The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I've actually been working on this modified engine lift for a wile now, but just finished it up today,
its gonna be a much more user friendly set up for you Russ... the only thing I would suggest is that you consider building a tang/strap so that you can attach the lower block out farther on the "lever" that you are pulling on to lift the motor, as it will give you much more leverage, almost a third more, from where it is attached as shown in the photos.

my lower block is mounted on a tang from the top pivot bolt near the outboard mounting plate, and lifting my honda (100lbs) takes about 25lbs of pull when its in the full down position, which from a sitting position and pulling sideways like I do sometimes, its about all I want. the closer the motor is to the top, the angle of the purchase lead allows it to pull a lot easier.
if I stand and pull, its not an issue at all.
and I think I have a 5part tackle..... a 2 sheave becket block at the top, and a 3 sheave block at the bracket pivot bolt...

the up side is, I dont usually have to hoist it from the full down position because, either there is more shaft in the water than necessary in calmer conditions, or in not so calm conditions the heavy wave action submerges the motor head, which has happened enough times that I dont like to lower it all the way anymore... the submersion is only momentary and doesnt cause any harm as long as it IS only momentary, because like a jet ski, there is enough air in the cowling to allow it to continue on until it surfaces again... most outboards are designed with extreme wet and possible momentary submersion in mind...

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
The parts for my next projects have finally arrived:

A ProSport battery charger/maintainer. It will keep both batteries charged, vs the old unit which was only good for 1 battery at a time. The unit itself is kind of large, but not as large as the automotive battery charger that I've been using to keep the batteries topped up in the non-sailing season.

And:
New antennae cable, PL-259 connectors (including one that goes through the deck), reducers, and an AM/FM - VHF separator, so I can receive on both radios with only 1 antenna, and 1 cable running through the mast. I switched from RG8/U to RG58/U, not only because of the price (RG58/u being much less expensive), but also because the RG8/U I found locally was the heavy milspec cable. Way to much for my sailing application.

After all that is in place, I can finally do a more permanent closure of the hole above the galley!

Then, the next project is......... ;)

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
New coffee program..

My 26S "sink area" (sink is still there, just covered up) is mostly setup for making coffee as this is the most important meal of the day.. I have used a percolator with ground coffee for years but the percolator wastes a lot of heat running a very inefficient hot water "pump" (the tube and round base bottom). I love the butane burner.. but the percolator was going through the gas canisters a little too fast. What I have now,, I still have the percolator pot but dumped the pump and basket part where you put the filter and grounds. I modified a coffee filter cup from a home electric drip brewer so that it fits in the percolator pot. I put this new cup plus a filter and ground coffee in the old pot.

Then I heat water with a second pot (shown mounted sideways on the butane stove). When the water starts to boil, I manually poor it over the coffee grounds. Makes a bunch of cups of good coffee, doesn't waste a lot of fuel and is easy to clean up.. At least.. that is the plan anyhow.. I have only used it once this way so far. The second pot that heats water is also used to make tea, noodles or soup, etc.

coffee1.JPG
coffee2.JPG

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
C-van Garage (2).jpg
Front View 2.jpg

This is more of a “What I’ve been doing the past few weeks” rather than ”what I did ‘TODAY’” but I thought I’d post it here anyway. Since my wife and I will be moving into a new home once I retire, it seems only fair that Miss Behavin’ should get a new home as well. After all, she will be trading the warm California desert for the icy winters of Minnesota. My plan is to build a carport (garage, barn, boathouse, boatport, whatever you want to call it) by placing two 40’ shipping containers 19’ apart and building a gabled roof over the whole thing. Not only will this make for quick and simple construction but we’ll have weatherproof lockable storage as soon as the shipping containers are in place.

I’ve spent the last few weeks designing the building and producing a drawing package that I hope to submit for a permit when we move my wife there in April. I expect the permit will be ready for us to begin excavation by the time I actually retire in August. Considering that the foundation has to sit undisturbed for two weeks before we can place the shipping containers, I should be able to get at least a few days of sailing in while the weather is still warm. Even after we start building I hope to take the Mac out once a week or so for a few day sails or, at least, take a few hours here and there to sail the dinghy around.

