The hardest kind of math...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I watched the video on flushable wipes. And I read this thread. I don’t know what y’all expect me to do with seashells but it sure as heck ain’t gonna be wipe my behind!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I watched the video on flushable wipes. And I read this thread. I don’t know what y’all expect me to do with seashells but it sure as heck ain’t gonna be wipe my behind!
Scoop out the contents of a plugged head? :mad::yikes::mad:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Back in the 70’s I worked at a hotel in DC. We had some folks from the Middle East as customers. Even then the reaction was oh boy money. Took a whole floor.
3 days later we had a clogged plumbing system. Inspection of the pipes showed a clog of pebbles from the occupied floor. The hotel manager was furious and was going to bill the visitors for their actions.
A State department employee intervened in the issue and the hotel payed the bill then was reimbursed.
It appears it was a cultural thing for the Bedouin visitors.
Try to run pebbles through your maccerator.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
never ever allow TP in it. all TP goes in a special can under sink. easy peasy
Actually not necessary...and if you've paid attention you'd know that Dometic/SeaLand sells "marine/rv" TP. Do you think they would if it weren't safe to flush in their systems?
However, something you should know: I was an "authorized" VacuFlush dealer/distributor for nearly 10 years starting in 1989. That required me to go to the SeaLand plant in Ohio to take their "VacuFlush Certification" training. While I was there, they gave us a tour of the plant...during which I watched an employeed opening up cases of cheap flimsy no-name/unknown brand name TP and bagging the rolls in SeaLand "marine/RV" packages. I came home ready to add TP to our product line...till I found out I'd have to buy a full truckload--6,000 cases!!--to offer it for a competitive price. I was forced to abandon the idea because we didn't have enough warehouse space for that much TP.
My point is: you CAN flush TP, but not all TP. Premium TP is a bad choice because it's loaded with creams for softness and fibers for extra strength...it'll never break down. Some of the high end all china "thrones" have macerator pumps that can chew it up, but those fragments won't ever dissolve. And I think it goes without saying that wet-wipes are definitely a no-no. I've attached a photo that illustrates what they did to a macerator pump and will also do to a toilet. But there are plenty of TPs that are ok to flush...and you can easily find out which ones are: Tear off a sheet or two and put it in mason jar or even a large glas of water. Come back in an hour and shake the jar or stir the glass. If the TP is still an intact, or mostly intact sheet, it's NOT suitable for use in most marine toilets. But if the water is milky and all you see is "snow," it's the same thing as "marine/rv" TP (for a lot lower price!) and can safely be flushed through any marine toilet.
Wet wipes clog in macerater pump.jpg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
So, Peggy, do you have any "recommended" brands for non-marine TP?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Had a visitor on the boat once who flushed a wet wipe, hard to scold our associate pastor given the fact that I did not inform him of the special marine rules of use, so yes I have had to remove an easy wipe from the macerator pump blades, it was Wholly or was that supposed to be Holy together.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I read a post on SBO about how to test TP's. From memory, it was take 2 glass quarts jars of water.
1) One jar put 4 plies certified Marine/RV TP
2) 2nd Jar put 4 plies Test TP.
3) Shake to wet, set timer.

Test passed if it breaks up to a fine mix as does the Marine TP "Control" sample.

If I remember right, Charmin regular was better than Marine TP and much cheaper.
Jim...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Had a visitor on the boat once who flushed a wet wipe, hard to scold our associate pastor given the fact that I did not inform him of the special marine rules of use, so yes I have had to remove an easy wipe from the macerator pump blades, it was Wholly or was that supposed to be Holy together.
I keep a spare joker valve in the head. When I have guests, I show them the joker valve and explain that everything that goes into the head has to pass through that joker valve. They get the picture, especially when I show them where the joker valve is and where they can find the necessary wrenches and cleaning supplies. :biggrin:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
(I read it the first time, Brian ;))
Scotts "institutional" (Costco has it) is pretty popular with boat owners...but any of the cheapest no-name/off brand stuff at the supermarket is worth testing.
Also important to remember that when it comes to TP in marine toilets, less is best. If more than about 4 sheets at a time are needed, flush after each batch. If an overload of quick-dissolve TP creates a clog in the toilet or the plumbing, it's not a catastrophe...just wait an hour and try flushing again. Unless someone flushed a wet wipe, the clog should dissolve on it's own.

And on a slightly different note...you'll need a lot less flush water after solids if you add water to the bowl ahead of use. If your toilet isn't one that's designed to bring water in and hold it in the bowl, use a cup from the sink (I've always wondered why that never occurs to most people). If the water drains almost as fast as you add it, it's waaay PAST time to replace the joker valve!

Guests are responsible for 90% of sanitation system problems (failure to do any preventive maintenance causes the other 10%), most of which can be prevented if you INSTRUCT THEM when they first come aboard about how to flush your toilet (how many pumps or how long to leave their finger on the flush button and what can go down it (NOTHING except what they've eaten and the TP provided!). TELL them if they must use a wet wipe, it MUST go into the trash can...provide zipper sandwich bags for them. I've always made this part of the tour of the boat showing them where the light switches, how everything works, where the life jackets etc are.
--Peggie

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Scotts "institutional" (Costco has it) is pretty popular with boat owners...but any of the cheapest no-name/off brand stuff at the supermarket is worth testing.
Also important to remember that when it comes to TP in marine toilets, less is best. If more than about 4 sheets at a time are needed, flush after each batch. If an overload of quick-dissolve TP creates a clog in the toilet or the plumbing, it's not a catastrophe...just wait an hour and try flushing again. Unless someone flushed a wet wipe, the clog should dissolve on it's own.

