The Canvas Store

May 17, 2017
Catalina 387 Chicago
Anyone ever used The Canvas Store in NY area for re-skining Bimini and dodger? Price is right, but website is down and I’m having a hard time finding a good review of their work. Any First hand info would be great. but I think i know my answer already. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
In our area i got 2 bidd for $3200 and one for $1300. The cheaper one had thinner glazing but for the price, I can replace it way more often. A lower bid may not be terrible.

Ken

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I would suggest you Search Canvas Store on this site. You'll find previous reviews.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Read reviews......... I live close by and have never used them.

Good luck

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Read reviews......... I live close by and have never used them.

Good luck
So NYSail, who would you recommend? I hope to get a new dodger for my 322 sometime soon. I summer the same place as you, Mt Sinai, and winter in Huntington.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
North shore canvas in greenlawn just made me a winter cover and it fit like a glove.... they do all sorts of canvas work as well. On my last boat Jim at sailors choice in amityville made everything...... new frames for dodger and Bimini....... real good work and realsonable.

So whats the name of your boat? Where do you keep it during the summer? I have a slip at old mans and a mooring out in the far southeast of the field.

Greg
Souleil

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I think that canvas outlets are fine for sailcovers, hatch covers, etc.; however, for Bimini and dodgers I believe the only way to get a good fit is to have one custom made and installed by a pro. Of course if you have an existing Bimini that fits well, it can be used as a pattern with good results possible.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
None of the good canvas guys I know would make a new bimini off the old one. They would come down and measure for themselves. Cloth does stretch over time, etc.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
North shore canvas in greenlawn just made me a winter cover and it fit like a glove.... they do all sorts of canvas work as well. On my last boat Jim at sailors choice in amityville made everything...... new frames for dodger and Bimini....... real good work and realsonable.

So whats the name of your boat? Where do you keep it during the summer? I have a slip at old mans and a mooring out in the far southeast of the field.

Greg
Souleil
My 322 Sol Mates, resides very close to you, NE far corner of the mooring field. A Ralph's mooring. I'll be moving there from Willis within 2 weeks I suspect. Have to check when the mooring is dropped. I stored her wet this year, so I'm already in!

Wait, a slip and a mooring in the same harbor? You have 2 boats or what?

Mickey D

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Private marina....... can have a mooring. It’s a nice. If I was on town dock couldn’t happen. Think I know your boat.....
I’ll be in 2 weeks from now..... weekends on the boat start soon!
Greg
Souleil

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
In our area i got 2 bidd for $3200 and one for $1300. The cheaper one had thinner glazing but for the price, I can replace it way more often. A lower bid may not be terrible.

Ken
Ken be careful of the low ball price. Make sure you get references and check out there work. He/She could be low balling you to get a deposit, and then good luck finding them. I've seen it happen at my boat yard.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
We would never make a bimini or dodger from an old one. As Capta pointed out, material changes over time and takes on a 3 dimensional shape, can not be copied with a 2 dimensional material. Tempeleting a bimini takes just a few minutes and makes a nice pattern from which to work.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I used them for a winter cover afew years ago. Had a good sales pitch on the phone, said they would come out and measure my boat, gave me a schedule of events and took my deposit. I then had to call and email them constantly to get them to even respond back with some lame excuse as to why my cover wasn't in my hands when they said it would be. It finally arrives, I rush out on the last somewhat warm weekend before the winter freeze to put it on........and the only thing correct was it was for my length boat. They obviously didn't come out to measure like they said they would. They used their "notes" from another cover they made for a boat the same make and model as mine. But we all know, no two boats are the same and all the stanchions, shrouds, pulpit and pushpit were in different spots. Finally got in touch with them and they said they would come out in the spring to mark the cover so they could refit it. Didn't get out to measure the cover before I took it off for spring commissioning, but did manage to actually come out and measure my boat that summer. After more emails and phone calls as fall rolled by, my new cover arrived. It actually fit correctly and was well made. I wouldn't recommend them based on their poor customer service.