Registered users don't see ads

The "Betty L"-- My 1973 C22 Swing Keel

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by gdudik, Oct 27, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. greg_m

greg_m

Joined May 23, 2017
    279 posts, 90 likes
    Catalina Jaguar 22
    ZA Simons Town
    I see no cockpit cubby holes either on this boat - like mine does not have.

2. gdudik

gdudik

Joined Oct 25, 2017
    12 posts, 5 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Vancouver, WA
    Cockpit cubby holes? I have the storage under the cockpit seats where the art-most part of the seat flips up (lazarette). If you're not talking about that then, yes, I have no other storage.

I have a question for everyone: I pulled my mast down for winter storage and put it inside. Upon inspection, most of my standing rigging only has one crimp sleeve at each end, not two. With the exception of one forward lower, which I will replace, it all seems in good condition. Is it worthwhile to replace ALL the standing rigging because of this?

3. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,493 posts, 346 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego
    Those crimp fittings are called nico-press sleeves. There should be two at each end where the eye is, but like you said there is only one... I doubt there is any room to add a second one because the tail has been trimmed off. You can order a complete set of standing rigging from Catalina Direct for about $400. You can also make your own if you either a) have a crimp tool or you can borrow one, or b) you have a local store that allows you to do your own as long as you buy the parts there. My local West Marine has the big crimp tool bolted to a work bench, and its the really nice powerful Loos & Co tool. Sadly, unless there is a sale going on the WM price of wire and fittings is still pretty high compared to other places online. Just to compare, 160 ft of 1/8 316 SS 1x19 wire, 16 1/8" Thimbles in 2 packs, and 32 nico-press sleeves in 4 packs comes out to almost exactly $200 at WM. Not bad, but I bet I could knock that down to $150 with no tax at other online outlets. At least with WM I know I can use their bench and press to put them all together.
    Keep in mind, you really want to measure you rigging yourself. I have a list of the measurements at home from the original Catalina drawing and I noticed that my forward lowers are almost 2 inches shorter than the drawing measurement. If you order them from CD make sure you check everything first. It is worth going with new standing rigging if you can't be sure of the condition of what you have.

4. gdudik

gdudik

Joined Oct 25, 2017
    12 posts, 5 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Vancouver, WA
    Correct. There is no room to add a second one.

The real question I have is--should I bother? I have plenty of things to spend money on. Obviously I have one where a wire is broken and I will replace that with the proper setup and two sleeves. But should I be worried about the standing rigging that appears to be in good condition with no meathooks, missing strands or corrosion, simply because I'm missing the secondary sleeves at connections? As I understand it, the second sleeve is just backup, sort of like how in marine work everything gets two hose clamps.

5. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,493 posts, 346 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego
    Wire rigging can look clean but it can still be hiding crevice corrosion deep in the strands where you can't see. If it were my boat, and I knew it was more than 15 years old and only sing one sleeve, I would replace it. I mean it really depends on you and what sailing you are doing. If you are on a lake and nothing gets too crazy you'd probably be fine. I used Dyneema on my boat for about $100 to replace everything, but it takes some science to do the splices and get the measurements just right. Also, I had to have specially made spreader tips from Delrin so they wont cut through the fibers. Its almost winter, you have plenty of time to think over your options before you rig again in the spring.

6. gdudik

gdudik

Joined Oct 25, 2017
    12 posts, 5 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Vancouver, WA
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.:laugh: In the fall, winter, spring, I manage 400 youth sports officials for the largest local youth sports league. 2000 kids in volleyball, 5000 in basketball, 2000 in track and field, and a couple hundred each in lacrosse, football, and baseball. That's in addition to my regular 40 hr job. With one other guy, I assign, manage, train, and do payroll for these officials.

...and our first child is due in May. I have to be pretty deliberate about how I plan things.

Funny story: We bought the boat in August. Closed the deal on a Tuesday. On that Friday, found out she's pregnant. I went, "yes! Just in time:dancing:" She said, "If I'd have known I was pregnant I never would have let you buy that boat." :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Gene Neill likes this.
  7. gdudik

gdudik

Joined Oct 25, 2017
    12 posts, 5 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Vancouver, WA
    The lettering showed up and is installed. Now she truly is "Betty L." New halyards are here, oversized masthead sheaves are due to arrive today.

Attached Files:

8. Ellwebs

Ellwebs

Joined Jun 23, 2015
    27 posts, 4 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Vashon
    Good looking boat. I've been told nicropress sleeves are a no no. I've got 'em on my boat and will probably replace them sometime.

9. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    292 posts, 80 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota
    It depends on who you talk to. There are some who make their own rigging and still use the nicropress fittings. All depends on where and how you sail along with how often you inspect rigging. I have them but trailer sail so there checked every outing.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.