There and back again: Florida to Chattanooga

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
First make sure the bilge pump works, and that you can quickly close the seacock if needed.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Bought Amazing Grace there three years ago!

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We are now anchored for the night...we plan to be at Bobbys Fish Camp Thursday soon after they open. The good news is that now that we have cleaned our fresh water filter for the a/c, we can run it off one generator. We had bought another generator due to it not running the a/c on one...rather expensive lesson to learn.

We stayed at the Wharf last night at orange beach. Great marina and great area...we even got to ride the ferries wheel.

I will write again soon...thanks for following!

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
Sounds like things are going well. Where are you anchored?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
So ... we are 35 miles from demopolis....we stopped at Bobbys Fish camp and Lora took us to town for provisions...we went up river to anchor for the night. A nice sandy beach...so inviting, we did get in the water but I must admit, I read to many stories about alligators. So I pretty much stayed on the ladder. We anchored early today as Scott looked and said there were not any good anchorages closer to demopolis. I had to agree as all I could smell was poo water, If you get my drift! We will probably stay at demopolis if there is room tomorrow. The boat is doing well. We cleaned out the engine raw water strainer today...lots of grass in it! I will be glad to get home. Please write when you can...I always appreciate your words of encouragement.

Marilyn

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sounds like you all are doing much better!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Glad to hear things are going well and that you are making good progress.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
Thanks for the update Marilyn. Glad to hear things are going well on your trip upstream. May your trip be free of snakes and gators!
Just curious. Do you see many other sailboats on the river?

Last edited:

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We have not seen many sailboats but lots of barges! No snakes or gators but I did see my first wild boar.

Sep 25, 2017
O'day 22 Chattanooga
Sounds like a wonderful trip! Where do you plan to keep the boat in Chattanooga?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Are you stopping in Lake Guntersville? I plan to go out Thursday with my daughter for our 2nd Dad and daughter sail.