1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

The Next Thing.....

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by nat55, Jun 28, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. nat55

nat55

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    184 posts, 196 likes
    Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37
    Un BELFAST
    I think it safe to say that all those that spend time on these forums care deeply about the ocean and the environment. The challenge for each and every one of us it to have a positive impact on preserving our little piece of the bigger picture. I've noticed that talk of climate change is a topic that I hear almost every day. It has been discussed on this forum as well.

[​IMG]

If you have a moment check out this link. https://krugerescapes.com/the-next-...0bpgjh_wvrtozqZ8FCC-lfj67jvz44uhoglrOkcfIDo30

Karl is currently on his way to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories to begin his adventure, being the first person to SUP the Northwest Passage. Karl is uniquely qualified to undertake this challenge, he is the only person to complete the R2AK on a SUP and fully recognizes the difficulties he is going to face, finding open water among them. While open water is good for Karl and his goal it is not good for the planet. Hopefully his goal of creating awareness of the changes going on in these critical environments will be well documented, and he won't become a meal for a polar bear.

Once this challenge has been faced Karl's next project is to work on preparing the vessel Ocean Watch for her next around the Americas tour. Some may remember her previous trip around the Americas that was well documented by Herb McCormick editor @ Cruising World magazine. Karl purchased Ocean Watch last year and will be skippering her around North and South America beginning in the fall of this year.
    We are going to get aboard somewhere along the route. It remains to be seen where.....I'll keep you posted.
    http://www.projectoceanwatch.com/

TomY and rgranger like this.
  2. Blye

Blye

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    22 posts, 32 likes
    [​IMG] We had a nasty night here and they are becoming more frequent.
    Having worked at a college that had a lot of far north Indigenous students I saw this coming years ago and it's real.

TomY and nat55 like this.
  3. nat55

nat55

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    184 posts, 196 likes
    Un BELFAST
    Thanks Blye, good to see you posting again.......did your students talk about the changes that they were seeing?

4. Blye

Blye

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    22 posts, 32 likes
    Quebec caribou being driven to extinction in some areas, structures tipped because of the permafrost melting snow machines that almost can’t be used because there is no snow no sea ice

Kids were complaining about this stuff in 2005

TomY likes this.
  5. Blye

Blye

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    22 posts, 32 likes
    BTW

There are a few of us that think it’s too late

We’re screwed

6. Tod

Tod

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    82 posts, 76 likes
    Montgomery 17
    US trailered

7. iSaint06

iSaint06

Joined Mar 2, 2014
    30 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Ocean Springs, MS
    Not if we act now. Vote the stupid people out. Do your part. Trump is the only world leader who thinks we're ok. We're not ok.

8. Tod

Tod

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    82 posts, 76 likes
    Montgomery 17
    US trailered
    tax me harder, daddy!

Gene Neill likes this.
  9. Blye

Blye

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    22 posts, 32 likes
    What nonsense. What the heck’s notrickzone? The Sahara, is getting bigger. It is advancing south into more tropical terrain in Sudan and Chad, turning green vegetation dry and soil once used for farming into barren ground in areas that can least afford to lose it.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180329141035.htm

As for cruise ships it’s only with the melting of the NW Passage they’re able to venture into the far north

upload_2019-7-1_11-22-32.png

upload_2019-7-1_11-23-25.jpeg

Will Gilmore and Leeward Rail like this.
  10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,767 posts, 2,760 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I'm confused.

-Will (Dragonfly)

11. Tod

Tod

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    82 posts, 76 likes
    Montgomery 17
    US trailered
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Choose your time period to promote your agenda?
    Can't fight the message, so shoot the messenger (notrickzone)...
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth/
    https://phys.org/news/2013-07-greening-co2.html

Before the Little Ice Age, the Vikings were exploring up as far as Ellesmere Island, but then the area became too iced over. Now that the ice age has ended and it has been opening up, the sky is falling, the sky is falling....lol But tax me harder, daddy!
    https://www.adn.com/arctic/2018/09/...summer-forcing-cruise-lines-to-change-course/

This climate change hysteria has reached the fevered pitch of religious zeal, all for the purposes of political power and wealth. Try looking at solar activity. Look at what is going on with other planets. The rings on Saturn are breaking up. Mars ice caps are melting. (it's that damned Rover we sent!!!! Man ruins everything!!!)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  12. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,591 posts, 4,307 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I found this discussion interesting.

13. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    3,214 posts, 834 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Alamitos Bay
    Desertification of the Sahara region has been going on for hundreds of centuries. Climate change is a recurring, as well as an ongoing, process. The geologic & fossil records are clear testaments.The earth’s rotational velocity has slowed from what it once was hundreds of millions of years ago due to tidal friction that the moon has imposed. The “days”are longer than they once were. Sea level has gone up and down repeatedly, etc.

