Thinking of replacing my Jabsco manual toilet with an electric model on my Hunter 320

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 320 Benicia, Ca
I am thinking of replacing my Jabsco manual toilet with an electric model on my Hunter 320. Has anyone done the same? Would appreciate any insights. I have batteries - 2 on one bank, 1 on the other.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I thought about installing an electric head, but decided it was too expensive and too much work to install. I ended up replacing the Jabsco manual on my Hunter 340 with a Raritan "Fresh Head". It's designed to directly replace a Jabsco, so same bolt pattern, etc..., very easy install. It uses freshwater system pressure to rinse, but still has a manual flush pump. We're very happy with it, almost odorless, no seacock or vented loop needed, easy for nonboaters to operate. Only drawback is freshwater usage goes up some, we're not extensive cruisers and have easy fill up at the marina, so not an issue for me. The pump assembly is way simpler than a Jabsco without the need to flip between suction and discharge, I rebuilt that nasty monstrosity on the Jabsco too many times. Haven't had to do any maintenance or repair on the Raritan yet after three years.

Last edited:

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
For what it's worth I posted this on another forum last year but still stand by it:

I have Jabsco heads on my boat and have never seen why people despise them so much. The maintenance is changing joker valves and occasionally lubing the piston. In 5 years of ownership, I haven't had to rebuild the pump, and if I did, I'd just replace the entire pump assembly since it only sells for about 15 bucks more than a pump rebuild kit.... There's also an appeal to the fact that Jabscos are so common that if you do get in a pinch and need parts, they can often be had [very readily]. All that said, I can definitely see the appeal to a more elegant solution if we spent a lot more time aboard or entertained a lot of landlubbers aboard, but for weekending and the occasional longer cruise I've found the Jabsco to be satisfactory.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
For what it's worth I posted this on another forum last year but still stand by it:

I have Jabsco heads on my boat and have never seen why people despise them so much. The maintenance is changing joker valves and occasionally lubing the piston. In 5 years of ownership, I haven't had to rebuild the pump, and if I did, I'd just replace the entire pump assembly since it only sells for about 15 bucks more than a pump rebuild kit.... There's also an appeal to the fact that Jabscos are so common that if you do get in a pinch and need parts, they can often be had [very readily]. All that said, I can definitely see the appeal to a more elegant solution if we spent a lot more time aboard or entertained a lot of landlubbers aboard, but for weekending and the occasional longer cruise I've found the Jabsco to be satisfactory.
IMG_20190408_095925

I totally agree. We had 2 manual Jabsco's for 10 years that got used everyday for at least 8 months of each of those years. The only things that ever gave me problems like 4arch, was the joker and the top seal at twist and lock end. More often than not the joker would calcify and I would just soak it in muriatic acid to get rid of the calcium and replace with the same.
Electric heads are expensive, noisy and very unreliable. Owners and the marine maintenance people that I know dislike them with a passion

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
13th YEAR ON MY JABSCO MANUAL. The best thing I have come across is someone on SBO said to twist-lock the pump handle and it will unscrew- and you can pull out the piston. Shoot some lube in there, and it's good for a long time. I used to put mineral oil in the head before each weekend cruise, but little work as that was, this is alot easier in the long run.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
SuperLube thick grease that comes in a tube...available from Ace Hardware and Home Depot. Squirt about a tablespoon into the pump, then after you put the cover back on the pump, pump it a few times to spread it all over the inside of the pump cylinder. Should last at least 6 months in normal "weekend warrior" use. It's also an excellent choice for winches, seacocks and y-valves.
SuperLube has a whole line of lubricants in liquids and sprays...so be sure to get their thick grease that comes in a tube because liquids and sprays wash out even faster than veggie oil.

Joker valves should be replaced annually. Most people think their only function is to prevent backflow...that's the LEAST important thing a joker valve does. Find my post "Joker Valve 101" to learn why it's actually the most important degradable part in a manual toilet. If you have my book, you won't have to search the forum archives for it.
--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Glad everyone else's Jabscos are trouble free, I guess I was just unlucky with mine. I rebuilt the pump, replaced the pump, added oil to the pump, and replaced the joker more times than I want to remember, I tried everything. It always pumped water into the bowl fine, and might work fine for a couple flushes after oiling or a rebuild, but then would build back pressure on the pump handle when you flipped the lever to flush out. To the point it would spray water out on the user from around the pump handle shaft if you didn't pump painfully slow. I found old threads about the problem, so I wasn't the only one. Haven't had any problems at all with the Raritan (knock on wood).

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... but then would build back pressure on the pump handle when you flipped the lever to flush out. ....
Probably the wet/dry bowl selector. It can hang up and cause backpressure on the dry bowl setting when you push down. flip the selector over and back, or just hold it to dry and after a pump or two it is properly seated.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Glad everyone else's Jabscos are trouble free, I guess I was just unlucky with mine. I rebuilt the pump, replaced the pump, added oil to the pump, and replaced the joker more times than I want to remember, I tried everything. It always pumped water into the bowl fine, and might work fine for a couple flushes after oiling or a rebuild, but then would build back pressure on the pump handle when you flipped the lever to flush out.
Sounds like failed wet/dry cam assembly. You can get it work temporarily by jiggling the lever, but it's a either a design flaw or tooling flaw that's been causing it Jabsco manual toilets for more than a decade. Unfortunately it's not in the rebuild kit. However, I'd never recommend replacing that part or even rebuilding a Jabsco 'cuz the price of their rebuild kits is about 85-90% of a new pump--sometimes even more if you catch pumps on sale. I've known many people over the years who've replaced their pumps every spring as preventive maintenance.
You'd love the Raritan PH SuperFlush...Raritan PH SuperFlush
--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I've known many people over the years who've replaced their pumps every spring as preventive maintenance.
You'd love the Raritan PH SuperFlush...Raritan PH SuperFlush
--Peggie
I replaced the pump, still same problems. I always had a dent in my finger from switching and pushing on the lever trying to make it work. But, like I said, several years ago I replaced it with a Raritan fresh flush and have been trouble free since.
This thread kind of got hijacked to debating Jabsco problems from the OP's question about switching from a manual to an electric head in a Hunter 320. Any advice for him?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
For an electric toilet, I'd go with a Raritan SeaEra "conversion"...you get to keep your bowl, seat and lid. Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet ...available in both sea water and pressurized fresh water versions. Practical Sailor rated the SeaEra "best budget buy" in a comparison of just about every macerating electric toilet a few years ago.
--Peggie

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
We installed a Raritan SeaEra QC with fresh water flush last season. We love it and guests love it. Easy install.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
I second the SeaEra. We replaced the Jabsco two years ago and everyone is happy! Install was pretty simple.

Tim

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Funny how you were the first person who came to my mind when I said that :waycool: ...and you may hold the record for the most Jabsco pump replacements (one each in two heads for at least 10 years) before finally giving up and replacing 'em with Raritan PHIIs.:clap:
--Peggie