to replace that cable again. Not a fun job to do alone.