The new Hinckley Bermuda 50.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
When this design first came out, the renderings didn't do it justice. It was ok...

But I finally saw one recently. I think it's a good looking design, in the flesh.
B50  (1 of 1).jpg

New boat design evolves and they will never build the old B40 again. 50(feet) is the new 40 today, anyway.

This boat has a nice scale of topsides to length, and looks - almost - low in the water.

Plus it has a great looking dodger.
B50 stern (1 of 1).jpg

Pretty typical mix of Maine boats here. Quite diverse, sure. There aren't many ugly boats in Maine. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There aren't many ugly boats in Maine.
I could be wrong, but I heard that there is a Maine law that prohibits ugly boats from entering state waters.

As always, nice photos.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
cant tell what boat that is with the blue topsides in the background but started to laugh at the huge awning on a Maine boat.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
We saw a B50 in Bermuda. While it isn't ugly, it also isn't differentiated from most other contemporary designs. I had to look closely at the cove strip badges to know it was a Hinckley.

I like the boat.

Mark

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
What is the mast height, the draft is 7 feet min? I don't see it as a cruiser being fairly light.

All U Get

Feb 11, 2017
It's a good thing I don't have the kind of money it would take to own a boat like that because I just don't like the new designs. They look more like amusement park rides than sailboats to me. I know, I'm old, set in my ways and have so many stereotyped views and opinions that I'm not who they're trying to sell them to anyway.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It was designed to win the Newport-Bermuda race. That's hard to do these days in a 40- yer old Bermuda 40 MarkIII.

Besides, as LP points not, new boats are being speced, designed and built for new customers of new boats, not current owners of older boats. If it does not appeal to you, then you're honestly probably not part of the target segment.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
There's not much in "specs" on the Hinkley website. But I was shocked, for a boat that size, that the fresh water tankage is only 120 gallons. I would have thought a lot more, but then, I'm not an expert on these craft.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It was designed to win the Newport-Bermuda race. That's hard to do these days in a 40- yer old Bermuda 40 MarkIII.
A modified Bermuda 40 won the Newport Bermuda Race in 2014. The B40 was introduced in 1959. It was Hinkley's first fiberglass boat. So, still a contender, apparently.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
What is the mast height, the draft is 7 feet min? I don't see it as a cruiser being fairly light.

All U Get
I feel the 'cruiser' of the last few decades, is sort of a dead idea these days. The Daysailer has had more interest in boat design in the last couple decades. People, that buy new boats, are looking for a different boat than the 'cruiser' that started a life style in the 70's and 80's and beyond.

Come to think of it, the B40 was more designed in the late 50's; the 'racer -cruiser' era (racer priority). It was a racer in it's day designed to beat boats winning Bermuda races, designed earlier.

As a cruiser, the B40 got small fast as cruising took off in the late 60's, 70's and 80's. Cruising boats drove the trend for years.

The B50 is more of an ocean racer that can do some cruising. But it's not a 'cruising life' type of boat. It's closer to a 50' daysailer than an ample 80's style cruiser.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Look at it this way, when all those current B40 owners jump to the new B50 there will be a glut of used B40's on the market so you will be able to pick one up for a song! BwaHAHAHA.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you are looking for a fixer-upper Hinckley Bermuda 40 let me know, I stumbled upon one in a yard last year moldering away. But I will warn you, your wife will tell you it looks small inside if you have ever allowed her aboard the newer boats.