Thankful much?

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
The couple in the 470 looking thing in Lake Olathe, KS. You ghosted to the dock after the wind died and i was looking for a somthing to be excited about other than work and computers.

The internet?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My first experience was on a Thunderbird sailboat made by a friend of my Grandmother, Harold Driscoll.
We left San Diego harbor, past the armada of Naval vessels, beyond the surfers and Navy Seals training on the beaches of Coronado, out into the ocean. We headed south on the wind and the swell towards Los Coronados about 4 NM. It was a glorious experience for a 13 year old. We caught a Mahi mahi on a line trailed behind the boat. We had wind for the sails. Then on the return it died. We were about a mile from the opening and the tide was carrying us in till it stopped. So we anchored under Point Loma near the Navy's degaussing station. No cell phones back then. My Grandma was a bit concerned. She had expected us back at sunset. She did not know what she would tell my parents, what happened while she was watching me.
Fortunately all worked out. We were sighted by the CG and they called Grandma to ease her worry.

I am thankful for that introduction, now I have this urge to go back to the sea.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I'm thankful that we had no major storms to come through St. Croix this year. We are finally getting back to close to normal after over a year of recovery.

My forecast (wish) is not another storm over Cat 1 for another 25 years...

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I used to go down to Kemah for the summer for several years when I was a kid to live with my uncle Scott. He owned a 55 foot schooner, and used to take me out cruising most days on the bay. One day I asked him to teach me how to sail by myself, so he told me to put my bathing suit on and meet him at the dockside. A few minutes later, I was being shoved onto a rigged Sunfish and being told, "Have fun, you'll figure it out," and shoved off the dock. At the time, I hated my uncle for it, as I ran into various things and capsized many times. After a few hours, however, I picked up on basic trim, and was tacking my way back to the dock in time for dinner. If it wasn't for uncle Scott, I never would've learned the best way to sail: Experience.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Here's to my Pappy! Never met a challenge he couldn't turn into an adventure. Kept us in the shop all winter long learning building skills, on the boat all summer long learning crew skills. Born of the "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" generation, he was a giving man. Currently deployed to St.Peter's Yacht Club, when he isn't wingman to his grandson and the Fighting Checkmates.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Here's to my Pappy! Never met a challenge he couldn't turn into an adventure. Kept us in the shop all winter long learning building skills, on the boat all summer long learning crew skills. Born of the "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" generation, he was a giving man. Currently deployed to St.Peter's Yacht Club, when he isn't wingman to his grandson and the Fighting Checkmates.
What a great tribute. My Dad, gone 8 years this month, is probably with marines he tended to as a battalion surgeon.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Kappy, when where you Sailmaster at the Boat School? My son went there from 2003 to 2007 and taught sailing on the Colgate 26's his youngster year and was a Midn Skipper on a 44 from Annapolis to/from Halifax.
Hi classmate. My daughter was at West Point 2003-2007. She did not enjoy the football games against Navy.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
A friend took me out sailing in his Snipe. Then we raced. That was it. I was hooked. Went through about 10 years of Ensign Class racing in two different boats separated by a divorce. Met current wife, raced some more in a Pearson 30, then went to Pearson 39 for 26 years of cruising. We now own the Hunter. Great boat but what I term a "geriatric boat". Everything is electric. But we love her. Very much to be thankful for.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am grateful for the companions I have been blessed with all my life. My mother and father who made someone of me to be proud of, and my brothers who stayed right along side to also become friends worth having, and my wife who made me more than I was before I joined her in our cruise through life together. I am grateful for my friends and the incredible people I have been lucky enough to meet along the way. All of you at SBO have been amazing. Thanks.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
People come first but let's not forget the boats that connected us to sailing. I can trace my earliest recollection of sailing to a plywood Alcort Sailfish.

This design originated in the 40's but it wasn't until the late 50's early 60's that a kit form made them accessible to many.

My earliest recollection of 'Dads' in that era, was an army of suits and ties emerging from the daily commuter returning from the 'city'.

Many, like my Dad, couldn't wait to get the tie off and build something, ...anything. Original 'Weekend Warriors'.

These new kits of cut and milled plywood parts quickly gave them the fix they needed. Within minutes they were gluing, clamping and nailing a boat hull together.

These little boats were the hot rods of sailing in the day. LIFE magazine had them on the cover. Families with access to yachts wanted them, too.

I doubt Joe Kennedy built this one in his basement for JFK but you could buy them completed, if you weren't so lucky.

