The dumbest thing I've done

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I avoid saying her name. Seriously.
At least don't say it three times!:eek:
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetleju...:yikes:

No, seriously. I'm sorry you have to have something that feels like that, as part of your life, Kermit. Try an Ommegang, Three Philosophers beer. It's not called 'Three Philosophers' for nothing. Get the 750ml bottle, not the singles. It will help. (Once again, I'm wishing for that 'Yum' emoji: {-9 ).

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC

No, seriously. I'm sorry you have to have something that feels like that, as part of your life, Kermit. Try an Ommegang, Three Philosophers beer. It's not called 'Three Philosophers' for nothing. Get the 750ml bottle, not the singles. It will help. (Once again, I'm wishing for that 'Yum' emoji: {-9 ).

-Will (Dragonfly)
I’ve had their Witte but not their Three Philosophers. I’ll look for it the next time I’m at Green’s in Columbia. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
LOL ! The funny thing is, while illogical, confirmation bias says that it works. At least for a guy who used to work with me.
We would say the name of his ex-GF, 3 times. She was kinda wacko, but hot. The first time I did it, she showed up the next day. Later, she showed up again when someone else said her name 3 times… thereafter he would freak if you said her name at all. The real reason she showed up was that she drove a POS Ford Escape that needed constant repair, yet he was convinced that it was all due to saying her name.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I avoid saying her name. Seriously.
Boy I know that feeling! Had to find a different lady to cut my hair because she had the same first name as my ex-wife. Made my blood pressure rise just talking to the lady and she was the nicest person you would ever want to meet Unlike my ex who ruined that name for everyone else in this world who had the infortunate luck of have that same name.

Sam

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Boy I know that feeling! Had to find a different lady to cut my hair because she had the same first name as my ex-wife. Made my blood pressure rise just talking to the lady and she was the nicest person you would ever want to meet Unlike my ex who ruined that name for everyone else in this world who had the infortunate luck of have that same name.

Sam
I can’t even refer to her as the mother of my children. In fact, they don’t call her mom. Mostly they don’t have a name for her. Didn’t invite her to their weddings. Or tell her when their children were born. One even discussed if we should call the police if she showed up at the wedding reception. And I’m with you on her ruining the name for all of womankind.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Does installing the new lens, on my port / starboard combination light, up side down count? To make things worse, I only realized what I had done, late at night and after meeting a few ships.

Matt

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Does installing the new lens, on my port / starboard combination light, up side down count? To make things worse, I only realized what I had done, late at night and after meeting a few ships.

Matt
All sort of depends on where you are. This light has been perfectly acceptable for a very long time.

Edit: posted incorrect link :(

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
All sort of depends on where you are. This light has been perfectly acceptable for a very long time.

Edit: posted incorrect link :(
There is a town in Kentucky with lights just like this. Go figure.

Sam

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
When we bought our first boat, we were scrimping every penny and dime. I had purchased a POS Datsun pick up truck and we used that to tow our Catalina 22. When I bought the POS Datsun rust bucket, it was a Fred Flintstone mobile. The first project was to have new floors welded in. Then it got painted a nice cherry red. But crap, back in the early 80s, the replacement emergency brake cable was $150 and that was post poned... We towed the boat to Lake Erie for a long weekend. Well the weekend was over, I backed the trailer down the ramp, shut off the engine and put the transmission in gear. As I was walking to the back of the truck, the transmission didn’t hold and the truck rolled. The only reason the truck didn’t roll into the water is because the door was open and the door got caught on the dock. We had to drive five hours home at 60 - 70 mph with the door jammed up an inch off center and the wind blowing like crazy. Yeah, I didn’t spend that damn 150 bucks so I could spend another $800 getting door fixed. And yeah, I then spent 150 bucks for a new emergency brake cable. Ah, I got 70,000 miles out of that beast and sold it for $2K.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When we bought our first boat, we were scrimping every penny and dime. I had purchased a POS Datsun pick up truck and we used that to tow our Catalina 22. When I bought the POS Datsun rust bucket, it was a Fred Flintstone mobile. The first project was to have new floors welded in. Then it got painted a nice cherry red. But crap, back in the early 80s, the replacement emergency brake cable was $150 and that was post poned... We towed the boat to Lake Erie for a long weekend. Well the weekend was over, I backed the trailer down the ramp, shut off the engine and put the transmission in gear. As I was walking to the back of the truck, the transmission didn’t hold and the truck rolled. The only reason the truck didn’t roll into the water is because the door was open and the door got caught on the dock. We had to drive five hours home at 60 - 70 mph with the door jammed up an inch off center and the wind blowing like crazy. Yeah, I didn’t spend that damn 150 bucks so I could spend another $800 getting door fixed. And yeah, I then spent 150 bucks for a new emergency brake cable. Ah, I got 70,000 miles out of that beast and sold it for $2K.
Aren't you glad that cell phone videos and YouTube weren't around then? :biggrin:

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I am still trying to remember what town it was. It was a long time ago as I was riding with my dad, pre driver's license days. It was in eastern KY so that very well could have been it.

San

Mar 11, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Hilton Head, SC
I just was "gifted" a 1985 28.5 Hunter that needed a lot of TLC. Engine's running now, bottom stipped and painted for salt water (she was in fresh). First time trying to raise the main found a few slugs missing. Got slugs on, but main would not go all the way to the top. SO, genius idea, let's that the top slug and main halyard and run it up to make sure nothing is stuck up there, spent so much time getting the slug off the sail and on the halyard, FORGOT to attach a rope to pull her down! :(
I really don't want to go up the bosun chair... better ideas?

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Grandson/daughter, little brother/sister, nephew/niece, or hire someone and have them change the masthead light to LED while he/she is up there. Of course if you go up yourself you’ll remember the next time.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
At my home dock I remove the helm so that it is easier to walk around the cockpit. Makes loading the boat simpler. Engine warming up, PFD on, VHF on, handheld radio on, shore power disconnected, chart plotter on, spring lines cast off, bow lines cast off, stern lines cast off, all lines clear, shift to forward, breeze pushes bow to starboard...it is amazing how fast I can grab the helm, remove the keeper nut on the shaft, insert the key into the key way, slide the helm onto the shaft and refasten the keeper nut. Getting pretty good at it having done it twice. The looks from the crew were, yes, priceless.