The North Pole is moving!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I thought it was moving South.
As the article says, most of us now rely on sat nav, the compass is for us old people and hipsters caught up in the traditions of the past. It is understandable that the military has an interest as well.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The Sun is changing it poles from North to South now [flipping them]. We are in the Sun's "no pole" mode now [low sunspots]
Just like Sun's affect on our tides...

Saying this for a friend...;)
Jim..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This accelerating magnetic pole movement is seen as an indicator that the poles are in the process of swapping, which actually happens on a regular basis. It was one of the data points that confirmed continental drift. The debate seems to be around cataclysmic vs gradualism, which has had geoscientists tossing scotch whisky at one another for 800 years.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
By definition wouldn’t it always have to move South??? If I stand at the North Pole all directions are south.
When the magnetic NP aligns with the true NP, then yes, it will start to move south. Now is it south of the true North Pole, so it is moving N towards Russia.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
By definition wouldn’t it always have to move South??? If I stand at the North Pole all directions are south.
Actually, magnetic North never moves. The Earth shifts around it. For that matter, so does the whole solar system and galaxy as well. Pretty amazing really. ;)

-Will ("satyrist", Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg... It could happen. Maybe in 500K years. Who knows...

Or we could get struck by a comet and knocked off our axis and spin into the Sun.
Now that would be interesting.
To watch from the soon to be Moon Base.
But then there would be such solar radiation that we would be returned to a radiated primordial mass of goo...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
to elaborate or me confused?

I am ok with confused. Some have stated I am in a constant state...