THE HUNTER 23.5 THE BEAM ARE ALL IN WOOD?

Jan 9, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Lajas
WHO COULD HELP ME? I HAVE A DOUBT REFERRING TO THE HULL OF HUNTER 23.5? I AM FOR BUYING ONE AND I SEE THAT IT HAS ONE OF THE FRONTAL BEAMS THAT THE WOOD IS COULD. AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ALL THE BEAMS ARE IN WOOD COVERED WITH FIBERGLASS AS THE FRONTAL. AND IF YOU CAN REPAIR?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been 23 years since the last 23.5 was delivered. In the future, I would suggest addressing on the Hunter small boat section. That appears to be the fuel locker? What year is your boat. In the past I have seen gel coat peel away from the fiberglass hull. No wood in the hull.
Suggest you peel away the gel coat and report back what you see. I was a former dealer who was very much involved with this boat introducing it for Hunter. I am approaching this from the stand point of investigative questions as I am not at the boat. I would suggest another photo once a major portion of the loose gel coat is removed so we can see what is going on.

Jan 9, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Lajas
ok thank Dave you very much for your prompt response. I will be removing gel to take the photo and put it on.
thanks again

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
This may not apply to the 23.5, but just as an extra data point, the 23 does have wood bulkheads, some type of plywood, that separate the sections of storage under the seats, and also back behind the settees. On mine there was some rot and delamination. I just try to keep them dry now to prevent further deterioration. I suppose if it got worse I might try to infuse the surface with some epoxy.
If the wood got so bad that it would have to be replaced I am sure it would be a big job and I think I'd have to remove all the settees.
It is not clear from your photos if those are the bulkheads that run side to side or the inside of the hull.