The only way to fly.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now that is real cool. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you were north of the smoke, or it had had blown back to the east.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Now that is real cool. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you were north of the smoke, or it had had blown back to the east.
This was the Friday following the Wednesday & Thursday gale that blew through Queen Charlotte and Johnstone straits. We were told that's what cleared the air. So pretty up there! Just Admiral & me, and pilot.:biggrin:

We did a 7 n.mi. stretch in Johnstone Strait Thursday morning leaving Forward Harbour. Along our northside of the strait we saw to only about 21-22 kt. Motoring, of course, in a Hunter 45 CC, w/full enclosure. Very nice.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It sounds like a great trip.
We haven't been that far Northwest yet.

Ken

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It sounds like a great trip.
We haven't been that far Northwest yet.

Ken
It was, but there was a lot of smoke around until our last two days. Admiral and I were guests on a boat that was part of a fleet, all travelling more-or-less together. All but two of seven nights were spent at marina docks. Last year when we chartered for two weeks, only two of the 14 nights did we spend at a marina dock. The last night at Coal Harbour in Vancouver so me crew of six could all have dinner together at Cardero's:thumbup:. One other night at Powell River so the keel could be inspected after we had made "contact" with a flat rock leaving Waiatt Bay.:(

It could be a very long round-trip from Everett. The best travel strategy for making distance in my view is to get going early; e.g., 0530 to 0630, and make your 30 or 40, even 50, n.mi. by early to mid-afternoon. Anchor, rest up, have dinner, and then in the rack by 2130. Get going again the next day. Try to make most of the day on the favorable tide even if the wind is against, & make early rapids when and wherever possible. This is not the schedule for someone who wants a "relaxing" vacation with lots of play time at each site. Make the weather end of the trip first and fast; return with more leisure time. Power boaters basically do better on this travel strategy than we do on sailboats unless you potentially have 9 kt of hull speed.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Kings Gambit that strategy is sensible to accomplish a visit within 14 days. It is how I have ventured into the Gulf Islands. I’ve found 30 to 40 nm per day a good limit when solo.

The plan I have is to retire. Then the need to “get there” in a limited time becomes less. Changing the vacation from 14 days to 30 or 45 .... at least that is the plan.