Technology is getting overly creepy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Steve. Many someone’s are buying the data. Google and Siri or Alexa are just the pimps collecting and selling it. This creepy thread goes over some of the same ground of the thread last year about the Circle movie. Or if you are older “George Orwell’s 1984”.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sorry @Maine Sail, but this does not surprise me at all. Does it bother me? Yes. Can I do anything about it? Not unless I want to be a hermit and live off-grid the rest of my life. Creepy is an underestimate of the situation. I don't care about the Government tracking me, they have been doing that since I live in Iran. It is the commercial companies and advertisers that I think should be slapped into next week for doing it.

Here is a list of "permissions" you MUST give your phone/app before you can use it.

https://gist.github.com/Arinerron/1bcaadc7b1cbeae77de0263f4e15156f

Also, there was an experiment conducted in which a guy with two phones, one on and one off, went around a city. Both phones identified the locates he visited. All of this information was reported to Google. The phone that was off waited until it was turn on before reporting to Google, and gave a little more information than the phone that was on.

Pretty much all apps must allow outside control. These are the apps found on Play and iTunes. The apps that do not use wacko permissions are apps that you can load only if your smartphone has been rooted/jailbroken. My phone is rooted so I load apps off-line from Google Play.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Maybe dig up a report on that "experiment". Maybe the NSA or the FBI can hack phones to do this, but if that experiment were actually true, it would be widely reported, and crippling to a company like Google (or Apple too).

That's not a list of permission you MUST give your phone/app. It's a list of permission for restricted actions an App can "ask for". Each one of those results in a new entry in the bullet list that you are presented with just before you install an App. Now, of course, few people read them, but security conscious people should, and you could ask (yourself) the question of, why would: "a game app want to PERFORM_SIM_ACTIVATION", or "some other handy utility want to SEND_SMS_NO_CONFIRMATION" . Requests for those permissions should make you think twice about installing that app.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
if that experiment were actually true, it would be widely reported, and crippling to a company
I'll bet that's not true. People are addicted and compliant, in general. They won't like it, they'll complain, but they won't stop using it.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A similar "Experiment" was done on a national cable news show. They went around New York with the phones. I'm just saying it was widely reported. A big sigh of resignation from the public as far as I can tell.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I will be junking my "smart phone" this spring when the contract expires and using my old flip phone. Whenever I buy from Amazon I use a dummy but real email address that I never look at. I never, never, never give out my cell phone number to any vendor. I don't do social media at all. Firefox blocks all ads for me. I live a pretty quiet existence unbothered by the long fingers of you know who, although they will certainly have some data when I do searches. Then of course Amazon probably sells my URL to everyone. In this day we, you and me, are the commodity being traded.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Blame Google for the chicken bones; same thing happens to me all the time. I don't care if they follow me, have nothing to hide. Seen an article where high end smart phones from China were barred from entering the US market on suspicion of having Chinese spy software. Big Brother is watching us to see our consumer tastes, weed out possible terrorists, poll our political views. It's funny I cannot get reception in some spots but they can track me all over the world.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't give out my email to any vendors, i only check my gmail every few months or when I know someone has sent me something. My techi brother sends out news report items of interest to the family, my mother passes things like cat videos along, but I tell them, take me off your list, I never check my email anyhow. Then SBO came into my life and where I use to get 3 emails a month, I now can get 75 or more in a few days just telling me someone has posted to a watched thread. I have willingly invited that in. That's almost all the email I ever get. Then I registered a domain name... It seems half the world wants to write and maintain and market my Web site.

One day, I was drawing a boat in Google SketchUp when a popup ad for Best Buy interrupted my session. I didn't have a browser open. I sent an email off to Best Buy telling them, I thought who ever they hired to advertise for them on the Internet had trespassed on my private property and denied my right and ability to use some of my own hard drive real estate. That instead of getting the Best Buy message out to my, they had lost Best Buy at least one customer.
Had a furniture factory in Michigan hijack my home page, I told them the same thing. I also tools them that I would consider no response and never hearing from them again, a good response. I got a good response from both companies.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Wireless power transmission had been around for a long long time.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Yes, that was a very dangerous experiment, a long time ago. The investors pulled the plug on that thing the day after it was first fired up. Tesla was a dangerous lunatic, as well as a talented innovator. His experiments in sympathetic resonance were second only to this boondoggle in the potential harm that was to be caused.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If someone were to market a cell phone that had no privacy intrusion & charge a premium for it, I would be interested to see how well it sold.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Yes, that was a very dangerous experiment, a long time ago.
So was the "Manhattan Project":eek:
_______
Frankly people who say they have nothing to hide, are the most likely targets.
They say that until their bank account is hit.:yikes:
_____
I am just tired of unwelcome intrusion into my electronics, basically using my computer for free advertising.

