The documentary film Coyote has been released.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A documentary film on the story and life of American sailor and Vendee Globe competitor, Mike Plant, was released last week in Yountville, CA. There's a trailer at the link below and a short review of the film appeared in Latitude 38 this month (November issue)--"the life and times of mike plant." Living in FL at the time of his disappearance on Coyote in 1992--it was big (and sad) news for all of us involved in racing.
KG

http://www.coyotedocumentary.com/

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Any idea how, when, where this will be released for widespread consumption?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Can it be seen on You Tube possibly?

The promo says he is a James Dean type character. After reading the book "Coyote", written by his sister, I'd say there may be more similarities to Neal Cassady, except for the economic background of his parents.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've seen the movie, its pretty amazing. VERY well done.

It's currently making the Film Festival circuit, looking for a distributor to take it into general release. Thanks to Mike's connection with Lake Minnetonka, the film was featured at the Twin Cities Film Festival, which was held about 200 yards from Jodi and my place. Due to popularity, they held 4 screening, the most ever for a movie. Now its at the Napa FF.

Its not what you expect at all. Its not candy coated, and its not built up glory. But at the end you think you actually have an idea what kind of person goes and does something like that. Listening to Kenny Read and Billy Black choke up when talking about Mike 30 years on really gets to you.

Nov 8, 2010
If the film gets 'picked up' it will first go into general or limited release, showing in a range of theaters. The number will would depend on the size of the release. This is the first best desirable option.

Failing that (or after that) there are two options, one or both could happen.
One is direct to video, meaning BlueRay/DVD sales or streaming sales via Amazon and the like.
Two is streaming via Netflix or one of the other big streaming outfits.

It will end up somewhere. The appetite for digital content is HUGE.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Based on this thread, looked up the book written by his sister, Julia and just finished reading it. My take is: he was a great sailor, jack of all trades with respect to his ability to deal with the issues one would face on an around alone but he was not the kind of guy I would want to be around. Self absorbed and way too all about himself. OTOH hand, his "finding his purpose" (a double edged sword and probably all about himself) in doing the solo deals was what maybe kept him out of trouble until it didn't.

Recommend the book! Coyote; Lost At Sea

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Self absorbed and way too all about himself.
So many of us are, though. I for one, think more of myself than anyone else. Well, other than Pythagoras, maybe Newton and Gödel, oh and my father and mother, and of course my wife, one of the smartest people I have ever met. My son is most amazing and I can't say enough about my daughter, she's going to be a great nurse, like her mother; well, maybe a few others. But really, I'm all about me.
Mike Plant does sound like an interesting character. I'll watch for the movie on Amazon or Netflix.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
I read the book a few years ago and my take-away is that the guy was off-the-charts complex. Certainly he had a charm and charisma to a fault, in that he could con just about anybody. OTOH, he probably had a morality that was also uncommon. He was revered in France for owning up to the fact that he accepted a smidge of help in a remote location where he was forced to anchor (ever so briefly). Reportedly, he reported the incident despite sworn silence from the folks whom helped him, and decided to finish the Vendee Race simply to prove his merit to himself. Despite his many faults, by the end of the book, I was won over. I think his sister's writing was brutally honest and open as to her conflicted feelings, as well.

Nov 8, 2010
he was not the kind of guy I would want to be around. Self absorbed and way too all about himself.
Probably like Slocum and Moitessier. Most people that WANT to do this on a regular basis probably are. Moitessier's wife knew she couldn't give him an ultimatum about sailing vs her; she knew he would choose the sea.

I talked with Julia at length at a book signing in Minnetonka. Writing the book was a cathartic event for her as she sorted out her feelings.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I once knew a guy who would not attend seminars or presentations of other people's creative works because he thought it might signify that their work was more important than his own.:doh: This is mostly arrogance we're talking about. When Coyote left NY for France it basically was not ready for sea--so it was reported at the time. Among other things, Plant had not registered his EPIRB--which is why the authorities did not know of his demise until after it was too late to assist. Apparently, he was getting too close to the deadline for the yachts to assemble in France for the start of the race and left in haste. Pure arrogance--one does not win in a contest with the sea; the best you can hope for is a draw.:banghead:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
If anybody is interested in the personality of folks that do these solo-adventures, I recommend reading the 2 books written by James Baldwin. I read "Across Islands and Oceans" and have nearly completed "Bound for Distant Seas". These are books about self-absorption, for sure. But they are also about the freedom to become immersed in foreign cultures, that can only, really be accomplished by travelling alone. Absolutely fascinating books imo.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
But they are also about the freedom to become immersed in foreign cultures, that can only, really be accomplished by travelling alone.
I worked with a guy who sailed small boats across oceans alone. He was between boasts when I worked with him. He told me his biggest moment of epiphany was when he was half way to California from Hawaii when he just decided to visit Tahiti. He exalted in the freedom to just push the tiller over and change course in the middle of the Pacific. That was his moment puff self actualization.:waycool:
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
When Coyote left NY for France it basically was not ready for sea--so it was reported at the time. Among other things, Plant had not registered his EPIRB--which is why the authorities did not know of his demise until after it was too late to assist. Apparently, he was getting too close to the deadline for the yachts to assemble in France for the start of the race and left in haste. Pure arrogance--one does not win in a contest with the sea; the best you can hope for is a draw.:banghead:
This is a gross oversimplification of what happened, and why.

Plant left late because he HAD to. Under funded and under staffed, he was still getting the boat ready and fundraising. The boat was still called Coyote because he was working up to the last day to get a major sponsor to name the boat. Many people, mostly volunteers, were helping ready the boat. EPIRBs were new and sadly the registration process slipped through the cracks.

The day he left he knew there was much to do but he also knew that he HAD to set sail for France if was was to make it to Les Sables d'Olonne on the last required day to be eligible for the Vendee. If he missed that day, all would be for naught. He had to go. Once over, he would have had another two weeks of prep time. People a LOT less capable had crossed with less prep. If not for catastrophic failure of the keel, he would have made it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
I talked with Julia at length at a book signing in Minnetonka. Writing the book was a cathartic event for her as she sorted out her feelings.
I was really impressed with her writing. We take it for granted that the subject matter is enough to captivate the reader. But it really isn't. She did an excellent job writing this book. She's not a novelist or a documentarian, yet she managed to perform this work with the skill of a professional writer, at least that is what I think.