There and back again: Florida to Chattanooga

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hi everyone,
I have been asked by several of you to keep you posted as to our adventures bringing a sailboat from Florida to Chattanooga. Many of you know the difficulties we have had. At one point I was sure we made a mistake buying this boat. It seemed evertime we turned around, something needed to be fixed.

Initially we were going to ship the boat home as I was a bit skeptical about blue water. When we heard the cost we decided it would be a great vacation/adventure to do it ourselves. We would save money and have fun! Win-win situation. Given the repairs and lengthy marina stays, we haven't saved money. The problems that have been addressed would have needed to be addressed regardless so if you look at it that way, we did save money

It has been an adventure and it continues....I've learned I don't like rough seas but didn't get sick, I can stay up all night looking for ships that pass in the night, (we never saw one),
Sailing can be fun, and there are a lot of great people out there...people I would never have met if we didn't take this trip and have engine problems.

We head out today for a short hop to Fort Walton Yacht Club. We will stay overnight then head to Pensacola. Important stops/places will be, Red Fish Blue Fish, a favorite boutique (I've earned it), Lulus, big lagoon, Pirates cove...the fun continues....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mirwin... thank you... This is a much better shares than the "WaterHeater is leaking what do we do?"
Have fun and definitely stop along the way to experience the journey. Hope you route avoids all the storms in the Gulf.
Fair Winds.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Nice read. Thanks!
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." – Bilbo Baggins

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Glad to hear your update Mirwin!

Last edited:

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
Mirwin, glad to hear all is well.
As long as we're on the subject of Tolkien, notice my boat's name. :waycool:
20170816_175827c.jpg

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Love the name of course...how did you know we were thinking along that line?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
It was great to have the two of you on Amazing Grace last night. Lots of fun! I wish you the best of luck, smooth sailing, and fair winds to Chattanooga. You are welcome here anytime.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks Craig,
We enjoyed blue water bay marina and sailing with you very much. You led us there and now we have a fixed engine! We had our first race in your boat, and won!!! It doesn't matter how, in the end, we were the one with the pitcher of beer.

Please keep in touch.

Marilyn

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
If you drink, when you get near Pensacola/Destin get a local favorite- the Bushwacker.
We had the best one in a small, dive bar. Enjoy, keep us informed. :)

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
So...after a lovely dinner at Fort Walton Yacht Club with Allen and Jackie, Scott and I headed for our boat. Turned on the water for a little clean up before bed and that's right, you guessed it...drum roll...no water. Of course we called our mechanics and left a message as we had just had this problem fixed. I decided I would go down the hole and see what the problem was. I think I now know how Jonah felt in the belly of the whale, though I dare say he had more room! I noticed right away the problem...for whatever reason, the hose to the cold water had popped off. Being handy with the screwdriver, I refastened the clamp as tight as I could get it. Proud of my work, I slithered out of the hole, confident in my work. We left in the am for little Sabine. We arrived mid afternoon hot and sweaty. The first thing we wanted to do was plug in the a/c. No good, we need 30 amp they had 50. We would need to wait for the dock master to arrive and possibly help us. In the mean time, with sweat running out of every pore, Scott turned on the water...drip, drip, drip....here we go again, back down the belly of the whale...same problem different day. This time I used two clamps and tightened as best I could. We left the boat to go to the bar for a/c and more. The dock master was able to fix us up with electricity, Scott was happy...and I finally got to my favorite boutique....

As for the water heater, I will check it in the morning...

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
No we are at little Sabine...do you know anything about the a/c water strainer? We just cleaned it,,,it was full of stuff. Put it back together and now a/c doesn't run!!!

KZW

May 17, 2014
I clean mine every week with an old toothbrush. It grabs fine sediment, then things grow in it!

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We did clean the strainer in the bilge pump area. We don't know how to prime the water pump for the a/c

KZW

May 17, 2014
Usually the A/C water pump will work after reinserting the filter and cap and filling the line with water. Sometimes you get an airlock. Find the A/C water pump. Take the upstream (from pump to compressor) off the barb, and start the A/C. The pump will shoot water all over when the air bubble clears. Stop the A/C, replace the line and hose clamps. I've had to do this twice in three years. Sometimes just loosening the clamps is sufficient to clear the air bubble. Some folks have put in a valve to make this easy.