The Laser

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The OP is a BIG dude. I would guess his 15 year old brother tips the scales at 150. I sailed a Laser at 140. I surfed it. I planed it. It basically tore that boat up in the Atlantic surf. No weather was too rough. I doubt he needs a smaller rig. I am hearing he needs a CHEAPER rig. A little elbow grease may be needed!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm sure the average 15 year old lad is big enough for a Radial or full rig but there is also the Laser 4.7 which has the same hull but even less sail area than the Radial. Great for young kids that want a boat to grow with.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
My first boat purchase was at 16, I bought a Force5. Basically the same as a Laser. I had a great time sailing it on Lake Champlain. I’d take it out when the wind got over 12-15, you need the wind to stabilize the boat. Lots of fun in wind/waves.
In my 30’s I bought a Laser from the Dartmouth sailing team. The boat was well used but still sailed well and was a fun challenge to sail on a 40 acre pond surrounded by hills! I paid $650 for it, sailed it for a couple seasons then sold it for $500. Great boat for a teenager.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
My 15 year old daughter is on one of the local clubs racing teams (she races the radial rig). She has an absolute blast in 20 kt winds. As amine Sail pointed out, the proper rig size makes all the difference.

But in terms of durability, the deck and footwell tend to "soften up" on ten year old boats. The core is foam and simply delaminates but this doesn't affect the sailing performance (hull is not cored).

Go for it.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I think the whole thing is Airex foam core. Mine is 40! years old still fine for sailing. The laser is easy to rig, easy to transport and cheap. If you want to race it, I think at the moment there is a shortage of "official parts" that will maintain its one design status in the USA

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I second the Hobie 14 for just plain fun and you can carry more than one person, say if your brother has a special gal who might put together a picnic lunch for them.
But I personally wouldn't consider either unless the water is fairly warm. If he is cold water sailing, a real sit inside the cockpit boat might be more practical.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If he is cold water sailing
if your brother has a special gal
Capta you read my mind. If I was 15, living in Texas where there are lakes and the warm waters of the Gulf, I would opt for the Hobbie cat every time.

Speed, Run up on to a beach, Girl in a bikini, food.

I think those are 4 universally wished things of a 15 year old male.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I have heard say, that class legal sails and other parts are hard to find. On the other hand, if you just want a boat to sail, parts are easy to find. So depends on your intentions.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
No parts issue that I have found. Just finished building up a racing class Laser for my daughter and every "legal" part was readily available. Both North and Hyde could ship class legal sails within 24 hours ( we went with a rolled North) and there are a number of inexpensive "training" sails available from a variety of manufacturers.
But there are enough legal performance items available to drain your bank account faster than a Yanmar dealer lol.

The Hobie Wave is an excellent fun boat too. Very rough with a rotomolded hull - and easier to sail while (trying) to impress the girlfriend lol.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The Laser brand went though some litigation but it was settled (in court at least) a couple of years ago. LaserPerformance stopped paying Bruce Kirby royalties. I heard LaserPerformance stopped making Lasers and parts for a while but it seems they are back in production. That's probably where the rumors of shortages comes from.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Simon,
I am a big fan of the Clark Mills designed Windmill. Plans are available on the Internet. It is a highly efficient planing hull and kicks butt on lasers. There is a strong community of supporters too.
If your brother is anything like you, I'm sure he would get a lot of satisfaction from building his own boat, then going out there and flashing past his Laser sailing buddies. There are also plenty to be bought from CraigsList as well. They are easy to work on too.
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/123445-windmill-or-sweet-16/
Another link from SailingTexas http://sailingtexas.com/201009/swindmill102.html

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Thank you everyone for your feedback! You all have been so much help, and I showed all of your comments to my brother and he's actually found an incredible deal: We have a friend in Galveston who used to rebuild and resale sailboats for a part-time hobby. He did this for almost ten years before he married and conceived three children; thus, his hobby came to an end, and he's been left with two boats sitting in his garage: An old Force 5 and a Laser. Originally, he wanted $1500 for both the boats, but since he's a close friend of ours, he was willing to drop the price to just $1000...for TWO BOATS! Zander told me he's not very interested in keeping both of them, so he and I both agreed to keep the Force 5 (as it is in better condition), and restore the abused Laser and donating it to our Sea Scout ship. @Will Gilmore , I actually always wanted to get my hands on one of those, and if I ever get the time and money, then I definitely will do so!