Tension on forestay and shrouds

Mar 13, 2011
Seaward Fox 19 Lakeview, Ohio
Can anyone give me a good idea how to get the tension right on the forestsy and shrouds on 1996 Hunter 235? I've heard that a run of thumb is not being able to move them more than one inch when you push on it.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Depends on which shroud. Not sure acout Hunter, but the C-22’s owners manual has excellent instructions for rig tuning.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know the 1996 H235 rig but in general you do not tension the forestay by tensioning it with the turnbuckle. You set the forestay length with the turnbuckle, which to a fair degree affects the weather helm vs. lee helm characteristics of the boat/rig. And then you use other means to adjust the forestay tension. How much tension? That sort of depends on your local sailing conditions. If you sail mostly in 15 knots or more you want the forestay tension pretty tight to reduce sag and overpowering from the jib. If you do more 15 knots or under, or especially under 10 knots then a little sag will keep you powered up. Sag for power but not pointing. Less sag for less power but better pointing (You have enough power from the wind). Then there are waves. The interplay of all this makes sailing endlessly interesting.

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
Here's a link to the factory manual for the 23.5 https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_23.5_50853939.pdf
The setup and tuning instructions are in the Getting Ready to Sail section. Setup is pretty much based on centering the mast and setting rake by sighting and adjustment instead of on just 'numbers'. It may take some fine tuning after you've had the boat out in a breeze but you should be able to 'feel' it when it's in the groove. Have fun!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Please remember when tuning this boat there is no backstay. If you want to discuss I will be glad to talk with you as much has been discussed on this to include me as a former dealer. Look in the archives for tuning 23.5, 240, 26 and 260 which will be the same except the 23.5 and 26 have bridle wires to stable the mast sideways.

Look under boat info for hunter, then 260, then downloads and look st suggested mast raise suggestions first

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
no selden masts were on the water ballast boats by Hunter. Also I found often the stays were over tightened with the use of gauges. Further these boats had no backstays like the Catalina 270 did plus I was a Catalina dealer who sold the 270 as well.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Can anyone give me a good idea how to get the tension right on the forestsy and shrouds on 1996 Hunter 235? I've heard that a run of thumb is not being able to move them more than one inch when you push on it.
You can download the owners manual at the following link. Instructions for tuning the 235 rig start on page 27.
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_23.5_50853939.pdf

If you follow the instructions, you will finish with the forestay set to the desired tension. You don't directly tension the forestay. When you tighten the side shrouds, it pushes the middle of the mast forward at the spreaders and puts tension on the forestay

On edit: fixed a typo. The manual is for the 235, (not 265). Thanks to @Crazy Dave Condon for pointing it out.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@DrJudyB

Thank you for the referral but that boat has a backstay while the water ballast boats do not.

When the water ballast boats came out, I asked my friend, Warren Luhrs, to help me figure out a simple way to tune and what I advised other dealers and customers alike is what I teach without the use of guages with the help of Warren. Warren raced competitively, designed boats and owned Hunter. Thanks to him, it works for me which is why I will never change what I do