Things that go bump in the night.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
What you dont want to meet when out on the water, i believe a lot of containers are neutrally buoyant and sit just below the surface. This one washed up on the Australian coast. I also heard that 50 containers were recently lost of North Carolina.
How many of theses are floating about? do shipping companies report their loss? does the USCG keep a log of losses? What about a chemical plug that would dissolve and allow them to sink?
IMG_0357.JPG

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I remember some years ago a well found Little Harbor 60 something was lost off North Carolina, believed to have collided with a container. They oughta require aviation style flashers on these things that turn on when immersed.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
What you dont want to meet when out on the water, i believe a lot of containers are neutrally buoyant and sit just below the surface. This one washed up on the Australian coast. I also heard that 50 containers were recently lost of North Carolina.
How many of theses are floating about? do shipping companies report their loss? does the USCG keep a log of losses? What about a chemical plug that would dissolve and allow them to sink?
View attachment 147470
Great idea.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Great idea about chemical plug.
10,000 plugs per year average at marine store prices I retire on that!!!!!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This stuff really chaps my butt. Over 70 containers were lost off Maersk Shanghai when someone decided that transiting Hatteras during a full-on Nor'easter was a good idea. 30ft sq waves and 100mph winds. The USCG is tracking over a dozen of their containers off Diamond Shoals and Ocracoke. I spoke with the CG District 5 public affairs officer as well as the relevant watch commander. Made a public comment to the effect:
Maersk shipping needs to present a plan to get their debris out of the water. While the Coast Guard rightfully monitors the hazard to navigation, it is not the responsibility of the Coast Guard, or the taxpayers to clean up after Maersk. This is a transit route for small vessels traveling at night and in reduced visibility. Hitting one of these containers will take down a small vessel. I will be watching to see that Maersk is held responsible for removing the hazard.​
Talked to the watch commander, he was very knowledgeable. Shanghai is now quarantined off Charleston while she is inspected and it is assured that they don't dump more of their stuff in the harbor. I thanked him for making sure that Maersk was held responsible for this incident. They never should have had that vessel off the graveyard.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The chemical plug idea would be partially effective in causing the containers to sink. Only partially because the contents of those containers are often, themselves, buoyant. For example: electronics are usually packed in Styrofoam.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Some years ago sailing south on the West Coast of Fl., I spotted what looked like a boat's bow sitting vertically about a nm away as the sun rose. As I got closer I saw that it was the corner of a smaller type shipping container. Seems it had broken free from a commercial boat in a storm a couple of days ago. What made this scary was that if I had been about a quarter nm further east and the sun had not risen, there's a good chance I would have hit it. And I was only about 5 miles off shore in less than twenty feet. :yikes:

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I believe we should go farther and require that the containers have AIS beacons and/or be made so they completely come apart when they go overboard. The shipping companies should be held responsible to picking them up. That is only reasonable.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Sinking the container might seem like a good idea.... depending on it's contents. lead-acid batteries, etc. Even just the idea of 10K empty containers a year scattered about on the sea floor doesn't thrill me. I'm no tree hugger, but still.....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe there is a commercial opportunity here for a private salvage ship, a catamaran with forward looking sonar, radar to hunt down lost cargo and claim it for profit. :D
They could double dip by getting state, federal and international funding to clean up the oceans. Power the ship with a plasma furnace to render all useless junk useful in some way.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Maybe there is a commercial opportunity here for a private salvage ship, a catamaran with forward looking sonar, radar to hunt down lost cargo and claim it for profit. :D
They could double dip by getting state, federal and international funding to clean up the oceans. Power the ship with a plasma furnace to render all useless junk useful in some way.

- Will (Dragonfly)
+1
I think that encouraging private salvage as a profitable venture is the most realistic way of getting the best possible percentage of these hazards removed from our waterways. Sadly, I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in maritime law to know what the current legal status of a salvage claim on a lost container might be.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/flotsam-jetsam.html
Flotsam may be claimed by the original owner. (Container owner or ship owner?)
Jetsam belongs to the finder.
You would wonder whether the shipper would call the containers flotsam because they fell off. They should then be liable for the cost to recover or mitigate the damages caused. So they may call them jetsam and it's yours.

Admiralty law is different than law of the land. Under Admiralty law, even tho the container was awash and difficult to see, you failed to have a proper lookout if you ran over the container. So both parties are at fault with percentages of fault being awarded. For instance, 95% shipper vs 5% sailboat, you get 5% of your damages dismissed but get the other 95%.

I'm not a lawyer but I have slept in a Motel 6 before. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Haha.. but salve. Silky smooth... no more chapping.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I’ve contemplated containers, whales, locks or dead heads, and the like on moonless nights while charging along at 8 or close to 10 knots. With only the bow running lights, or less if I’m using our masthead Tri-color while sailing.

I assume it’s kind of like flying on IFR (instrument flight rules) through the clouds. You just hope there is no one that you encounter.

I don’t fixate on it, but the thought is there.

I have run into a several hundred pound sunfish lounging just below the surface when ghosting along with asymmetric chute a hour after dawn in the Gulf of Maine. We were both shocked. The kids goodness I was only doing 3 knots or so. We were low on two things: fuel and wind ;^)))). The crew member I had with me was a semi pro. Normally I won’t set a chute in the dark. But what the Hell, we had to get from outside Cape Cod to Southwest Harbor in a little over a day.

Anyway, the bump was pretty startling. Nothing like ripping into a sharp confiner which is probably like hitting a sharp rock.

I’ve come to simply accept that when you can’t see, you just charge forward and unless you know something is likely there, it’s either your time to see what an 8 person Avon raft looks like, or it’s not. ;^))).