The name game

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

Did you name your boat or did you keep the name of a used boat that you purchased? If you renamed a used boat, did you go through a renaming ceremony to keep Neptune happy? New or used, how did you come up with the name for your boat? Did you name it after a spouse or significant other? Another family member? Did you name it after a famous boat like Spray or Endeavour? Or did you come up with a name that expressed your feelings about the boat or your relationship to the boat, the water, and the wind? Share the story of your boat name and be sure to vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. - Quiz by Gary Wyngarden

J

Jay Tracy

Name Game

Our boat was a total rebuild. The yard manager wanted us to name her "SAR" (Some Assembly Required). We settled on "Job Site". My co-owner and I are both Architects so the name reflects our work (Our secretary can say we are at the "Job Site") and the 15 months of work required before we could launch her. We did the Neptune ceremony, but I was embarrased to let the yard crew see us do it, so we did the ceremony while she was still on the jack stands way back in the corner of the yard. Jay Tracy Columbia 9.6 # 129 "Job Site" in beautiful Narragansett Bay

C

Chuck Faraci

An obscure line in a Monty Python movie

"Watery Tart" Nautical, humorous, and just obscure enough that if you have to ask, it is not worth explaining.

P

Paul Akers

Our Getaway...

Our boat is our getaway. Also the play on the nautical term with our own name helped us choose the name...AKERS AWAY.

T

Tim

Shared Birthdays

We researched and scratched our heads over names for our new Catalina 350. I can't stand "cutesie" names ("Fanta-Sea") or anything with a pun. My previous Catalina 27 is named "Inamorata" but we didn't want to add "II" or "Too" to that. We looked at a lot of stuff on the internet and there are a lot of clever people out there - we considered "NoBarTooFar" or "FahrfromWerkin" (in the volkswagen typestyle) - for about a minute. My wife and I share the same birthday - April 4th - only 1 year apart. We were taking delivery near then, and decided that "April IV" had a nice, clear ring to it and would be something additional that we could share. She was officially christened on April 4th, 2003 and we took our first overnight journey that weekend.

Attachments

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Oh, I dunno...

How 'bout "Sailbad the Sinner"...or a couple of horn players in the NY Symphony who named their boat "Toot Sweet." Or some friends of mine who named their dinghy "My Tender Behind"...

L

Lee

I Got the Boat, SHe Got To Name it

When I started looking for a boat, I was after a bass boat, but all were either too expensive to buy, or too expensive to fix. My lovely bride argued that she wouldn't have much fun on a fishing boat and thought a pontoon boat would be better. Well, if I thought a bass boat was too expensive, a pontoon boat was worse. Then I found an inexpensive sailboat, to which my bride querried my sanity. After dragging her to inspect the boat, noting the great shape it was in, I knew we were about to become sailors when she said to me, "if we buy it, I get to name it..." (Cue the horns, whistles, and roar of the crowd!) You can see my adventure back into the sailing world at: http://www.members.accessus.net/~hogies/mac Lee

Attachments

K

KEN BOEHNER

I decided with the name COMPROMISE because I love sailing but at times I need the power to get in and out of the harbor safely. The 26x meets the need.

C

Charlie Gruetzner

After my late wife as well

After my wife died in a car accident I bought the boat for a place for my kids and I to get away and heal. I wanted to honor Bernie in a special way and that is where the name Angels' Grace came from. It is something she always sheds down on us

W

Wally

Name for Mac

Kept the name which previous owner had for the boat. MAC-C-MUM which is for Maximum. I have an 11 ft dinghy which I am going to name MIN-E-MUM for minimum.

B

Bob Noble

My late wife was my inspiration

We power boated together for years, after she passed and I decided to take up sailing, there was no other name considered. I had the dot over the I in Miss is an eye. So her name is actually I miss Lisa. And YES we had a renaming ceremony complete with a toast to Neptune.

Attachments

B

Bill Doyle - S/V Calico Dragon

Different but we like it

We bought our C-320 new and struggled with names. As my wife is Welsh, I thought a Welsh name would be interesting but she said no one would be able to pronounce it. We toyed with some other ideas but nothing seemed to be right. Then I thought why not tie in our cat who would be a regular crew member along with the Welsh thought and there was only 1 possibility CALICO DRAGON (the Welsh flag has a dragon in it). The funny thing was that after we decided on the name we called the sign maker and I can't tell you how excited he got about CALICO DRAGON. He wanted to make a dragon graphic with the tail or maybe fire breathing flames forming the name. We really disappointed him (and his bank account) when we explained that CALICO DRAGON was a sedate sailboat and not a cigarette boat. The problem is now with naming the tender. Clearly it should be called whatever a baby dragon is called but a friend's mythology profreesor was no help when he said that since dragons are mythological creatures, they don't have babies hence, no name for a baby dragon. At the moment we are leaning towards naming the tender PUFF but we are open to help if there is anyone out there that knows what baby dragons are called. Bill

P

Peter Meyer

Level of Ability

"CLEWLESS" seemed to fit for a first "real boat" and my inexperience.

B

Bill Doyle - S/V Calico Dragon

Clewless

Pete We have a sailing friend who also owns a power boat. Of course he named it the same as your boat - CLEWLESS Bill

R

Ray

No new name ceremony - a lot of repairs though!

We have named our boat "Carpe Diem" when we purchased her last year, 1990 hunter legend 35.5 . Since we bought the boat late in the season we have not sailed her until recently. I say recently because it took a while for all the repairs we had to do on the boat. The biggest repair being the engine. After three weeks of guess work from the mechanic (replace fuel pump, overhaul injectors, overhaul injection pump, replace exhaust elbow) the engine finally runs. It turned out that the exhaust elbow was completely closed. Since we renamed the boat the following has been repaired / replaced: Water heater - Replaced. Batteries - Replaced Battery charger - New (No old charger) Engine - Repaired Refrigerator - New (Ice box conversion) Radio - Replaced I am not sure if we should have a virgin pee in our bilge after renaming her. Anyway, we are very happy with our now functioning boat and we will do as our boat name says "Carpe Diem" - Sees the Day.

J

Jil and Dan

Four Amigos

The four owners of the boat have had three boats in partnership. When we bought the new hunter 356, we decided on a name that would describe our friendship. We call her the Four Amigos. When there are less than four in the boat; people ask us where are the other amigos.

J

John Phillips

Heaven

Being a Trekkie from the 60's as well as an avid sailor, I named my boat Sha Ka Ree. It is esentially the Vulcan name for heaven the source of creation).

S

Steve Watson

I named my boat after a male figure from classical literture.As a hopeless romantic myself with a quest to follow my dreams and to love even pure and chaste from afar(if reguired,)I named my sloop the "DON QUIXOTE"....and the quest continues..........

Status
Not open for further replies.