What we have now is a politicization of recurring climate phenomena from folks who fundamentally hate consumption. Consumption creates waste. So, how do you drive down consumption? Tax it. However, consumption is a fundamental property of economic growth, which leads to prosperity-i.e., homes, families, and kids, etc. So, whadaya gonna do? The world cannot have prosperity, no matter how evenly or unevenly shared, w/o consumption. The world cannot have consumption w/o waste. Blame everything empirically evident on waste. Stop waste, stops consumption, stops prosperity—people suffer. But the planet goes on through its cycles, nevertheless.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Gene Neill, Daveinet, Misfits and 5 others like this.
  14. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,779 posts, 1,800 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    This is exciting, Nat. What an endeaver he's taking on! I look forward to hearing about your experience from the Ocean Watch.

Climate change is indeed on most everybody's mind these days. We're seeing the effects of the planets accelerated warming the last several decades, even on the coast of Maine.

In Pulpit Harbor last weekend I noticed a large construction barge. They had recently placed a wall of boulders on the shoreside of a cottage near the water.

High above the HW line, the cottage was loosing it's front yard, rapidly. The erosion caused by our astonomical tides, that are becoming more common with sea level rise, was startling.

Thanks for posting that.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  15. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,767 posts, 2,760 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    King, That is about as eloquently stated as I have heard it put yet.
    I would suggest that it isn't consumption that they hate so much as prosperity by the the wealthy that they hate. "They" are jealous and "they" both get attention by using hyperbole and shoot themselves in the foot with it.
    I happen to agree with the moral argument but not with the conclusion "they" are arguing for. I'm fine with others being wealthier than I am; it is just the right way to live to pay attention to our environment, consumption and waste.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jim26m, Misfits and jssailem like this.
  16. Misfits

Misfits

Joined Apr 14, 2009
    625 posts, 68 likes
    Sabre 28
    US NH
    No arguing that!
    Truth is the oceans are taking a beating & it really started with the industrial revolution, not "climate change".

17. nat55

nat55

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    184 posts, 196 likes
    Un BELFAST
    Here is the Arctic Ocean...from scenic Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories......Karl heads east in a couple of days....

ARCTIC OCEAN.png

18. walt

walt

Joined Jun 1, 2007
    3,297 posts, 407 likes
    Macgregor 26S Hobie TI, Capri Coronado 15
    US Denver, Colorado
    I have seen discussion like this go downhill very fast. However, I have also seen discussion on this subject stay civil. A simple rule keeps them civil and that is if you post some "fact" or data or whatever, you must post a link that agree's with you. You can still give your opinion or give conclusion that you came to on your own, but you either have to note that its something you came to on your own or give a reference that agree's with you.

As an example, some "facts" are listed in a post above. KG would have to find some links that agrees with what he just said. To some extent, you have to fact check yourself before posting. If you cant find a link that agree's with you, maybe its not correct.

We should try this (you must find a link that agrees with what you are saying or note that its just your opinion or that you made it up), I think it does wonders for the conversation.

Without this, I think the moderators will shut this down pretty quick. Requiring a reference also makes the discussion great for learning.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  19. walt

walt

Joined Jun 1, 2007
    3,297 posts, 407 likes
    Macgregor 26S Hobie TI, Capri Coronado 15
    US Denver, Colorado
    Most of the post above have given references to back up what is said.. If there is an attack, its on the reference, not the poster. Works well.

This is something I learned recently. A particular plot of ice core data for our interglacier period is used to show that the climate over the last ten thousand or so years has varied all of the place so its natural for the climate to do the same thing now. The plot is below and I got this particular version from this link https://www.carbonbrief.org/factche...res-say-about-past-and-present-climate-change (per the rule I suggested, I have to give the reference where this came from).

[​IMG]

I have seen this particular plot show up in conservative blogs or video and I always wondered where it came from. Its used to argue that temperatures vary all of the place normally. Another version from an Australian conservative blog https://jonova.s3.amazonaws.com/graphs/lappi/gisp-last-10000-new-a.gif

Some quotes from the reference I gave referring to the above plot.

Turns out the data is from a single ice core reading.

The plot below if from that same link I provided and is from the later 2009 paper that used six different ice cores.
    [​IMG]

Scroll back and forth between the two plots.. notice any difference? Anyhow.. I have seen the very jagget plot before (always on conservative blogs) and used to show that climate varies. Interesting that is was the first data out and based on only one ice core. The later plot based on 6 different ice core data could result in a much different conclusion regarding if our current 1C or so temperature anomaly "just happened" and is normal.

Now if someone responds to this, unless its just your opinion, you would need to find a reference that agrees with you. Ie, fact check yourself.

Attached Files:

20. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    3,214 posts, 834 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Alamitos Bay
    What are you saying? Give it in one sentence.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.