The new AC boat

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
All I see is sailing slipping out of the reach of the common man
The command man will find his own way. Sailing like the pros may get out of reach of the common man but so did flying when jets became the standard. That slipped out of reach of the common corporation when rockets started flying in and out of the atmosphere. Eventually, those things trickle back down, it is just that we now get to watch from the ground as new planes pass overhead and leave us wishing we were there. The old style sailboat one-class is still there and cheaper then ever. It's the new racing sails that your competition just bought that kills us at the bank.
- Will (Dragonfly)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
All I see is sailing slipping out of the reach of the common man.
Not too many common men in the 20s could reach to own a J class yacht. That’s never been what the America’s Cup was about. Eventually some of the technology does trickle down, whether it be to laminate sails, winged keels, foiling lasers, or who knows what else this class will bring.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
And the reason folks wanted monohulls was so that it be more like "real" boats?"

IMO, that's even stranger than the last generation.

Which is NOT to say I'm not looking forward to seeing what they come up with! The wilder the better.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The command man will find his own way. Sailing like the pros may get out of reach of the common man but so did flying when jets became the standard. That slipped out of reach of the common corporation when rockets started flying in and out of the atmosphere. Eventually, those things trickle back down, it is just that we now get to watch from the ground as new planes pass overhead and leave us wishing we were there. The old style sailboat one-class is still there and cheaper then ever. It's the new racing sails that your competition just bought that kills us at the bank.
- Will (Dragonfly)
One of the most memorable flights I ever had was in a Stearman. A lifelong dream of mine. I've never dreamt of a flight in a rocket ;) . even the sailplane didn't do much for me, except for the phenomenal glide ratio.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I blame the pilot.
Maybe. I was just a passenger on that flight (schweizer 2-32) ;) . I think my boredom stemmed from being so isolated from the elements. I prefer open air and bugs in my teeth. even the sailplane loop was a non event ;) .

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
All I see is sailing slipping out of the reach of the common man.
The America's cup has always been an arms race. Nothing has changed, which in my opinion, is fine. That's the game.

There will always be affordable dinghy and beer can classes. No problem.

And that is just racing. Who said we have to race?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If you know the people behind the effort, and what they want for the future of the Americas Cup, and their experience in doing these sorts of things and bringing them to fruition , you wouldn't think it funny at all.
I was not intending to compare them to so many faux designs on the net that never come to fruition. I understand what they are doing is real, but just in the early stages. It was just intended to be a innocent poke at the superficial irony of your statement.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Big money and bigger egos always play in the Americas Cup, and sometimes it gets in the way of good stewardship of the Cup.

While egos reigned during the J years and 12M years, the NYYC did and decent job of presenting fair and reasonably equatable events. So did the Aussies and Kiwis. But LE and EB both where blots on the event, egos so big they felt the need to be both fait accompli 'defender' and host Yacht Club. So they totally wrote the rules to maximize them winning again.

Everything I've seen from Dalts and the Kiwis this time around point to good stewardship, and let the chips fall where they may.

The people of the antipodes are well known for their sense of fair play when it comes to sport.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
One point about the venues. The size of the crowd is totally dependent on the county the event is held in, and how sailing draws crowds there. In the USA, terrible. In Auckland they will have 100x the crowds in a much smaller city and country. They 'get' sailing. In France 350,000 crowd into a tiny remote coastal town to watch the START of the Vendee Globe.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
One point about the venues. The size of the crowd is totally dependent on the county the event is held in, and how sailing draws crowds there. In the USA, terrible. In Auckland they will have 100x the crowds in a much smaller city and country. They 'get' sailing. In France 350,000 crowd into a tiny remote coastal town to watch the START of the Vendee Globe.
Not to mention the satellite and tv coverage.
So, in other words, to say that it's "not about the spectators or advertising" would be somewhat naive then? ;)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Not to mention the satellite and tv coverage
The "video" coverage is essential (I was going to say TV/satellite, but lately, it is mostly Internet). The last two editions were made to be really interesting (I would say the previous series was even better). The racing was interesting, even for an uninitiated (as opposed to the match racing of 12 m, where you had to be an expert to see and understand the intricacies). One of the best parts of the coverage was the virtual reality (or computer graphics overlay over the picture); the other - the commentary by real experts.

Nov 8, 2010
Not to mention the satellite and tv coverage.
So, in other words, to say that it's "not about the spectators or advertising" would be somewhat naive then? ;)
Funny, but most of that’s an ego thing. These rich guys who spend the money want to be on TV. The organizing committee simply wants to cover the costs of holding the event. Some of that they charge the teams competing to come, just like any other regatta. some of that is make up through media rights. But they don’t have a huge vested interest in having that succeed on TV.

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
If you know the people behind the effort, and what they want for the future of the Americas Cup, and their experience in doing these sorts of things and bringing them to fruition , you wouldn't think it funny at all.
apparently what they want is X-games crap

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'd say the Vendee Globe is a French creation and has a huge cultural impact in France. The crowds in France are about national pride as much as it is about sailing, I'd guess. Plus, it's a simple concept that doesn't ever change ... solo sailor - around the world - nonstop. Easy to understand. Easy to become wildly enthusiastic about in a country that has a sailing heritage. Easy to build a tradition.

The Volvo Ocean Race seems to be building something and good luck to them if/when they do.

America's Cup? I'd say that it has forfeited it's national pride. It has forfeited tradition. Battles are fought in court. Teams have no national affiliation (other than the Kiwi and Australian teams, I suppose). From a spectator standpoint, it's a mess and the primary players don't even care, I think. I would say that the event in San Francisco actually made some progress in making the event a spectator-worthy event. And the graphics that Ellison commissioned for TV were extraordinary.
Was the event in Bermuda worthwhile? I don't even know. I never heard any buzz about it, even in here. My guess is that it was a total bust. Was it a bust world-wide? I don't know, there doesn't seem to be any commentary about it at all. I'd guess that even in France, AC is a non-event. New Zealand and Australia would probably have better luck in reviving some form of tradition.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The sad part is that America has an extraordinary and rich sailing heritage, though younger than the European heritage, no less important. I think that we have been forfeiting it for unknown reasons. America's Cup once signified our dominance on the oceans. I guess the format of a travelling trophy meant that it was inevitable that we would lose it at some point in time. Still, the reason for sailing to lose so much prominence in America seems to be a mystery, at least to me.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Last year I was involved with a regatta that received TV coverage in at least 5 different countries. Sadly, I was not able to find it carried on any station here, where the races took place.