Technology is getting overly creepy

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You are going to need to explain that one to me.
Every wonder why you don't lose you phone list and other info when you change batteries?
It is not a lot of power, but there is small storage of power.
Enough power to maintain the "Creepy" info, that is part of this Post.

My point was... the only thing that STOPS cellular connection is the LACK of your Sim Card.

I accidentally left my phone on and the battery went "dead". It would not start, connect, or wake up the screen [todays iStuff shuts down to protect from this]. It finally showed a BATT screen at 3% and didn't link up until 10%.
Guess what, I didn't lose any list, messages, or programmed info.;)

______
Cite your assertions.
I was a Ham Operator. RF emissions alone can power small thing.
Have you ever seen a "no battery perpetual motion" clock? I have. It uses RF antenna reception to power it.

Jim....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Enough to transmit?
Not until you replace your battery.;)
Not enough to propagate the cell phone RF frequency a long distance, but enough power to hold info in memory.
The cell and bluetooth use Radio Frequency to communicate. Bluetooth passes FCC needs from low power RF, thus increasing distance breaks the BT signal.
Jim...

PS:
Cite your assertions.
Say what? :ass:
I am kidding , but since when does anyone in SBO do this? This is not a Thesis. Take my Humble Assertions or blow them off.:p
Besame el C....:pimp:

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Every wonder why you don't lose you phone list and other info when you change batteries?
I believe that would be non-volitile memory (AKA storage), rather than battery backed memory. Various flavors of PROM chips fall into this category. If it lasted only a short time while changing batteries, then I would expect it to be capacitor backed volatile memory.

Have you ever seen a "no battery perpetual motion" clock? I have. It uses RF antenna reception to power it..
That would get power just like the externally powered interrogation that I referenced earlier. In that case, the RF is the external power. That's how a lot of the toll passes on people's windshields work. That is why many of them don't need batteries in them.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If you want to talk about real creepy possibilities in modern tech, take a listen around timestamp 6:00 here -

That's not some nutjob conspiracy website. That is SanDeigo news channel 6

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
capacitor backed volatile memory
:plus::plus:
Ancient [late 1960's] computers used a small circuit board battery to maintain the system clock, before internet. Like all batteries--that may even use semi reversible chemical reactions to reuse them, but they are capacitors.;)
End of my "creepy info" rant. I didn't mean to :hijack: but my point is still Sim Card stops transmissions.
Going Sailing at 7am...:snooze:
Jim...

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston

My point was... the only thing that STOPS cellular connection is the LACK of your Sim Card.

I accidentally left my phone on and the battery went "dead". It would not start, connect, or wake up the screen [todays iStuff shuts down to protect from this]. It finally showed a BATT screen at 3% and didn't link up until 10%.
Guess what, I didn't lose any list, messages, or programmed info.;)

______

Have you ever seen a "no battery perpetual motion" clock? I have. It uses RF antenna reception to power it.

Jim....
unrelated. No power is needed to maintain stored data on a cell phone, camera, go pro,SD card, CF card, USB drive, etc.. Period.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Fyi. Android is open source. That means 1000's or 100's of thousands of developers have access to it and regularly review it. Doesn't mean various apps can't be somewhat nefarious, but it means that fundamentally Android is unlikely to have holes where it can listen to your Mic.

Apple and Google actively pay developers to find bugs and security weaknesses.

Google already states openly that your data is used for advertising, why on earth would they expend massive resources, that would require unbelievable amounts of security, obfuscation, time, money and incalculable risk to their corporate reputation to try to gain that one millionth of a percent of their existing advertising revenu from people who turn their phones off.

They got hung out to dry by inadvertently collection available to anyone Wi-Fi data from their Google maps vehicles.

They already get enough information willingly and easily, to target their ads.

Everyone may be (should be?) surprised how well modern AI algorithms, given enough data, can predict things you might like to buy.

NSA has the type of resources to make nefarious hacks for devices, but no-one would bother to do it for advertising reasons.

It's not too hard to watch every packet of data leaving a phone or tablet. Even if encrypted, you and thousands of other developers or hackers would have identified suspicious data.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of bad actors out there on the internet, but it's typically state sponsored organizations that can do the kinds of things you've been worrying about.

Chris

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think we can blame Tesla for the Cell Phone, but we can't blame him for the mess we've made of our modern life through its and the Internet's use.
If you think about how the Information technology has practically been shoved down our throats from the beginning: free computers in schools in the 80's, the Internet initiatives for schools and libraries in the 90's, the state sponsored "Internet for everyone" campaigns, there is a George Orwellian sense around the whole connectivity. We didn't take our time before viewing connectivity and Internet access as an essential right. Lots of hyperbole about growing economic class gaps between those with information access and those without.
Was there a larger plan from the beginning? Maybe, but it could just be everyone exploiting an evolving economic environment without regard for the future implications. We do seem to be entrapping ourselves with our poor control and bad behaviors which we have managed to make more and more public without the ability to restrain it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't understand you.
Tesla developed nearly all the technology essential to cell phone technology. Marconi used Tesla's original ideas and design to build the first radio and take credit for its invention. Tesla demonstrated wireless power transmission at the Chicago World's Fair, where people actually avoided his booth because they thought he was practicing magic from Satan. Tesla invented the fluorescent light bulb that lead to the invention of phosphor luminous CRT screens and eventually to the development of LED screens. Tesla invented the magnetic rotating field and electromagnetic science owes more to his work than any other scientist. Without Tesla's work, we would still be using vacuum tubes and incandescent light bulbs. Although, that is just a personal assertion. I have nothing to back that last statement up. It is also my experience, as a student of History, that technology tends to develop when its time comes, regardless of who the specific instrument of invention is.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Tesla developed nearly all the technology essential to cell phone technology. Marconi used Tesla's original ideas and design to build the first radio and take credit for its invention. Tesla demonstrated wireless power transmission at the Chicago World's Fair, where people actually avoided his booth because they thought he was practicing magic from Satan. Tesla invented the fluorescent light bulb that lead to the invention of phosphor luminous CRT screens and eventually to the development of LED screens. Tesla invented the magnetic rotating field and electromagnetic science owes more to his work than any other scientist. Without Tesla's work, we would still be using vacuum tubes and incandescent light bulbs. Although, that is just a personal assertion. I have nothing to back that last statement up. It is also my experience, as a student of History, that technology tends to develop when its time comes, regardless of who the specific instrument of invention is.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Other than that please explain yourself. ;-)

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Years ago it was determined that information has monetary value. You are paying for your Google or Siri (or whatever else) services that are on your phone. You are just not paying for it with green money.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
No phone other than land line, no electronics of any sort on pre interweb boat, 12 year old laptop on desk. Did quite well these last sixty years without the crap and suspect I can go the distance without it. I don't matter enough to be tied to electronic $hit and tracked for my every move. Best part is it doesn't cost a penny not to have the stuff. Great not having an ego.