The May Gray

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, the May Gray is here off southern California and has been already a week. Doesn't look too good for the M-day weekend. Many boats will likely stay home. :sosad: Overcast to partly cloudy; daytime highs in the low to mid-60's F. The mid to late afternoons have been showing some sun but it does not last long. Afternoon winds have been decent for sailing under cloudy skies, all wrapped up for warmth. How does the PNW look?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I dunno, looks kinda sunny in the afternoons. May and June in SoCal is anything but sunny and warm. As you mentioned, betcha PNW has nicer weather than we do.

That said, I plan on sailing 2-3 days out of the weekend. Was thinking about going to Catalina, but those plans fell through.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Same here about plans. Hard to motivate the "admirable" with daytime highs in the low 60's--but much of it is on me as well. Had looked at going to Buttonshell Cove, a cute little spot normally (seasonally prevailing winds) in the lee of Long Point. Can anchor in as little as 20 ft close in; run a stern line to shore. I've also swung further out in 60-70 ft but always nice (for us).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It's been feckin' cold since October. With 1 or 2 exceptions.
Now it's just cloudy. And cold. And rainy a few times.
It doesn't usually get like this this far south. Usually reserved for SB, VTA and maybe LA this time of year.
I could have stayed in Annapolis for crap weather. Weather and sailing is why I came back home to So Cal. Never thought I'd be complaining about the weather ever again. :)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
80 degrees, blue skies and a nice 10 kt NW breeze in Annapolis today! Fish are jumping and the cotton is high!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Thank you for the report, Ira. (hope you get the reference)

Oceanside like the rest of SoCal. Was windy today when I was on the boat (still in the slip). Went up the mast to the spreaders and the wind was behind me. Had a sweater on but took it off to climb. Winds the last few days here have been very good. But I am still stuck in the slip until I can get the motor down. Dang!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Several days of gorgeous weather here in the PNW. Comfortably warm, mostly sunny skies, light to moderate cool breeze.
Oops! Picked the wrong narrative; Texas. PNW narrative, colder than snot out, heavy horizontal rains every stinking day, sun absent for weeks/months, thick dark clouds and either no wind or it blows like stink. Whew. Almost slipped there, eh John/Les?:stir:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Current weather in Vancouver BC says 75 F; 0% chance of rain, wind at 3-5 knots, from the east. :doh: Not much different for Seattle. Please stay away?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I dunno...I was over at the Island from May 9 through 13 and had a marvelous time with great weather. I spent the first three days at Fourth of July and *almost* had the place to myself (one other sailboat), and then headed down to Avalon for the remainder. Got some good sailing in over and back. Did some serious catching up on sleep and didn't even get off the boat once! (I didn't realize just how sleep deprived I had been.) When I wasn't sleeping I spent my time reading and/or just sitting in the cockpit taking it all in. The ideal Catalina trip! :)

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Sea Cup is leaving New London, CT for Rockland, ME on Sunday. Boat is loaded and ready to go. Not so sure about the crew? Forecast is for stormy conditions with chances of rain - rain we can handle, hope the stormy winds are from a favorable direction. Sails aboard will handle up to 40 knots of breeze. More research into winds (and tides) tomorrow. Departure, definite - arrival, iffy.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's been a typical May on the coast of Maine. A nice warm day here and there bracketed by rain and cool days. The biggest factor is the cold ocean temperatures. Even on a nice day, out on the water can be very, very cool. I'll take a day on the water in October over one in May, any day, on the coast of Maine.

Besides, I kind of enjoy watching all the boat launchings as I get my boat ready to launch in few days. As well as the travel lift, hydraulic trailers launch boats all day long right now. For those not familiar with this method, the big rigs roll around a circle in our Marine Park, and back down to the tidal water. Just shy of the tractors back wheels getting wet, the driver throws a switch and un-hooks the trailer, and operates the winch to lower the trailer down the launching ramp.

Once he see's the hull begin to float, the driver lowers the hydraulic poppets. The boat owner guides his floating boat back and ties off, the driver winches his trailer back in, and he's headed out. This time of year, it's not uncommon for another trailer and boat (+50'ers are not unusual), to be waiting in the circle for the ramp.

This trailer wasn't here for more than 10 minutes before he was off to pick up another boat.

Heritage launch.jpg
This 1962 Friendship sloop (influenced) design was built in Camden Maine. It's a working boat that does day charters.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Water temp in Maine was 52 this morning, good for the refrigerator. Bring a fly swatter and bug dope.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry... you must be careful to read the correct weather forecast.. You were raised to know that there is a local forecast and the one for the out of staters...

@JamesG161 as you can see I am still wrapped in foul weather gear.
IT HAS BEEN DOWN RIGHT MISERABLE @Kings Gambit Thank you for asking....

All we can hope fore is the weather will improve as May departs...