The Newb went sailing for the first time solo

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
Knuttle is right, as is Piotr, My Mac 21 does not sail well with jib only. Mine is a masthead rig rather than fractional(which means the jib/forestay goes to the head of the mast) with about a 100% jib which is a little small. On many boats other than this one, the jib is the 'engine' but not the V21. I can sail all day with just the main or the main reefed. keel all the way down, but rarely locked unless I'm sure there won't be a grounding. In this configuration, there might be a bit of 'weather helm' though. with both main and jib up, the boat is easily balanced and I have soloed many times in all but the heaviest wind like this.
Good luck on the 'new' boat!

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Knuttle is right, as is Piotr, My Mac 21 does not sail well with jib only. Mine is a masthead rig rather than fractional(which means the jib/forestay goes to the head of the mast) with about a 100% jib which is a little small. On many boats other than this one, the jib is the 'engine' but not the V21. I can sail all day with just the main or the main reefed. keel all the way down, but rarely locked unless I'm sure there won't be a grounding. In this configuration, there might be a bit of 'weather helm' though. with both main and jib up, the boat is easily balanced and I have soloed many times in all but the heaviest wind like this.
On most sloops, jib doubles the speed by creating a "jet nozzle" effect with the main. That's why the benefit of a jib is not it's surface area, but how it interacts with the mainsail. That's why carrying a jib alone is really counterproductive.

Apr 9, 2014
MacGregor 21 Topaz Lake
My rig is a mast head as well.
I do have a Genoa, but I'll definitely work on my sailing before I rig up the genoa.

Apr 9, 2014
MacGregor 21 Topaz Lake
Okay so today I took a little sail, maybe an hour and a half. I had fairly strong winds again today. Another breezy day at Topaz Lake. The wind report said it was 20 mph gusting to 22... This photo is when I was mototring back to the marina. So one question. Am I suppose to be experiencing moments of shear terror? I had a couple of times that it did heel a good bit and I popped the jib and main loose and it did right itself as I turned into the wind. I think a good portion of my well... panic is what it probably is, is that I don't know the limits of the boat, and I have never sailed a single hull boat to compare. I think I need to install an angle meter and figure out what is a safe angle and what is not. It might be that this boat is doing exactly what it should and has plenty left, I just don't want to find the limit by accident. Anyway it was exciting and the tips did help. I roller reefed the main about 2/3 or so. and the only issue was that the boom sagged quite a lot, so I'll have to figure that out.
The wind actually picked up a bit after this picture and the stays were whistling some.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
snip- So one question. Am I suppose to be experiencing moments of shear terror?
I think it's part of the challenge, so, yes. Our boats are light, and get tossed around pretty easily. Keeping her on her feet can be quite an intense experience.

I think I need to install an angle meter and figure out what is a safe angle and what is not.

If you need a number to tell you how scared you should be... Well, okay then. ;)

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I would say 90 on the clineometer is bad. I have to say, I have never reefed and I can think of more than a few times I wish I had. I do plan on setting up the single line reefing this year tho. The hardware is there, just never put the line on.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I would say 90 on the clineometer is bad. I have to say, I have never reefed and I can think of more than a few times I wish I had. I do plan on setting up the single line reefing this year tho. The hardware is there, just never put the line on.
Doc, absolutely worth the effort!

