They delivered my new mast and spreaders to the wrong place :(

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
I'm so happy to hear level headed comments about a shipping mistake. All I get in my business is how much $$ are you giving me for my inconvenience when a minor setback occurs......
That's unfortunate, I'm sorry people act this way in your business. As far as I'm concerned, it's no big deal, until it's a big deal. Right now, I don't know that anything is damaged, and I'm going to plan as if nothing is wrong. There's no rush for this stuff to be stepped anyway. This was the year I wanted to refit and learn about the boat, and that's exactly what I've done - largely thanks to the help of everyone on this forum. <3

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hannah,
I am not in any way suggesting that you try this with your Civic!
Few years ago I was in a yard in New Orleans and a couple were refurbishing a boat that needed a mast. They located and purchased one in Jacksonville, FL. They brought that 45 footer back to New Orleans atop a Suburban via I-10. I wouldn’t have believed them if I hadn’t seen the photos. Crazy!!

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Hannah,
I am not in any way suggesting that you do this with your Civic!
Few years ago I was in a yard in New Orleans and a couple were refurbishing a boat that needed a mast. They located and purchased one in Jacksonville, FL. They brought that 45 footer back to New Orleans atop a Suburban via I-10. I wouldn’t have believed them if I hadn’t seen the photos. Crazy!!
hahaha im surprised they didn't get pulled over! I was researching the max overhang when I was transporting my mast ontop of my truck and it looked like overhang off the rear doesen't matter as long as the total vehicle length does not exceed the normal private vehicle length of around 44ft. They sure were pushing it!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Maybe you could rig a couple of golf pushcarts, maybe three.
The bag holders with bungees could be adjusted to hold the mast at either end.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Hannah,
I am not in any way suggesting that you try this with your Civic!
Oh wow - that must have been a sight! I can barely park my car in a parking space, so there's no way I'd risk trying to move something that long. So funny to read this though, thanks for the laugh!

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Maybe you could rig a couple of golf pushcarts, maybe three.
The bag holders with bungees could be adjusted to hold the mast at either end.
This is actually a really neat idea. I asked my hubby if we could try something like this and he said "baby, you have trouble lifting the puppies (our dogs jump on me a lot), maybe we shouldn't try to lift an entire mast" He's got a point, and I think the marina we are asking to do the work will probably have some kind of trailer to move this stuff. I'm just happy we found the stuff, even if it is in the wrong place. :)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The riggers at our marina use a set of wheels [dolly] to move the masts around when they launch boats. Or your friends could help you singing Waltzing Matilda like the movie ''Wind''.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The riggers at our marina use a set of wheels [dolly] to move the masts around when they launch boats. ''.
Actually, the dolly wheels could be your best option. Two people can probably move a 323 mast easily. Its not that heavy... It just has to be properly secured.
I have actually helped move upper mast sections from 17th century tall ship replicas using a dolly made from an old truck axle and tires.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
The riggers at our marina use a set of wheels [dolly] to move the masts around when they launch boats. Or your friends could help you singing Waltzing Matilda like the movie ''Wind''.
I love that movie and thought of it just last night as we were all talking about this. "Once a jolly swagman sat beside the billabong"

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Actually, the dolly wheels could be your best option. Two people can probably move a 323 mast easily. Its not that heavy... It just has to be properly secured.
I have actually helped move upper mast sections from 17th century tall ship replicas using a dolly made from an old truck axle and tires.
This is good to know - I'll head over there in a minute and see if they have a dolly we can use. Hubby isn't happy about it, but I'm sure I can use my feminine wiles (nag him) to get this done. :)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Surely you can find a group of "Able Bodied Seamen" around Pax River to shoulder that thing across the road. ;-)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Able Bodied Seamen are on the other side of the river, she’ll have to work with the yard kids and Tiki bar rummies on the Calvert County side!:laugh:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Feminine wiles, a call out for "Able Bodied Seamen", and singing "Once a jolly swagman sat beside the billabong". It is a party... A mast moving party...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
How about borrowing someones power boat trailer, and adding a couple of 2x4 lumber X frames to support your mast. Create something temporary to work like the professional version below:
mast trailer.jpg

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Surely you can find a group of "Able Bodied Seamen" around Pax River to shoulder that thing across the road. ;-)
Hubby says I'm not allowed to ask people to help us on the base. He said it would be inappropriate because they might feel obliged to help. I never ask for help without first stipulating that each person will be paid a minimum of an entire crate of their favorite beer, each. :)

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Feminine wiles, a call out for "Able Bodied Seamen", and singing "Once a jolly swagman sat beside the billabong". It is a party... A mast moving party...
This actually sounds like it would be so much fun, but the marina has already gone to get it for us. It turns out that Beneteau actually shipped it to the correct address (they did everything perfectly), but the shipper simply delivered it to the wrong marina.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
How about borrowing someones power boat trailer, and adding a couple of 2x4 lumber X frames to support your mast. Create something temporary to work like the professional version below:
View attachment 153331
This is actually a fantastic idea! I'll have to remember this for the next time I lose a mast. Thankfully, the marina I've been working with have gone to get the mast for us. They send some men around with a mast trolley and they are walking it back to their marina.
It's worth noting though, if any of you are thinking about replacing your mast - USSpars do a fantastic job packaging up all of that stuff.