Technology is getting overly creepy

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Creepy #1
I just got off the phone with Verizon after they charged me for "Travel Pass" usage when they should not have. They gladly refunded the money, after confirming that I had not actually used any "phone or data" when out of the country, but this only adds to the creepy nature of technology today.

When out of the country Verizon advises turning off cellular & data so that you won't get charged for Travel Pass usage. I turned cellar & data off in Boston and did not turn it back on until I was again in Boston. I checked multiple times to ensure it remained off, which it did. Somehow, which Verizon can't seem to explain, they knew where I was, it's listed right on my bill, despite having all cellular & data turned off. When I explained they were technically "spying on me", acting illegally (based on their own claims) and that charging me for days spent out of the country, when they had no right to know where my phone was, is theft, they actually agreed. I then asked to be moved up to a higher level of support. They too had no explanation and factually stated that with cellular/data toggled off they physically have no way to know where my phone was, yet they did, and they charged me for it. I also had location/GPS off, Bluetooth off and 98% of the time wi-fi was off. I am waiting for a call back from a higher up level to hopefully explain this. If not I have two very good friends in top level management that I will ping this off. CREEPY!!!

Creepy #2
In December my wife, daughter & I went to Quebec City for a long weekend. While shopping we came across a quaint little candy store. Inside I found a candy I'd not seen since I was a child. My grandmother used to bring "Chicken Bones" back from Quebec when I was very young. In over 45 years I had not seen them, heard of them nor even remembered them. We bought .5 pounds of Chicken Bones, paid cash, and ate them while walking around Quebec. Neither my wife nor myself texted, googled, posted nor mentioned anything about the "Chicken Bones" other than conversations among ourselves.. We only talked about them while in the store and while walking around the "Old City". That evening, before we'd even headed out for dinner, an ad for Chicken Bones shows up on my Facebook feed............???? WTF! They only way this could happen is coincidence, yeah right, or someone is using the mic on our phones to spy on us..... FREAKING CREEPY!!!!

Creepy #3
In November we were getting ready to head up to my buddy's hunting camp. I'm in my brothers driveway, phone in my pocket, when he shows me a photo, on his phone, of a "pickup-truck tent" that he'd just ordered. I'd never even seen one nor heard of one. Again, I never googled one, texted about one etc. only had a very brief verbal conversation about it with my brother in his driveway. Oh, and my brother does not do Facebook so we are not even friends there. The tent was not also not purchased through Amazon, he ordered it from a small on-line company, over the phone, because he wanted to ensure it would fit his specific bed on his Tundra.. The next day I am now seeing ads for pickup-truck tents on both my iPad/google ads and my Facebook feed. D'oh...... I'd never even seen one prior to this and within 24 hours I am getting ads from google and Facebook!!!! Again, this incident can not be explained by anything other than the microphone in my phone.

I know they all deny they use your mic but even friends in the technology world, specifically working in internet security, can't explain these events other than to say they are indeed using our phone mics...... I will run the Verizon one by them today.

Creepy, or just a coincidence..........?????

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Some of that is proximity stuff.. They know your phone was in a Chicken Bones candy shop.. and the (spy) software makes some decisions to go from there..
Unless..... you got yourself on a voodoo terrorist watch list for buying a bunch of chicken bones?:biggrin:

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
It is way past time for our legislators and the FCC to rein in these nosy-nannies. But then I believe most of this intrusion is at the behest of the of our federal government. Seems like this activity from the cell companies violates our constitution. Ya' know that pesky privacy thing we all hold so dear. Tin foil hat on my part? I suppose but an ounce of prevention....etc.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Did you hop on the wifi at the chicken bones place? If your wifi was on, and set to grab an address from a public AP (access point) you will register against that server, and thus, the public customer. In your point one, you said 98% of the time, it only takes mere miliseconds to register against a wifi, and you may be on and off again before you realize that you were ever there, but the point is - they know.
If you turned it off at the airport, they knew you were there, you grabbed an address at some far away place, then showed up at the airport again, and the bastiges did the reverse math against a huge assumption and sent you a bill. If that happened, it's not creepy, it's probably illegal.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
What you are most likely experiencing is the result of in store/public beacons. They are picked up by your phone and then used to push appropriate advertising to you. They do not use your WIFI or cellular network, but instead use NFC or BLE (Blue Tooth Low Energy) They are transmit only devices, and do not track you. However by using your phone, you are actually tracking yourself, and your device is trying to be helpful based upon the beacons it has seen.

This definitely would account for the Chicken Bones Ad, and most likely also accounts for Verizon knowing you were overseas. I still don't see how your brothers tent purchase got ads delivered to you.

IBeacon
Bluetooth low energy beacon

Feb 6, 1998
Some of that is proximity stuff.. They know your phone was in a Chicken Bones candy shop.. and the (spy) software makes some decisions to go from there..
Unless..... you got yourself on a voodoo terrorist watch list for buying a bunch of chicken bones?:biggrin:
Not a Chicken Bones candy shop, "Chicken Bones" are just one of about 300 + different candies they sold.