It’s been over a year since I’ve been on the water and I’m getting more than a little bit anxious……

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thats a really clever concept for a garage. as long as you can convince the planning dept, which can often be pretty narrow minded. I'd love to have that setup in my back yard. ;)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Who needs 'em?
I expect Bud will, if Minnesota is anything like Oregon. of course that may depend on weather or not it has a cement foundation or slab, making it a "permanent" structure. It will warrant checking into prior to construction, which may save grief later on.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
...if Minnesota is anything like Oregon.
Much too US-centric thinking, IMO. Travel the second and third worlds. You'd be surprised what's acceptable in a less litigious society.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Bud, I think you are going to have fun with that... So.. is that retirement on your mind a little bit LOL..

You can build without a permit but then when you go to sell, someone is going to want a serious discount on the shed if its not legal. Legal adds value plus reduces liability. Ive done some things in the past where I didnt get a permit when I should have but dont do that anymore simply because of the $$$ value of it being legal. In Arizona, if its over 200 sq foot, you need a permit/ built to codes. I built this shed this winter from plans I got on the internet - no permit needed because its way less than 200 sq foot.

not legal
shed1.JPG
shed2.JPG

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Interesting project.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/newhouse/newhouse10.html

You can buy stepped trusses so that you would only need the outside bearing walls. I used some when I built my house so that I'd have a raised ceiling over where my car lift is. They are on the top of the pile above and span the same 40' distance as the ones under them and actually cost a little less.

Being you are building in a very cold local I think I'd want those side rooms to be framed with insulation in at least one of them. Then you could also put in easy access where ever was best vs. using the end doors on the containers that could keep getting snow in from of them. How much are containers? Are you saving much vs. just framing those areas in?

Your building, so you for sure have to do what fits your needs best,

Sumner
==================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
Thank you. I appreciate all the inputs and the compliments.

Considering that our property is quite a ways out of town I probably could get by without a permit but I'll look into getting one anyhow, even though I don't expect to ever sell the place.

Considering that I do plan to be putting all my power tools in one of the shipping containers and make it into a work shop I probably will insulate one of them at a later time but for now I'll be glad to be able to have a place to park my boat, Harley, and sleigh before winter comes. (Yes, Even though it rarely snows here in the desert, I do own a sleigh and use it from Thanksgiving till Christmas.)

IMG_2277-x.jpg

Apr 19, 2012
I expect Bud will, if Minnesota is anything like Oregon. of course that may depend on weather or not it has a cement foundation or slab, making it a "permanent" structure. It will warrant checking into prior to construction, which may save grief later on.
Very true. I will be installing a foundation extending to below the frost line (5-1/2'). Frost heave in Northern Minnesota can tear a building apart if it's not on a good foundation.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Hopefully you don't mind a Minnesotan's opinion as I just stumbled on your thread. @BudGates I am not sure if you will be in northern, central, or southern Minnesota but location will have a lot to do on the temps you will see. In the south we only get a few weeks of -30 in the winter but in the north it can be a month or more. Shipping containers are ok so long as you will not need to open or access them in the dead of winter. I used to work for a Danish company that would ship equipment to MN in containers and we would use them for storage. You will need to keep the front clear of snow to open the doors and stay on top of it through the winter. But that's the easy part. In the fall and spring the snow will melt just a bit and then refreeze causing the hinges and door seals to build ice and freeze closed. You can use a torch to heat them to get them open but you risk melting the gasket and then it is not 100% waterproof. However if you are building a shed out of these then perhaps your not planning to use the end doors anyway and so ice build up may not be an issue. I will say though in the rural areas of the state (anything outside of Minneapolis / St. Paul) most large barns and sheds are built as "pole barns" it is a cost effective way to build a steel sided barn using basically telephone poles deep into the ground to support the roof trusses and then covered with Steel siding with a steel roof. They can be insulated and you can pour a floor in them or not its really up to you. It also allows for very large spans in excess of 80' across without any posts in the center of the building. Permitting is an absolute must though. I live in the southern portion of the state and we are surrounded by Amish. When they build a new structure even they need a permit. But no worries permits are cheep and plan reviews are simple nothing like there was when I Lived in San Diego. Hey when you get out here though drop me a line and perhaps we can get out for a sail. I have a C 22 and am always looking for someone to sail with.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Having to open doors in the winter by first using a torch on the hinges.. Hmm. no wonder I see so many MN plates here in Lake Havasu.. **

You probably can burn wood there? I love heating with a wood stove..

** but dont move here.. it really is completely unbearably HOT in the summer..

Last edited: