Terminal type or better option?

Jan 8, 2017
Catalina 310 San Francisco
Recently did some troubleshooting leading me to a broken terminal at what I believe is the coolant thermostat. Temporary fix is in need of either a new terminal I'm not familiar with (name of wire terminal?) or an alternative...the original terminal type looked very unreliable. Pic below of male end of terminal with temporary repair. Thanks!

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
the original terminal type looked very unreliable.
If this is the terminal you refer to, yes, it does.
image.png

You might replace that conductor with some marine grade type, crimped/swaged to a proper lug at both ends.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Not the best angle to see the terminal but it looks like a spade terminal (female) would work. and yes it is not really a marine grade (aka captured with a screw/nut) sensor. Unless yo want to go with a new sensor (they are all electrically the same inside if it is a sensor and not a switch) there is not much you can do except bend the spade terminal over with needle nose pliers after attaching it. Be sure to put a generous mitten full of high temp grease on the terminal to keep corrosion out. Corrosion WILL make the gauge read wrong BTW

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
That is the temperature switch, it tells your over heat alarm and light to go off. A non-insulated spade terminal will fit over the switch (there is actually a better type of terminal for this but I can't remember the name at the moment, when I remember I will post it). You should be able to get the spade terminal anywhere, marine store, auto parts store, box hardware store, from this site. This is a pic of a cheap one which could work for now.

The temperature switch is fine you just need to redo the wire connection.