To find out who is selling my eMail address, I created a "proxy" email account. Most want an email, so I use the "proxy". If within a month, I see an increase in email for donating to some potentate niece in East Hemisphere, then I know who sold it.:kick:

Google, it you agree to their TOS, has the right you use your computer as a storage and active program location. In other words they don't have to buy more computer/servers as often, when they can enslave yours.:doh:

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yes, that was a very dangerous experiment, a long time ago. The investors pulled the plug on that thing the day after it was first fired up.

https://www.sott.net/article/241580-Nikola-Tesla-Was-Murdered-by-Otto-Skorzeny
This guy, who sat in that chair, exposed to his electromagnetic fields more than most anyone would ever be, live to be 86. Whether you believe he was murdered or not. Wardenclyffe was condemned and destroyed twice. No one, could have judge whether or not Tesla's experiments were dangerous, yet, despite his obvious genius and history of success, he was shut down.
The Philadelphia Experiment is shrouded in deception and misinformation. Tesla was 86 when he died in January of 1943. The Philadelphia Experiment was conducted in October of that year.
While I know he had OCD. I don't know about any evidence of lunacy or irresponsible disregard for safety.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nikola Tesla built an electric car using a Ford model T and a 90 HP Westinghouse multi-phase induction motor. He then hooked up a little black wooden box with two or three holes in the top and electrical leads for the motor. Pulling out a couple or three metal rod (depending on who's reporting you read) he shoved them into the holes while declaring, "We have power" and off he would go with a top speed reported of about 90 mph and the most conservative report of a range approximately 300 miles. The least conservative report was an unlimited range, because he was supposedly also connected to two antenna through which he inducted the energy out of the atmosphere.
He tested his car around Texas with a nephew, as his assistant. He reportedly had electronics in the little black box that he had bought at a local electronics store. He relied on a driven oscillating electro-magnetic system to recycle AC power through three phases of the motor.
The newspapers reported on it and he was accused of charlatanism. Doubters speculated that he had secretly stored the energy in the ground instead of inducting it out of the air or manufacturing it in the black box. (Frankly, storing energy in the ground is just as amazing). The car is on display at a Tesla museum in Serbia, the little black box is gone, along with all his research and paperwork from Wardenclyffe when they tore it down for the last time.

The US government supposedly has all his research and it is still classified, even through numerous petitions have been presented over the years to declassify it. I don't know about that part, only that I have read about people speculating or reporting it to be so.

Elon Musk named his car in honor of Nikola's car. So, yes, that's the same Tesla.:clap:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
"We have power" and ...
That what I say...
Every time we "induct energy" from the atmosphere.
Normally followed by the Capt'n's orders of...
"Tighten the Main and Jib sheets" [long control cables made from some secret fibers]
Conservative reports say we went 7 knots for 5 miles.
In addition to that, guests noted the "black flexible sheet" on the deck that "induced atmospheric power" to charge a hidden black box, that reportedly starts his main engine, which uses fuel "induced from the ground":yikes:
_____
A reporter later heard, the near drunken Capt'n... mumble his secret...
"I have a single source of power for all" hic hic "... my nuclear fusion reactor."
The news reports described him as snoring with a big SMILE on his face as he rested from his days labor.:biggrin:

Jim...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A reporter later heard, the near drunken Capt'n... mumble his secret...
"I have a single source of power for all" hic hic "... my nuclear fusion reactor."
I've heard that from other, so called, "scientists". Pure charlatanism, I say:hook2:
You can't run a boat on invisible forces without a lot of noise and smoke! Ba, humbug! :poke:

- Will (Dragonfly)