The last Wednesday in April, is a major photo-day!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Because people in New England should be getting their boats ready to launch. But like many Aprils, this has been a wet one.

I haven't seen anyone working in my small yard, yet. I'm getting some work done only because I have the boat covered.

This was a few April's ago, in my yard. Cool but dry. A very talented local artist - en plein air, was capturing the perfect color of brightwork topsides on this Cheoy Lee Lion(I think). Even the blaze of the orange jack stands pops out of the canvas. He's good!

The boat being painted, is (was) Ray's boat. A really nice old guy. He sailed it a lot, for years. I remember Ray even sailed in December for a few seasons when he was well into his 70's.

He'd work on his old boat in the off season and worked for a boat builder, full time(that cuts into sailing time).

Well, 'it' got away from him (the boats needs). Being the boat next to Ray (green tarp), I saw it coming.

Then the old boat didn't show up the next season (2015) and I asked one of the guys at the yard, about the boat.

"What happened to Ray's boat, Nate?"

Nate's straight faced reply, "Compost, Tom".

Collin en pleine aire (1 of 1).jpg

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Tom, It's tragic when a beauty like that 'goes away'. But the fact is that there are less and less folks willing to cater to a wooden hull - bless those who do! I've had a few wooden boats, a 16' Century runabout and a 19' Finkelday Lightning ('55, that beat a good number of glass hull boats). But I'll stick with glass for now - don't need the added burden of a wooden hull.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Tom - That's a really nice photo and a sorrowful story about Ray's boat, and I suspect there is one unsaid about Ray. It's very sad and I sure wish Ray well over the loss of his lady.

We often get artists in the Port Townsend boatyard. I wonder what it is about artists and boatyards?
Thanks for sharing.

-= John =-

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Looked at an older wooden trawler. Boat had a 'musty' smell, but it had been closed up.. Slid open a drawer under a berth - nicely varnished. Slid the drawer out - there were mushrooms growing on the planking.