This Looks Like a 5 Minute Job!

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Fact: There are few, if any 5 minute jobs/repairs on a boat! Doing a cutless bearing, shaft seal ,getting ready to drop the rudder, (My wife is so great, that's her digging the hole, 58yrs old and still got it!) Going to change the Volvo seal to a PSS, stern tube is reduced in size at the end and too short to accept the new seal, so planning on adding an inch or so.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Impressive, Brian.
5 minutes. In New Hampshire, we grow rocks as a standard crop. Can't diff any hole in 5 minutes.

Is there not a seal available that fits?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
“That’s my 58 year old wife digging a hole”.
Wow.. I’m not sure where to go. Tellin the world your wife is 58 and then that she is digging a hole behind the boat...
There has to be an alternative reason for the dig. What did you tell her? Buried treasure? The life insurance was paid up and you’d jump in the hole if she dug it? I’ll do dishes for a month?
There just has to be something we are not hearing.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, are you sure she's digging a hole for the rudder?! Shouldn't it be under the rudder? Don't stand near that hole.

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Wow.. I’m not sure where to go. Tellin the world your wife is 58 and then that she is digging a hole behind the boat...
There has to be an alternative reason for the dig. What did you tell her? Buried treasure? The life insurance was paid up and you’d jump in the hole if she dug it? I’ll do dishes for a month?
ROFL!
Hun, if you dig a hole I’ll jump in it and you can have my life insurance

....”it’ll be 6ft deep by 1pm. Get your jumping shoes on”

Dec 31, 2016
Impressive, Brian.
5 minutes. In New Hampshire, we grow rocks as a standard crop. Can't diff any hole in 5 minutes.

- Will (Dragonfly)
It actually took a lot more then 5 minutes to dig the hole.
The boat is on the trailer, I moved it forward so she could dig, then I'll just back over it (yes, she really wants to get back in the water soon!) Hmm, my life insurance is paid up, the hole is about 3' deep, and as short as I am, I still won't fit,haha

Dec 31, 2016
Haha, My wife is proud (and so am I ),that at 58 yrs old she can still do it. I love her to death, I know it's only joking here, but she's my life. She had a busy life as well, a former military pilot, retired veterinarian, house renovator, that can't get enough sailing!

Attachments

Dec 31, 2016
Impressive, Brian.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Hey Will, Ya, I can get another replacement from Beneteau,the Volvo seal, but me thinking I'll go one step further with the lastest, best (?), took on this challenge,, Now it's like a make work project

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); border-radius: 5px;">

• 346.JPG
    File size:
    743.6 KB
    Views:
:wow3::wow3::wow3:,
You do know this forum is filled with a bunch of sailors?
Not only are you one lucky son of a gun, but you are brave. :)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Wife: "Honey, where can we plant this rose bush you gave me for my birthday?".
Brian: to himself: "Nyah ha ha".

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
wait 1 min its on a trailer don't you already have a hole in your front yard the dranage ditch or how bout running the trailer up some ramps

Dec 31, 2016
wait 1 min its on a trailer don't you already have a hole in your front yard the dranage ditch or how bout running the trailer up some ramps
Not a drainage ditch close by, and just the thoughts of fabbing a set of ramps that could handle a combined weight of 16000lbs and a trailer that is only 12" off the grounds would break the bank account! :)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Haha, My wife is proud (and so am I ),that at 58 yrs old she can still do it. I love her to death, I know it's only joking here, but she's my life. She had a busy life as well, a former military pilot, retired veterinarian, house renovator, that can't get enough sailing!
So, he asked, why is she a; sitting on the dock, and b; smiling about it? :)

Dec 31, 2016
Well, rudder's off, shaft is out, all is good so far! Wife jumped in and loosened the bolts on the quadrant (someone had that info posted on here somewhere, thanks for that!)

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
These all look like familiar scenes from my same project, except the admiral is nowhere to be seen! In all fairness, I'd rather spare her back.
I went with a Lasdrop Gen II seal. The shaft had to be straightened slightly before the fit and facing was done. So far so good. Good luck on your project Brian. Kudos to the wife!