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Okay so today I took a little sail, maybe an hour and a half. I had fairly strong winds again today. Another breezy day at Topaz Lake. The wind report said it was 20 mph gusting to 22... This photo is when I was mototring back to the marina. So one question. Am I suppose to be experiencing moments of shear terror? I had a couple of times that it did heel a good bit and I popped the jib and main loose and it did right itself as I turned into the wind. I think a good portion of my well... panic is what it probably is, is that I don't know the limits of the boat, and I have never sailed a single hull boat to compare. I think I need to install an angle meter and figure out what is a safe angle and what is not. It might be that this boat is doing exactly what it should and has plenty left, I just don't want to find the limit by accident. Anyway it was exciting and the tips did help. I roller reefed the main about 2/3 or so. and the only issue was that the boom sagged quite a lot, so I'll have to figure that out.
The wind actually picked up a bit after this picture and the stays were whistling some.
No, you were doing it exactly right. And if you don't, the boat will round up on it's own, but I would not recommend it, as it means loss of control. The most I heeled was about 30 degs. The MacGregor manual states the boat (Mac 25) was designed to sail with a 10-15 deg heel angle. If you heel more, you lose speed. It also means you have too much sail. BTW, is the boat handling better with both sails up? 20 mph is the PERFECT wind for Mac 25 - not sure how V21 is behaving...

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
another way to judge if you are heeling too much is if your rail is in the water. One more thing - buy a couple of velcro straps from west marine and put them on your pop top legs to keep it down. That way even if you broach (lay on the side) the poptop will stay in place and water will not get inside.

Apr 9, 2014
MacGregor 21 Topaz Lake
No, you were doing it exactly right. And if you don't, the boat will round up on it's own, but I would not recommend it, as it means loss of control. The most I heeled was about 30 degs. The MacGregor manual states the boat (Mac 25) was designed to sail with a 10-15 deg heel angle. If you heel more, you lose speed. It also means you have too much sail. BTW, is the boat handling better with both sails up? 20 mph is the PERFECT wind for Mac 25 - not sure how V21 is behaving...
I think I am heeling at least 30 at times. Of course I might be wrong. I tend to pop the sheets when I feel that the water may come over the rail. It hasn't yet but it is certainly threatening it. It did handle better with some main especially while trying to point the boat. It still wanted to heel a lot at times, but I was able to get it under control.
I also am not entirely happy with the whole rollers reef setup. The boom sags into the cockpit and is a danger in shifting high winds. Also I am finding the main sheet wonky. It ends up right behind my left side and the rudder is in my right hand. This tends to happen right when the wind is making the boat heel. I would rather have the option to have the main sheet rigged to the front of the cockpit somehow.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I think I am heeling at least 30 at times. Of course I might be wrong. I tend to pop the sheets when I feel that the water may come over the rail. It hasn't yet but it is certainly threatening it. It did handle better with some main especially while trying to point the boat. It still wanted to heel a lot at times, but I was able to get it under control.
I also am not entirely happy with the whole rollers reef setup. The boom sags into the cockpit and is a danger in shifting high winds. Also I am finding the main sheet wonky. It ends up right behind my left side and the rudder is in my right hand. This tends to happen right when the wind is making the boat heel. I would rather have the option to have the main sheet rigged to the front of the cockpit somehow.
there are plenty of posts here regarding the main sheet. if you want the mid-boom mainsheet, then you'll need a traveller.

Apr 9, 2014
MacGregor 21 Topaz Lake
there are plenty of posts here regarding the main sheet. if you want the mid-boom mainsheet, then you'll need a traveller.
And I will have to get my Main modified for reefing :) so it seems that there is a hole in the water I can toss money into...

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
And I will have to get my Main modified for reefing :) so it seems that there is a hole in the water I can toss money into...
WHATEVER gave you that idea? That's what i said to my wife, when I installed a $30 new mainsheet block (used, of course)....

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Don't newbs have a tendency to overestimate both heel and wind??

Some of us LIKE to sail with the rail in the water - slow or not.
The sheer terror is known as excitement!

The terror lessens with experience and you know better what your boat can really do.
Usually the crew gives up before the boat does :p

Boom roller reefing on early Ventures is USELESS. Just my findings.

Our Venture has bolts to lock down the pop-top tight. Not yours?

We switched our main - sheet from stock end boom to mid boom. Don't have a traveler installed yet but I have one - no point in installing it until we replace our blown out main sail. We still get around.

When the winds are up and the admiral has had enough we go to mainsail only.

B.O.A.T. You do know what that stands for right??