The design was the perfect introduction to sail, especially for a kid. They had drama; they could plane and they would flip over in the wink of an eye. But even a small kid could bring the boat back up by standing on the daggerboard and pulling on the handrails, located for this purpose.

Most of all, sitting on that plywood hull (no cockpit), the sandpaper deck chewing away your bathing suit, a small kid had full control of the tiller in one hand, the mainsheet in the other. You and a Sailfish became one.

There is a split second in a small sailboat, when you pull the sheet in and the rudder tugs at your arm. Suddenly you feel the daggerboard below combine all the forces into sail, and away you go, forever.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My oldest son was dating a girl, whose dad had a Catalina 30. He was telling me how great it was. I said, “can’t you get me invited to go with sometime?” . He did, and we went out for a Sunday afternoon sail with “Tom”.

Eventually, Tom and I got to be friends and bought a boat together. We were partners even after our kids split up.

Recently I bought out Tom’s half of the boat as he was ready to retire from boating, but our friendship and partnership was really invaluable in getting me started sailing.

My wife still doesn’t forgive him.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Greg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I was in Sea Explorers in Houston. We were sponsored by the Houston Yacht Club. One weekend there was a race, and one boat owner needed a crew. Was a very light air day, so he picked the skinniest kid he could find. Boat was a 12 foot plywood Penguin.

That was in 1957 and I've been hooked ever since :)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The good news is that Tom and his wife are still good friends with my wife and I, and we are still good friends with their daughter (who we thought may be a daughter-in-law one day).

We have other interests I. Common (convertibles, wineries, etc) somwe stay in touch.

One interesting part of the story is that missed out on an O’Day 322 that sold before I made an offer. I was really depressed about missing out on that boat, and literally bought the next boat I saw (a Hunter 280) and Tom boughtn 18’ trimaran he always wanted.

A year later, Tom sold his trimaran and bought half ownership in the Hunter 280.

We sailed her for a couple of years and out of the blue, the guy that bought the O’Day 322 emailed me to let me know he moved and the boat was for sale. I called Tom and we took her for a sail, and agreed we should make an offer. We took our wives out to a nice dinner, a nice bottle of wine and let them know we wanted to buy the O’Day 322, Tom’s wife said, sure...go for it. My wife on the other hand (the practical one in the group) said, NOT UNTIL YOU SELL THE FIRST BOAT. Well I looked around said, sorry, you are outvoted 3:1.

We bought the O’Day 322 and sold the Hunter before the end of the season, so all ended well.

So, without Tom, I probably would not have the boat of my dreams.

And my wife still won’t forgive him.

Greg

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
When I was a bratty kid in high school one of my friends had a sunfish in Ocean City NJ. Three of us often piled on and went across the ICW to Somers Point. Fast forward 20 years and after I became suddenly widowed in Florida with 4 kids, the bookkeeper in my office decided I should buy her 1971 Irwin 23 so I did. Through the help of good friend and the patience of my kids I learned how to sail it, Actually we all learned to sail it together and it kept all of us together and out of trouble for years. Apalachee Bay was very forgiving and a great place to learn and you also learned how to get yourself and others off the sand. My kids are all busy raising their own kids but I keep an open invitation to them to sail the upper Chesapeake with me when they are able.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
My first sailing was at resorts in the Caribbean on sunfish. Didn't know why I was always the slowest. Took lessons on City Island with Steve Colgate, AHHA!!!!!
Rented boats wherever I went: Bermuda to sail Hamilton Harbor, A Rhodes 19 in Oyster Bay with Phillip watching from his hill top home, Flying Scots on the Potomac, Catalina 22's on San Fran bay, and endless small boats wherever I roamed.
Finally bought my first boat in 2007, a Hunter 23.5 that I single handled til the end of this season. Loved that boat in low to medium winds, wrestled with it when cough in something higher. I'm too old to wrestle and want to go a bit faster, so receiving my Capri 22 this week. WKSR Race with Asym. I hope to go further and apply the sail trim I learn of on the net to a boat that has the ability to be trimmed.
Life has been good. The community of sailors that are willing to help the pro and the proposing to enjoy their passion better and faster is a community that I am thankful are here for me and all others..

Sep 12, 2018
Catalina 22 Westerly
I was born in April and would have been sailing for the first time in May. My parents eventually sold that boat to my cousin and I bought it from him. There has never been a summer in my life I didn't sail!

CindyS

Nov 25, 2018
Beneteau 440 Wellington
I am thankful for the persistence of a girlfriend who kept inviting me to sail after my divorce. I thought sailing was a slow boring way people passed the time. She showed me how amazing life is sailing, 5 yrs later it's all I want to do!