The Canadian side

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi all,

We met a lot of Canadians this year in the Bahamas and laughed a lot about how we see each other. I wonder if they like their side of Mount Rushmore?

View attachment 136264

All U Get
I was in Australia (Sydney) for a few months several years ago. Many times upon ordering a beer a bartender would ask if I were Canadian (due to my accent). Finally, I asked one of 'em why it seemed hard for Australians to distinguish an American accent from a Canadian one. The guy replied that it wasn't really that hard, but if there was any doubt Australian folks would ask first if Canadian because if you asked a Canadian if he was American based on accent, the Canadian would get PO'ed :evil:, whereas the American wouldn't react at all when asked if Canadian.:D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, while in Adelaide I was invited to have some drinks at a local pub. I was the hit of the party because everyone wanted to hear my accent. What accent. Aussies have the accent, not me. LOL

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A gal moved in the unit upstairs from Indiana. Friends back home asked how the neighbors were. She said she had not met many, but there was one (me) she thought was Australian because he "dressed funny and had an accent". All I said was, "I don't have an accent". The funny clothes in August were a bathing suit and a tee shirt.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Hate to point this out, but Mt Rushmore faces east. That's Wyoming's view.
Whew. A voice of reason in what could easily have become a political discussion. Talk about heads in the sand. !

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ah, towards Mecca? :biggrin:
I'd like to think that they let the stone cutters decide what orientation made the most sense, irrespective of what direction they faced! ;^)

EDIT - Wiki says that the side was chosen partially because of the easterly exposure for the sun!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'd like to think that they let the stone cutters decide what orientation made the most sense, irrespective of what direction they faced! ;^)
If the stonecutters did have their say, it's prolly 'cause it was too cold in the morning, and too warm in the afternoon.
Leastwise, that'd be my rationale.
Ah, just noticed your edit.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
'Ol Brian is a moderator, and I made a religious reference.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm talking about ole Georgie in #10. Georgie blinked first.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
You don't recognized those eyebrows? It sure looks like Shrub to me.