Feb 6, 1998
What you are most likely experiencing is the result of in store/public beacons. They are picked up by your phone and then used to push appropriate advertising to you. They do not use your WIFI or cellular network, but instead use NFC or BLE (Blue Tooth Low Energy) They are transmit only devices, and do not track you. However by using your phone, you are actually tracking yourself, and your device is trying to be helpful based upon the beacons it has seen.

This definitely would account for the Chicken Bones Ad, and most likely also accounts for Verizon knowing you were overseas. I still don't see how your brothers tent purchase got ads delivered to you.

IBeacon
Bluetooth low energy beacon
So they knew where my phone was, ok...

How did they know which of the 300+ candies in this shop I chose to purchase, if any, with Canadian CASH.... Again, out of 300+ different candies in that shop I bought Chicken Bones and got an ad for Chicken Bones not the 299 + other candies in that shop.... Sure, ok.... (wink) (Oh and 300 plus different candies may be a gross under statement)

Chicken Bones are a Canadian candy and they look like this:

This store was not named Chicken Bones it is a small independent candy shop selling hundreds and hundreds of different candies, "Chicken Bones" being but one of many hundreds they sold.

This is one small section of their candies, they also have fudge, chocolates etc. etc. etc.. I don't even see the Chicken Bones jar in this image.. We paid cash so unless the mic was used it would be a damn good guess with about the same odds as me getting to walk on Saturn in my lifetime...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Just like they put "marker molecules" in your fuel, and in your explosive compounds, they put the same stuff in our candy, so they can watch where we've been. (and that's our Orwellian moment for the day)

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I agree with Pateco.
Main, Do you have Siri, or similar on your phone?
More than once this has happened to me.... here is the latest and most flooring to me:
On a conference call with 3 others, using my landline on speaker, with my iphone next to me,
I was conducting a training on line, all of us on conference line while watching my screen on computer:
midway through conversation ......
Me: 'Oh, sorry, I take that back, I would fill it in here and remove this.'
MY PHONE SAYS TO ME: 'It's OK Patti, we all make mistakes sometimes

Easy to imagine that those key words in your conversation might result in such specific detail on your recent find!

Feb 6, 1998
I agree with Pateco.
Main, Do you have Siri, or similar on your phone?
More than once this has happened to me.... here is the latest and most flooring to me:
On a conference call with 3 others, using my landline on speaker, with my iphone next to me,
I was conducting a training on line, all of us on conference line while watching my screen on computer:
midway through conversation ......
Me: 'Oh, sorry, I take that back, I would fill it in here and remove this.'
MY PHONE SAYS TO ME: 'It's OK Patti, we all make mistakes sometimes

Easy to imagine that those key words in your conversation might result in such specific detail on your recent find!
Siri is always turned off I find her as useless as boobs on a bull. I do not have an Alexa either(good Russian spy name though) ...

With my phone, as much as is humanly possible is off unless I need it. I also kill an app immediately alter I use it, double tap home button swipe up. Things I don't leave on.

Siri = OFF / I never use it
Location Services = OFF / Only when necessary (ski app, google maps, iSailor)
APP Updates = OFF /Done Manually
Wi-Fi = OFF / Only on when I am using it
GPS = OFF / See location services
Bluetooth = OFF / Only on when I am using it

I routinely get 4-5 days of battery life from an iPhone 7+...

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Just like they put "marker molecules" in your fuel, and in your explosive compounds, they put the same stuff in our candy, so they can watch where we've been. (and that's our Orwellian moment for the day)
Years ago, I read about UV visible taggents being put into canister powders to make them traceable. I explained this to a friend who did not believe me. I took a new canister of Green Dot that he had just bought & shined a black light on it, in a dark room. I saw no markers of any kind. To this day, I don't know if they are really being used or not.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
It is way past time for our legislators and the FCC to rein in these nosy-nannies. But then I believe most of this intrusion is at the behest of the of our federal government.
Winner, winner, chicken bone dinner

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Their watching us.... Always Watching......

http://digg.com/2017/facebook-phone-microphone-ads

Personally I take the side that if google, amazon, facebook, etc... want access to our microphone it's not just to make our lives easier. Their also listening for key words in the background to target ads our way. Afterall how else does a free social media company become a multibillion dollar industry?

However its not just our phones we need to worry about. Cars as well have long been a source of recording audio even unbeknownst to the occupants.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...sxm-gm-chevrolet-toyota-privacy/#4e12bfb92ef8

Privacy at this point is an illusion. Now where did I put that tin foil hat....?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
As a former intelligence professional, I am always surprised when people expect privacy in the digital age. One way or the other, most all of us signed up to these invasions of our privacy. We have a binary choice: accept these intrusions as a "cost" of the digital age, or sign off of the devices/services that offend you.