The Black hulls at work!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It’s springtime in the Great Lakes, so the Coast Guard black hull fleet is out setting the ATONs they pulled before freeze over. It’s neat to see their anchor blocks, huge squares of concrete linked by a length of chain. A bunch of laterals and a safe water mark to go in. Go Coasties!

4CBA68DB-8830-44D0-AACC-803C9D66C1BE.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
Speaking of buoyage, the best way to get your marks down is.... flipcards!

917A36ED-3C86-4D15-993B-0403C49896E4.jpeg

The best way is to quiz your crew mates with both decks (IALA A&B) and ask them to explain for either heading in or out. 2 seconds to answer!!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Henry Blake docks on the river to Everett marina. It is also a black bouy tender, goes out and puts them back into place and was the bird and sea lion crap off them.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
They're going to need more guys to lift that block and throw it overboard! :cool::cool:

There are 2 whites, 3 greens, 2 blues, 1 yellow and one watch cap (did he forget his color?) … I wonder what the code is for those colors!

Oct 26, 2008
Its the USCGC Adler. 225 ft. Juniper Class buoy tender based in Duluth, MN
Yup, I can see the workers handling the massive block & tackle. I'm guessing the whites are engineers (usually in pairs and seen with hands in pockets ;)), the greens are the labor force, the yellow is safety compliance, and the blues are guests whom are along for the ride. The guy with the watch cap wondered over from the bridge and really should not be there without his hard hat!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our ATONs have been in for a month or two. Unfortunately our local NOAA weather bouy isn't in yet and likely won't be for the duration of the season. NOAA decided to change to a different hull design, saying it would be smaller and so easier for them to deploy on their own without the help of large tenders. Unfortunately the new design hasn't been refined yet so for the second straight year we lose out on what used to be really useful data.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yup, I can see the workers handling the massive block & tackle. I'm guessing the whites are engineers (usually in pairs and seen with hands in pockets ;)), the greens are the labor force, the yellow is safety compliance, and the blues are guests whom are along for the ride. The guy with the watch cap wondered over from the bridge and really should not be there without his hard hat!
Whites are closest to the edge -Deck Crew, Greens are touching greasy stuff - Engineers, Yellow hat is the bosun (who's probably really in charge) Blues are way back from the dirty dangerous bits therefore are Jr. Orfficers or safety officer or one of each, and watch cap is the media guy, or a gold plated orfficer who wandered off the bridge. Just a guess.

Nov 8, 2010
Similar but looks bigger than the Blake (175x36x8)
The Juniper class is an Ocean-going tender and is part of the USCG effort to create multi-functional craft in their world that had been neatly divided in 3 parts.

Black : ATON
White : Enforcement
Red : Ice Breaking

The Juniper boats are also ice breakers. They also have SOLAS and enforcement capabilities. More bang for the buck!

The 175 footers are Coastal tenders.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
There are 2 whites, 3 greens, 2 blues, 1 yellow and one watch cap (did he forget his color?) … I wonder what the code is for those colors!
White is safety, yellow is supervisor, blue is qualified rigger, green is new or breaking in(not qualified)

Oct 26, 2008
White is safety, yellow is supervisor, blue is qualified rigger, green is new or breaking in(not qualified)
Cool, is that marine code? I was relating it to what I often see on home construction sites. Blue is what we gave to buyers when they were on-site for a home-viewing during construction. White is what the managers and engineers wear. I am half-joking about us engineers since we often go to job sites in loafers or moccasins, we can usually be found with hands in pockets or leaning on something, and we only get grease on ourselves when we lean against something we shouldn't. The grease gets on our hands only after we wipe it off our sleeve. Believe me, I have experience! :(

Nov 8, 2010
Cool, is that marine code? I was relating it to what I often see on home construction sites. Blue is what we gave to buyers when they were on-site for a home-viewing during construction. White is what the managers and engineers wear. I am half-joking about us engineers since we often go to job sites in loafers or moccasins, we can usually be found with hands in pockets or leaning on something, and we only get grease on ourselves when we lean against something we shouldn't. The grease gets on our hands only after we wipe it off our sleeve. Believe me, I have experience! :(
I don't know. There is a PO3 in Duluth that answers messages on the USCGC Alder FB page. I asked they replied.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I was in a race several years ago off Kingston, ON in which we were to round a navigation mark as one of the marks of the race (I believe it was K8). As we were heading to the mark, a Coast Guard mark tender passed us and stopped by the mark. As they started reversing toward the mark, one of our crew radioed and asked (very politely) if they would be able to leave that mark for about 1/2 hour until the fleet rounded it. After about 10 seconds we saw the prop wash as the tender powered away from the mark and a voice on the radio saying "no problem, we'll come back to it later".
Good guys on that tender.