The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We haven't had this much snow in these parts since 1985............
You're gonna need a longer shed,..... or a shorter boat ;)
It's been very cold but with almost nil rain/snow here in Oregon so far this winter. guess we know where it went now.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Warm and dry here at 6000 feet in Utah. We could really use the snow or rain. We have usually had at least one or two storms of a couple inches by now. 11,000 foot mountains a few miles north of town have gotten hit once or twice but no snow still there on the south side. Looking from here over to the mountains by Durango and Telluride there is very little snow evident. We went to Denver for Thanksgiving and very little snow up high going across the mountains and Continental Divide. A couple ski areas barely open on man-made snow,

Sumner
================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Im a little paranoid about using one single handed but your right.. it would be fun. In that picture there were four of on the boat (wife plus two dogs) and they were ALL down below taking a nap. My main crew is just the autopilot (which was steering the boat in that picture). Need a new main first. The one I have is now 9 YO and has seen a lot of wind. I seem to be able to keep it working with more and more backstay (bending the mast..why that seems to work I dont know??) but I think its past its prime. Not to mention also that neither a main or a spinnaker are in the budget for at least a year. Just happy to be out getting blown around by the wind at the moment.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We're SO jealous Walt. it's been in the 30s-40s here lately. Sure wish we had another trip south left in us, but for now we sure enjoy the vicarious adventure.
Russ&Jennifer

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
OK! Winter in the Texas Hill Country is over! It hit 65° the day that picture was taken. Today, it's already 72° at 11AM.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
OK! Winter in the Texas Hill Country is over! It hit 65° the day that picture was taken. Today, it's already 72° at 11AM.
:confused: Still 30 here at 9 am. that's not fair ;)

A dear old friend, a former employee, now lives near San Antonio. he's on hospice but was telling me how thrilled he was to see snow again... likely for the last time :( a reminder to always enjoy the little things in life.

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
Has anyone else installed heat in their Mac?

We've had a great summer of sailing on warm weekends and a one-week jaunt down to Boston and back. But fall is coming. After all, this is New England. It'll be getting cold. We'd like to make use of Eclipse in the shoulder seasons, but sleeping on a cold boat elicits a less than enthusiastic response. Sometimes we sleep on board when she's parked in the yard, but then we use a small electric heater.

So Kristen purchased and I installed a Webasto diesel fueled hot air heater. It took a full month to install it and all its parts. The location is in the lazaret, port side, sandwiched between the motor well and the bulkhead of the lazaret. Most of the installation was done while lying on my back on the floor of the laz, with the heater about eight inches above my face. Every time I needed to procure another tool, or trim some material off whatever I was trying to fit, I had to climb out and back in again.

So many connections to make. The heater takes in diesel (I fashioned a tank from a gallon gas can) and intake air (1” pvc pipe to the port side of the motor well) and outputs exhaust (added a very small muffler, and a through-hull high on the transom.) It also takes in cold air (another PVC pipe drawing in air next to the combustion intake) and puts out hot air (too hot for PVC, I used steel). There are also electrical connections, fortunately these are plug-in, but wires have to be routed forward to the main panel and a controller knob/thermostat.

Also, with the space being smaller than required, I added a steel heat shield to protect the fiberglass. To avoid loosing heat to the laz, the first four feet of heat vent pipe were insulated inside of a section of metal ducting. At that point the vent turns and enters the salon. Our first firing revealed a piece of foam lodged inside the heat vent, but once that was cleared (no easy task) the heat came pouring out!

But winter has settled into New England and there's ice in the bays, so we'll wait for warmer weather and try some early season sailing next spring.

