The worst call you will ever get....

Jun 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Bde Maka Ska
Yes the hatch boards are gone, but didn't break away as there was no damage to the frames and the latch ring is still in tact. After spending the day power washing inside and out. I discovered the Keel Locking Handle, was gone, thus leaving a hole that water could get in through. This may have been the way she went down. I have checked the shoreline and Craigs list. I just refinished them so I am going to go troll the out lakes to see if they ended up on someone else'sIMG_6939.jpeg IMG_6940-1.jpeg
IMG_6939.jpeg
IMG_6940-1.jpeg
IMG_6939.jpeg IMG_6940-1.jpeg boat.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I don't believe the locking pin is below the waterline but you may want to ask that question on the C22 forum as someone will know. Perhaps @Gene Neill as he has done quite a bit of work on his boat and sails it quite often. Have you tried floating it even without the mast to spot the leak?

Jun 6, 2018
I agree that the pin is above the water line. Putting her back "ON" not in the water tonight to check

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I sure hope my comment was not taken as sarcasm. What I meant was that this is fixable. Plenty annoying, though. Sounds like you got right on cleaning it up, which is a big plus.

Clogged scuppers? A similar boat near me sunk for that reason.

Jun 6, 2018
No brother, I actually have had worse calls too, but this one just sucked! Both scuppers clear and functioning as they should!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Does not the two cockpit drains of the C22 flow into a T-joint and then out the thru-hull on the bottom? A crack in the garden hose or crappy valve they used to use would soon sink you.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Keel lock handle above waterline. Mine drips at closehauled, but never docked.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I jumped to the end of this thread without reading anything in the middle. Your centerboard cable tube probably sunk your boat. It very nearly sunk my previous one. I had a 1970 Irwin 23 with a centerboard. The cable was raised and lowered by a plastic piston that traversed through what looked like a prop shaft stuffing box. One day I came to the dock and there was literally a foot of water in the boat above the cabin sole. I switched on the bilge pump and cleared the boat about a half hour later. After resealing the piston with lots of silicone lube I went to WM and bought a float switch for my bilge pump and installed it that day. It was pure dumb luck that my boat did not sink. If I did not visit it that day it absolutely would have. That is your culprit.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I want to know why that kid was standing on the boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Just heard a story on the news about a boat fire at the fuel dock in Willmette, IL.
Not sure yet what happened, but 1person hurt on the fuel dock. A 67 year old man was found in the boat (which had sank at eh dock).

That has to be the worst call of all.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does not the two cockpit drains of the C22 flow into a T-joint and then out the thru-hull on the bottom? A crack in the garden hose or crappy valve they used to use would soon sink you.
The Rangers are well known for this. It's a wonder they stay afloat. Garden hose? Really?