And on a slightly different note...you'll need a lot less flush water after solids if you add water to the bowl ahead of use. If your toilet isn't one that's designed to bring water in and hold it in the bowl, use a cup from the sink (I've always wondered why that never occurs to most people). If the water drains almost as fast as you add it, it's waaay PAST time to replace the joker valve!

Guests are responsible for 90% of sanitation system problems (failure to do any preventive maintenance causes the other 10%), most of which can be prevented if you INSTRUCT THEM when they first come aboard about how to flush your toilet (how many pumps or how long to leave their finger on the flush button and what can go down it (NOTHING except what they've eaten and the TP provided!). TELL them if they must use a wet wipe, it MUST go into the trash can...provide zipper sandwich bags for them. I've always made this part of the tour of the boat showing them where the light switches, how everything works, where the life jackets etc are.
--Peggie
Hello Peggy,
This has nothing to do with TP. I have to replace my portable toilet. Awhile back there was discussion about portable toilets that were capable of a pump out set up.
I currently have a Thetford 550E. Would like to stay with the same company. The reason I stay with a portable is that my boat is of 1970 vintage and had no holding tank. There is no way I will spend the cost of purchasing all the components needed, and I can get it all wholesale.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD

--Peggie
In a related vein, attempts to conserve holding tank capacity (minimal flushes) often lead to sluggish pump-outs. Rather obvious.

I also gently remind folks, via large print instructions on the wall, that they can flush in stages if they want to avoid the embarrassment of a clog. Some guests like to use a whole lot of TP, and I'm not going to tell them not to, but the note reminds them that flushing in steps can help. Also, making certain there is enough water in the bowl helps (the paper should not be dry).

Finally, clogs resulting from too much disolvable TP can usually be resolved by adding a little water and waiting. They soften.

Remove Kleenex from the head. Folks may understand that wipes are different, but believe Kleenex = TP. Unfortunately, Kleenex does not disolve.

TMI, I know. So what.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I have to replace my portable toilet. Awhile back there was discussion about portable toilets that were capable of a pump out set up. I currently have a Thetford 550E. Would like to stay with the same company.
If you want to stay with a Thetford, you're looking for a Thetford 550P MSD...available from the sbo.com online store.
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?7810/Porta+Potti+550P
You'll think they only have the portable version till you scroll down the 'inventory' section at the bottom of the page.
(If by "wholesale" you're referring to whatever WM calls theirs these days, check price before you jump to buy it there.)

You can set it up for pumpout only, or--by adding a y-valve and overboard discharge pump to the pumpout line--to dump at sea beyond 3 miles.

Don't skimp on hoses for it...cheap permeates quickly. I'd go with Raritan SaniFlex...you can find it for <$10/ft and you won't need much. And because the MSD version is vented, unlike the portable units with sealed tanks, you can use a tank product that actually works instead of just adding a chemical odor to the waste odor. I recommend No-Flex, also available from the sbo.com store.
Peggie

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Anyone ever watch the TV series of the 60/70/80 called Connections with James Burke? Yeah, this thread reminds me of that show. LOL
Talk about your Connections. Stay tuned while James Burke explains how we learned to install porta-toilets on a sailboat from the anchient Greek discovery of market obfiscation mathematics.
:confused:
On the next episode of Connections.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat still has the original Jabsco electric sea water macerator toilets that still take care of business. Walmart brand two ply (cheap) seems to work just fine. In the years since 2002 when we took possession, one time several years ago my granddaughter tried to flush a wet wipe that choked our forward head. My fault for failing to make that point with her, but after several minutes, the macerator did finally chew and swallow the contents without having to take apart the pump. This Jabsco model (manufacture discontinued several years ago) has a flapper as opposed to a joker valve, which seems to work well. A rather robust system with metal macerator blades and a strong metal vane impeller style pump.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
If you want to stay with a Thetford, you're looking for a Thetford 550P MSD...available from the sbo.com online store.
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?7810/Porta+Potti+550P
You'll think they only have the portable version till you scroll down the 'inventory' section at the bottom of the page.
(If by "wholesale" you're referring to whatever WM calls theirs these days, check price before you jump to buy it there.)

You can set it up for pumpout only, or--by adding a y-valve and overboard discharge pump to the pumpout line--to dump at sea beyond 3 miles.

Don't skimp on hoses for it...cheap permeates quickly. I'd go with Raritan SaniFlex...you can find it for <$10/ft and you won't need much. And because the MSD version is vented, unlike the portable units with sealed tanks, you can use a tank product that actually works instead of just adding a chemical odor to the waste odor. I recommend No-Flex, also available from the sbo.com store.
Peggie
Thank you Peggy, I appreciate all the info. As for wholesale I was in the marine business and still have a active account with a wholesale marine house.