The photos are rather disorienting, as there is little for reference. The first shows the heater, tank, and all it's connections visible from the open lazaret hatch. The second shows the vents in the port wall of the motor well. The third shows the view from lying on the floor looking upward, while the third is looking to port, showing the bottom of the heater (black), heat shield over the heater, duct carrying hot air coming toward you, fuel pump below and to the left of the heater, combustion air intake box (white) behind, and silver exhaust coming out of the bottom and heading to the left. You can also see the drain for the cockpit. And the final photo shows the pipe carrying nice warm air into the salon, looking aft.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Besides the work performed, I like your use of reasonably-sized photos.
Seems that editing is a lost art...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Besides the work performed, I like your use of reasonably-sized photos.
Seems that editing is a lost art...
The heater sounds really nice for how I use the boat during the winter. How long will the heater run on one gallon of diesel? I thought I heard somewhere that the fan for those heaters is about 40 watts (ie, 3 to 4 amps at 12 V) which is a significant load, something to also consider.

Regarding the smaller file size.. I have been "living" on a cell based 5G per month hot spot. Worked for me (and I understand the comment above) but my wife got tired of it. She wanted to "google whatever the hell she wanted to" and signed up for cable internet with a huge higher data limit. First day (two days ago) we watched two hours of funny cat videos on youtube... then another two hours of funny corgi dog videos.. Geeze... At least I can now watch the sailing videos that get posted.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Been working on this upgraded M25 galley for a week or so. 99% done now. the stock unit was totally worthless for storage IMHO, but the fiberglass top/sink unit were recycled onto this much more efficient new wood cabinet base, and the whole unit will still slide under the port side cockpit (as far back as the sink pump), or out into the cabin for use. the drawers have double roller spring latches to hold them securely closed wile sailing, and there's a 2.5 gal tank for the sink to drain into. another 2.5 gal tank can sit next to the drain tank to feed the sink pump if desired. Now I need to re-do the cooler further forward to make room on the port side cabin bench for the galley. ;)

P1050770.jpg P1050766.jpg

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Cool pictures, really like the colors in the last one. Nice you are now getting so much time on the water. Retirement is great, I've loved every moment of it :).

Lately there has been some discussion on picture sizing and for the record I love the full size pictures like you've posted in this thread. I think they liven up the thread myself vs. thumbnail pics, but I'll take either with no complaints ;),

Sumner
=======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wow Walt. that last photo is a calendar winner for sure! looks like fun times :)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
some threads you expect to see pictures like this one but that is also just my opinion. I also always resize the pictures so that they are under 300K. All three of the pictures I just posted were sized at 600x800 pixels and between 200 to 300K. You will see a thumbnail that pulls up a 1 to 2 Meg file size and I think those end up getting hosted by SBO. Maybe a thread should be started in one of the sub forums on picture posting rules and the site owners could set rules. Or maybe that already exists?

Retirement.. I used to hate Mondays... now maybe my favorite day of the week.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....I also always resize the pictures so that they are under 300K. All three of the pictures I just posted were sized at 600x800 pixels and between 200 to 300K....
I also resize all the pictures I post and they are always on my site so SBO doesn't have to host them. If one sees my pictures here they are seeing them via a link to my site. I pay for hosting so it works for me, but I'm glad that SBO hosts also for those that don't have their own site.

If some one is looking for a free program to resize and edit photos I'd recommend paint.net. I use it for all my editing and usually my pictures end up in the 50K-80k file size. Paint.net is a good program and it is easy to resize a picture in size and also in how large a file it is. As Walt pointed out just because a picture shows up as a thumbnail doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't taking up a lot of space on SBO's server.

Thank you Phil for making it possible for members to easily post here,

Sumner
====================================================================

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Why go to those coves.. variety is the spice of life.. (and we can). A couple more from the same day. We also went under the London Bridge near sunset same day. FYI, the fridge has been running continuously now since the first of November. Its now pretty much the shortest day of the year with the sun low in the sky and the 160W solar is still an overkill for running the fridge continuously plus regular boat use. Each morning after the sun comes up and the fridge turns on (automatic turn off at sunset and turn on at sunrise), the batteries get down about 2.5 amp hours but that is pretty much it. The battery voltage is in float at the end of every day. I turned the temp of the fridge down a little and no more smell issue even with it turning off at night. Its been nice to have.. still dont like that huge panel but its not too hard to live with.

burro4.jpg
burro8.jpg

Last edited: