The Mysterious Hunter "30T"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean Strong

After searching the archives, I am trying to find out more about the Hunter 30 (88-94). If I'm not mistaken, sometimes this model is referred to as the "30T." To what does the "T" refer? Some infer that it is a letter appearing in the hull serial numbers, others to the cockpit design, still others the interior layout (due to the large athwartship double stern berth). Does anybody know for sure? Was this boat designed by Cherubini? Also, what are the major differences in the Hunter 30s built before 88, and 88-94 series? Thanks!

R

Roger Mummah

Not a Cherubini

Hi Dean. When we were in the Bahamas this past spring we saw a Hunter 30T a bunch of times. I think the owners said they were going to sell it when they got back to the US. On the HOW site list of boats it's called a Hunter 30 88-94. Don't remember what the "T" stands for. Nice looking boat and shallow draft. Betcha somebody at Hunter can tell you what the "T" means. Or you could ask the question on the sailnet Hunter list. The boat is definately NOT a Cherub. Hpe this helps. Roger Mummah s/v Endless Summer (h31).

M

Mac Lindsay

T

Dean; When the newer H-30's came out after the 83 t0 87 H-31's they had a sloping deck forward of the mast. People complained of not having enough headroom in the forward cabin so Hunter extended the coach roof making it a little more boxy but increasing the headroom. They referred to this model as the Hunter 30-T. If you can get a copy of the winter 1990-91 knot line from the local Hunter dealer you can see this model on the "What's new from Hunter" page. Loa 30'1" Beam 11' 0" Draft Shoal(bulb-wing) 4'3" Displacement 9,500lbs Regards; Mac Lindsay 1984 H-31

T

Todd Houge

Trunk cabin

Mac is right, When I started looking for a 30' boat, I picked out the Hunter 30 1988 or 89 because I think they are a better looking boat. The dealer convinced me that the Trunk cabin model was a better idea because of the increased headroom in the V-berth and the front of the saloon. I was never able to look at one of the earlier ones, but I have been very happy with the 30T. Todd.

D

Dave Swanson

Hunter Information

Dean, I had the same question that you posed only about 2 1/2 years ago. I bought a 1989 Hunter 30T in Seattle a couple of years ago and we sail it our of Everett. T stands for tall rig (50'). It has been a great boat for my young family of 5. Prior to purchasing it, I contacted Hunter in Florida and had them mail me copies of the original brochure. They have been exceptionally responsive and helpful. I also went to the Everett public library and did some research in the older sailing magazines. Here are some article referecnes that I found that provide a review of the vessel. You should consider getting copies of these articles to provide you with a comparison to other boats of similar size and vintage. Here they are: Thirtysomething, Crusing World, September 1988, Page 112. Trends '89, Motor Boating and Sailing, September 1988, Page 67. Boat Review, Hunter 30 - Family Style, Pacific Yachting, December 1988, pages 58-60. 30-foot Auxiliaries, All Around Players, Sail, April 1990, pages 70-79. Have fun.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
ATTN: Dave Swanson

Why don't you get a copy of the brochure for your 30T to Phil Herring. It would be a great addition to the Web Site! Then we would all know about the '30T'.

D

Dennis

Dave's Wrong

As others have said - "T" is for taller cabin, not "tall rig." I think the first 30T was 1991.

Status
Not open for further replies.