The rehabilitation of M.O.P.A.R.

Feb 16, 2017
They are through bolts on the top and go to the inside of the cockpit.
Lowers will be inside. Plate was removed. It's solid glass at centerline and out 10" inches.
We used devinacel foam for core.
Motor mounts has solid core at all bolts........
The transom is bullet proof!!!!!!!

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 259 Washington DC
Last two weeks have been busy, I have the boat covered w/PVC pipe frame and a blue tarp.
Lifted all of the hardware that is not being used or is a new location.
Basically, everything came off except for the stanchions, existing jib tracks, bow pulpit. I will take some pictures tomorrow. Drilled all the existing hole out to 5/16'' and counter sank them filed with West Systems and milled fibers. I will fill again tomorrow where it settles.

Feb 16, 2017
Hi All,
It was a nice warm and productive day in Maryland today.
Today I was able to cut my sleeves for the mast extension today. I am posting pictures short narratives.
The first Texas are my set up for the fencing to take a 3 foot extrusion and cut it into different segments.
IMG_2706.JPG

Feb 16, 2017
I will finish mounting the upper spreaders tomorrow night and then start putting the top and bottom splices together and if the weather holds....Have the rig up Saturday!!!!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
I'd be curious if this extension and the reinforcements required will have a significant effect on rig tuning. I would think that the spar would be significantly stiffer in that area, which will alter mast bend. Then again with a deck stepped mast, I am not sure how much mast bend there is.

Feb 16, 2017
Great question! I am always hoping for a much stiffer section.....especially at my age....lol
In all seriousness. After sailing the boat as standard rig I feel that it is an extremely flexible section. I want to it to be stiff as possible because of all the additional horsepower that I am generating.

Feb 16, 2017
Another good night, completed top splice and mounted halyard boxes T-Ball backing plates for 2 shrouds, 1 headstay and mounted B&G masthead unit.
Tonight install bottom splice, Boom gooseneck, pull taglines, electrical wires.

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Nice job! Looking forward to hearing about life sailing/performance reports about the rig...

Going sailing for the first time this season tomorrow...

Feb 16, 2017
Finally 1 day out of I can’t remember now long a clear day, today we mounted track and winches. It was 90 degress outside strong sun with a high level of humidity.

I owe all my accomplishment today to my 8 year old daughter Christina!
She clearly earned over a thousand ATTAGIRLS!!!!! Today
She used new p3 with a 8 “ vice grip clamped at the base of the handle.
Christina held every bolt tight as needed. Winches are 3/8” bolts and they are plenty tight.

Thank you
Christina
Aka. Little Rigger in training!

We laid down 2 sides
See pictures below38E707FC-E938-44FE-9DFF-33636C2FD727.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited: