The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I have encountered an unintended consequence of cutting out the settee benches in Eclipse. Condensation. In Rockport Harbor we woke to heavy fog, which condensed on the cold fiberglass below waterline, which previously was under the settee and drained to the bilge. But now that water soaks the carpet. I'll need to add a false wall there restore drainage.
Thank you for the info. Something most of us wouldn't have thought of. The settees would also create a vapor barrier keeping most of the fog away from the colder fiberglass.

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
Who needs a dinghy when you've got a Mac Gregor?
We sailed Portsmouth to Boston recently. Heading back, approaching storms sent us scurrying into Essex MA and cranes beach. We anchored close to the beach and the morning low tide left us with about 4 inches of water. Eclipse leaned over nicely and we walked to the beach.
The first photo shows one of two anchors in the foreground. The second is us returning two hours later.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Cool picture!!

I miss-judged the tide once in the Bahamas but it was a sand bottom so no problem. Before it was on the bottom, I was worried that the boat might swing into the rocks slightly behind the boat, but once it grounded it didn't swing anywhere ;). I waded the anchors out further and when the tide came in pulled the boat out a little more.

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Nice picts of the boat when the tide goes out. I noticed that the outboard is up when you do that.. which is probably a REAL good idea LOL...

This winter Im going to keep an inflatable SUP stored up in the Vberth while the boat is slipped at the marina. I never need a dingy at this lake as we always bring the stern of the boat up tied to the shore with a bow anchor in the water so you can just walk off the boat using the ladder. But.. the SUP will be fun for when we are boat camping and also to just go down the marina and paddle around.. get some exercise.

Ive used the inflatable SUP a bunch of times now and I like the workout but its a little unstable (at least for me) when it gets at all windy. However it sit down rows fairly well no matter how rough the water with a conventional kayak paddle. A friend told me they use a folding "stadium chair" to sit down paddle the SUP.. so I picked one up. I sewed a couple straps right where the chair folds and these are tied to some D rings that came with the SUP. The stadium chair will always stay attached. I flip it back for when I want to stand up paddle and flip it forward and open the seat for when I want to kayak. This thing doesnt paddle as well as a sea kayak. but it paddles fairly well and is fairly comfy doing so.. good enough for being able to keep it on the boat all the time and completely out of the way when deflated. Last picture.. earlier I had mentioned towing the SUP between Two Harbors and Avalon along the Catalina Island coast.. The SUP towed like it wasnt there and no drama.
sup_seat1s.jpg
sup_seat2s.jpg
extra2s.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
Eclipse got a pair of chocks on the bow. I couldn't get underneath for nuts and washers, so I found stainless toggles. Vinyl board brings the chocks up to flush with the deck and 5200 seals it all up.

Attachments

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Denver Colorado a few hours ago, The "other" sailing season starts in about a month
cc_9_17_1.jpg

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
Vinyl board, also called cellular vinyl trim board, or Azek (brand) is available at nearly every lumber yard. Generally available 3/4" thick, in widths from 4" to 12" wide. Cuts with ordinary woodworking tools, and won't rot. Slather the mating surface with 5200 and screw it down securely. I use it for all sorts of things. It takes paint well, can be fiberglassed over. Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.25.43 PM.png

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
Next summer we plan to do some canaling on the Erie, intermixed with sailing the various bodies of water that it connects to. A boom tent is indicated. Eclipse has a bimini on the stern, but we'll need more shade than that, plus the ability to proceed in inclement weather.
IMG_2717.JPG
It's made of a plastic tarp, which is cheap enough, but rather hard to work with. Here you see it from bimini to mast, with sides snapped down to the hull.
IMG_2714.JPG

The sides can be unsnapped and tied up with toggles and loops, plus the forward extension from cockpit to mast can be rolled up and tied with toggles. Versatile.
IMG_2720.JPG

