They delivered my new mast and spreaders to the wrong place :(

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
Hi Guys,

As some of you know, I'm restoring a 323, and in doing so, I've had to buy a new mast and spreaders along with standing rigging. Bummed out today to find that Beneteau sent my mast and spreaders to the wrong marina, and when I called them about it, they just said "OK, so go and pick it up". It's 45 feet long, it's not going to fit in my civic.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll get figured out.

So how's your week going?

:)

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Have had an awesome three days on the water, even with the high heat and humidity. Sorry to hear about your delivery problem.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is just pure garbage. Who was the delivery agent? Who signed for a mast that was not theirs...

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Have had an awesome three days on the water, even with the high heat and humidity. Sorry to hear about your delivery problem.
Awesome! Glad to hear you are having a good week. It's been pretty hot around here the last week or so.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You might ask them, Beneteau, when they are next delivering a boat to that marina, if they could load up your mast and make a side trip to your marina.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
That is just pure garbage. Who was the delivery agent? Who signed for a mast that was not theirs...
It's no big deal. I'll figure it out. I don't want to name anyone on here - but they tried to tell me that the marina they delivered to was the one I had given them, when the purchase order clearly states which marina I needed. It's all in writing.
I'll just call the marina I'm asking to do the rigging and have them pick it up; hopefully it won't be a big deal.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
You might ask them, Beneteau, when they are next delivering a boat to that marina, if they could load up your mast and make a side trip to your marina.
The marinas are not too far apart, it's just that I can't physically get the mast from one place to the other.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Beneteau is now in the mast business? I would have thought USspars.

Nov 8, 2010
If its addressed for the place, they'll sign for anything. They get shop, store, and customer deliveries every day.

Oct 22, 2014
You are correct about some folk they will sign for something if the thing arrives by a truck. Then someone looks at the paper work and asks the question "Who signed for this and how are we going to get out of this?" Been working with Logistics for 25plus years. That said it is all about the paper work. The Delivery agent is as responsible as the receiving agent if the paper work says New York City and they deliver it to Miami Florida.

Nov 8, 2010
You are correct about some folk they will sign for something if the thing arrives by a truck. Then someone looks at the paper work and asks the question "Who signed for this and how are we going to get out of this?" Been working with Logistics for 25plus years. That said it is all about the paper work. The Delivery agent is as responsible as the receiving agent if the paper work says New York City and they deliver it to Miami Florida.
I hear what you are saying. In my experience, marinas do not have sophisticated inbound parcel tracking; something shows up and its treated as being expected. A mast shows up at Pikes Bay Marine (300 slips) and I'm sure that as long as the address is good, someone will sign for it. If it was meant for Apostle Inland Marina 4 miles down the road, pretty sure Pikes is not going to worry about having signed for it, or how it gets moved.

Oct 22, 2014
So true... I guess that is why we are often on our own to get our stuff. At least Amazon will send stuff again if it does not show.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I think the Beneteau shipping guys name is Ward and Debbie handles the orders, had great service from them any time I order.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
I think the Beneteau shipping guys name is Ward and Debbie handles the orders, had great service from them any time I order.
I'd like to not name anyone specifically on here. It's frustrating, but it was an honest mistake. I'm not upset by it at all, it's just a minor hinderance. As far as beneteau spare parts go, they have been lovely to deal with every time I order stuff from them.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
The marinas are so close to each other I might actually be able to walk the mast over if my husband is up for carrying the other end. The only real issue is, because the mast was not delivered to me, I can't simply walk into a marina and walk off with the stuff - even though I'm the one they were shipping to, I didn't take delivery of it.

Nov 8, 2010
Yep, you order it through Beneteau Spare Parts and it ships from USSpars.
Gotcha.
I often forget to check to see if I have left my default delivery address in the system to the right place. Has caused some tense moments until I check! ;;^)

address.png

Oct 22, 2014
@HanBan I feel for your challenge. Better to get a few strong backed individuals and a mast cart to transport the mast. I participated, with 3 others, in moving my mast 700lb on a cart from the boat to the yard. This was safely completed under the direction of my rigger. We moved the mast a distance of 500 yards. Without incident. Yeah.
First you must gain possession. If you are choosing to "Walk It over" be sure to inspect the mast before taking possession to assure yourself there has been no damage in shipping.
I used to think "Professionally shipped means damaged free". Not any more.
Know you have been waiting. It will be a bit longer, but getting closer.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
@HanBan I feel for your challenge. Better to get a few strong backed individuals and a mast cart to transport the mast. I participated, with 3 others, in moving my mast 700lb on a cart from the boat to the yard. This was safely completed under the direction of my rigger. We moved the mast a distance of 500 yards. Without incident. Yeah.
First you must gain possession. If you are choosing to "Walk It over" be sure to inspect the mast before taking possession to assure yourself there has been no damage in shipping.
I used to think "Professionally shipped means damaged free". Not any more.
Know you have been waiting. It will be a bit longer, but getting closer.
Thanks man, I think walking it over might be the best option.
Until the boat yard releases it, I don't want to step in there to take possession of it - as you say, it might be damaged. At this point, there's no big issues. We've been waiting since February for the mast and I'm just happy it's close. Like I said in other comments, we all make mistakes, there's no point in getting upset about it - especially when it can be fixed easily.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I'm so happy to hear level headed comments about a shipping mistake. All I get in my business is how much $$ are you giving me for my inconvenience when a minor setback occurs......