The new AC boat

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Epic.

Retractable foils on a open-class style monohull. Real sailors setting real sails while diceing it up. Can't wait.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Why lift the foil? Is the boat not expected to heel at all?
I think when you get that sophisticated you could load her up with more sail and cant the windward foil to actually hold the boat down while the leeward foil holds the boat up.
- Will (Dragonfly)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Going to make windward boat must keep clear a little interesting!

Nov 8, 2010
Why lift the foil? Is the boat not expected to heel at all?
I think when you get that sophisticated you could load her up with more sail and cant the windward foil to actually hold the boat down while the leeward foil holds the boat up.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Both down for max stability, but also max drag. Lift the windward up and the ballast provides extra RM without the hydrodynamic drag.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Awesome concept, I wonder what's in the works for the AC after this one.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Lift the windward up and the ballast provides extra RM without the hydrodynamic drag.
I was thinking that was soon as there was enough heeling force to allow for the foil to be lifted, the heel would naturally lift the foil. Whay would be cool is to see the windward foil stretch out really far as a counter balance, like a person stretching their arms out when about to teeter of the edge of the dock. Maybe even pinwheel and go, "woah ... WOAH!":(
If you make the arm an upside down wing shape, it could help "fly" the windward arm down.
- Will ("the pilot", Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

Check out the cross sectional shape at the transom. I think they should flip that hull over. Flat side down, hard chine, inward canted or curved topsides, make her twice as wide. That's a planing hull.
The scow!
- Will ("the architect", Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Cool concept, plenty draft ! Very well done computer animation..
An immense structure will be needed to handle the loads where the keel/foils will be attached!

Nov 8, 2010
An immense structure will be needed to handle the loads where the keel/foils will be attached!
Indeed. It will be very similar to the canting keel mechanism usually found at the traditional keel area. There will have to be a big build-up of the hull at the areas the foils penetrate the hull to take the loading, and a substantial continuation of the lever arms inside, as well as two massive rams.

It will be interesting to see if the crews will be required to generate the power for that.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Assuming they’ll be fast enough for the apparent wind to be always forward, sail changes would be limited to Js and 0s.

Nov 8, 2010
Assuming they’ll be fast enough for the apparent wind to be always forward, sail changes would be limited to Js and 0s.
For sure. I think the days of AC boats running nearly DDW under billowing spinnakers are gone.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Fun! Looks like a big moth. Is that a wing main?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Are they going to be soft sails? From forward it looked like the main is symmetrical in the forward sections as a wing would be. Looks exciting. I'm not sure how different this is from the catamarans.

Nov 8, 2010
Yea its a wing. If you get past the practical issues most sailors have to deal with (storage, reefing, etc) they really are the way of the future. An easy call on a full-on race boat that will never leave protected waters.