Then I rigged a mosquito net (designed for a camping cot) over the cockpit. You can also see the cockpit boards which make for a flat space for sleeping.
I guess it's not technically a boom tent, as it doesn't utilize the boom for structure. Instead it hangs on nylon webbing from the bimini to the forward stanchions This way it can also be employed when the mast is prone.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
We beach camp during the winter with the 26S and its nice to have a camp fire.. I just picked this portable fire pit up and tried it out this morning. Seemed to work fine and nothing melted. The legs all fold up and it fits in a bag along with a grate and the mesh cover. I think it only weighs a little over 10 pounds but its also somewhat flimsy. The fire pit will live in the bag stashed up in the Vberth area.

fire_pit1.jpg

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Eclipse got a pair of chocks on the bow. I couldn't get underneath for nuts and washers, so I found stainless toggles. Vinyl board brings the chocks up to flush with the deck and 5200 seals it all up.
I think you will really like the chocks on the bow.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-18.html

I use mine any time there is going to be a big blow and don't want the strain on the anchor roller.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-17.html

If you cut a hole in the V-berth you can gain access to that area but it is still hard working there....

Sumner
===================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
Has anyone else noticed cracks and leakage from the seam between the motor well and the transom? I get water into the lazaret with every rain. So one day while it was raining I climbed inside. Indeed the worst leaks were from this joint. Gotta fix it!
IMG_2737.JPG

Removal of the trim 'U' involves drilling out the rivets, and prying it off.
IMG_2741.JPG

After carving away a thick layer of putty/goo, followed by chiseling out what appears to be fiberglass resin with no glass in it - just brittle resin, and cleanup with a random orbit sander.
IMG_2743.JPG

I filled it in with shredded fiberglass (what to do with leftover scraps) and epoxy.
Once this cures I can put the trim back on.

Jul 3, 2017
MacGregor 26D Wheatly ON Canada
Your work looks great. If performed similar surgery. The trim was also in rough shape and a replacement was made using thin wall PVC pipe and a heat gun. After pop riveting it all back together the leaks were gone.

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
Has anyone else noticed cracks and leakage from the seam between the motor well and the transom? I get water into the lazaret with every rain.
Now you have me wondering! "Mistress" had about 1/2 inch of water in the aft laz when I bought her. Way less than was in the storage areas under the aft bunk. I just took it as condensation build up since she had been stored outside and was covered with snow. She has been under cover since. It may be high time to follow your lead just to be safe!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Heading to Lake Havasu next week for the winter where Im excited to start on some projects with my old Mac 26S. Projects are half the fun!

These pictures are all old but I ran across them the other day. I like high aspect foils. You need to keep water moving across them as they stall easier but they are also efficient. You can bring the centerboard up almost all the way and turn it into a very low aspect foil that is much less likely to stall for maneuvering at slow speeds in a marina. The first picture is one I saved off the internet.. dont know who took it. I took the underwater pictures a couple years ago when I moved the centerboard control to the cockpit.
P7270202.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2014
MacGregor 26S Chateauguay
Project Creep!
I was going to change the brakes on Egret's (Mac 26S) trailer from hydraulic to electric. Despite the assurances of the PO (previous owner) that the trailer was in top shape, the brake system was allowed to dry and rust!
Since it seems that the main point of failure of those 30 year old boat trailers is the axle, I decided to change that as well. Axles are inexpensive and the cost of the new setup was still lower than the cost of repairing the old hydraulic system.
While removing the axle I decided to remove the springs to check out their condition... Everything was seized solid, almost welded by rust so I cut the bolts on the front spring hanger and... The spring fell off!! The rear eye had broken off and the whole thing was basically just resting on the frame held by gravity. Some dummy had welded the eye to the shackle plates that are supposed to swing free, the stress cracked the eye. Same issue on the other side. So now I had to buy new springs because they didn't look too good and, in any case, the bolts were welded solid by rust. Springs are the second most common point of failure. I also had to buy new hangers and shackles for the springs! Lucky I have a good little welder and I'll be able to install them after cutting out the old ones I will also bolt them on for good measure. All this is done with Egret sitting comfortably on the trailer!
All in all the expense didn't amount to much, approximately $600 CAD including 125$ of UPS charges. All I can say is thank God we didn't take Egret to New Brunswick as we had planned.