The end of one era, beginning of the next

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
It's hard to believe, but 20 years ago Bly and I started SailboatOwners.com with some good ideas, the energy of youth, and a hefty dollop of naivete. Back in '97 there was no Google, no iPhone, and Amazon sold only books. Independent brick and mortar marine stores were still a thing and sailboat manufacturers built hundreds of new boats every month. In our very first survey, 80% of respondents said they would never trust their credit card number over the internet. (Turns out they were right!)

It was a winding path through those 20 years with lots of bobbing, weaving, growing, shrinking, and more than a couple re-inventions. But somehow, here we are in 2017, still standing.

Today, feeling both excitement and nostalgia, we announce a change that will see this site through the next 20 years: SailboatOwners.com has been acquired by one of our employees, Al Fooks.

Those of you own Hunters will recognize Al's name. He joined SBO three years ago as a mission-critical addition to our staff, serving 23 years at Hunter Marine doing everything from assembly to production line management to warranty support to customer service. He brings mechanical expertise and contacts that dwarf anything we ever brought to the table. He is also a keen entrepreneur, which will serve you well.

Al's goal is to preserve the SBO you know. That includes staff, policies, and mission. Dave and Karisa will still be here and in fact, Bly and I will still be involved, albeit in different roles. Al's got some great ideas to make SBO better, too, and as he gets settled I'm sure he'll introduce himself and tell you more.

Bly and I have been incredibly fortunate to work so long in the marine business. Almost everyone who contacted us was excited to be talking about their boat, and that makes for a pretty nice work environment. Above all else, it was an honor to be part of this passionate, intelligent community. For all you have contributed to make this site great and keep our business running, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
What can I say but that I so appreciate your vision, ability, tenaciousness, responsiveness, and friendship. I think I've been on this for most if not all of those 20 years. There has been a lot change, but this is still a community of people who I value and trust. And, speaking of trust, I'm sure Al will not only keep those things we value, but will also, as you and Bly, keep moving it forward. Best of luck to you and Bly in your new roles and I hope you return to the water from time to time.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Phil,

Thanks to you and the team for all that you've done to build and maintain this great resource! Looking forward to continued excellent stewardship from Al.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Congratulations are in order and it is with pleasure that I find myself thanking you for this valuable resource.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
May the waves rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your stern.
May the sun shine warm upon your sails;
the rains fall soft upon your dodger
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Great vision leading to a wonderful resource. Thanks.....

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
I love SBO, have bought parts (and will in the future) in the store here, and definitely appreciate the hard work that goes into maintaining a specialty subject web forum. Kudos, congrats on the sale, and thanks for the dedication to the cause!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I too want to thank you for being such a wonderful resource and for providing such an important forum. Any time I've had a question or needed a part you've been there for me.

We've never actually met but in so many ways it feels like you are a friend. Best wishes to you and Al much success to you

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I'm about to finish the rehab of my 1979 H 30 C except for the 110 electrical redo, which I will leave to the pros. The job would have been impossible without this site and many, many of it's members/contributors/organizers, and I thank all of you for your help.

Now, I get to go cruise again for the last few years I've got left. So, I'll be thinking of you all as the sea miles add up.
Regards,
G.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Well I haven't been here long so my history is short, but I certainly appreciate the fact that this well run forum is here and it is equally good to hear that there is a future vision which extends beyond my horizon, like a wise man once said, "Nothing succeeds like success" you and Bly must certainly feel very successful at this point in time......KUDO's

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks so much for all the time and effort that you guys have put into the forum(s).. Really an outstanding resource for us addicted ones ! Looking forward to Al's stewardship and wishing you well as you travel forward !!..Best to yall !

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" (Emerson).
Best of luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Phil.
What great forward thinking to find someone you want to take over the burden of friendships you have created. You created a vehicle for us to create instant pen pals sharing the passion of boating.
Thank you.
May you and Bly have a wonderful next stage to your lives.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
change happens, always, what separates us is those who fear it and those who embrace it.
I'm sure whatever is in store for this place will drive it on-wards and upwards.
I'm a new face around here, found the place by accident, but have enjoyed ever minute spent on these forums and have even parted with cash to buy stuff from the store :)
here's to the next 20 years \0/

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Phil,

HUGE props to you and all involved on your side.

As someone that 100% supports people learning more and more about sailing, the value that SBO brings to the sailing community at large is immense. Thanks for all you have done, and I wish you all the best in the future

Best regards,

Clay

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Phil,

As a fully addicted follower, I look here first to fInd the as sneer to any question. You've created a resource not only for us and our sailboats but also that feeds our souls and passion for everything sailing. Your vision, stewardship and tenacious hard work have made this the premier sailing site on the Internet.

Al has some big shoes to fill and I'm looking forward to seeing the realization of his visions and plans for the future.

Fair winds and following seas.

Thank !!!

Victor
S/V Desiderata

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Thanks for setting this forum up. I bought my first sailboat, a Hunter 260 in 1998 but didn't find this forum until I traded up to my Hunter 356 in 2003 and then joined this forum. This continues to be a daily event for me to visit this site. Although I have not physically met anyone on this site, I feel like a number of them are old friends. Thanks for your support.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I long desired to own a sailboat and when I moved to Seattle on July 4, 2006 I jumped in blindly and bought an O'Day 27 in Salmon Bay within 3 weeks. Quickly thereafter, I found SBO when I needed it most. Now I have a larger boat on West Lake Union and when I walk my dog by your offices I tip a nod toward you guys for helping to support my passion. In turn, I try to support SBO whenever I can. You deserve all the attaboys coming your way. Good luck and fair winds. (And don't worry, if Wilson poops near the front door I'm always certain to bag it!).