Teak eyebrow for oday 35

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
The old eyebrow came off easily. With a little pressure, the screws backed out. I enlarged the holes with the next size drill bit and filled them with epoxy putty. Epi strips have been rough shaped to 3/4 by 3/4 with the outside corners routed. The strips are out at a wood shop getting the scarf joints cut but finger joints are being considered. I need to find a plug cutter to cover the screw heads next. A guy at the yard that was replacing all of the screws on a wood planked 40 something foot power boat suggested Jamestown for the plug cutting tool. I'll have to look into this.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Harbor freight has a plug cutter kit, but no doubt one from Jamestown would be better quality. It's essential the plug fit the hole properly and with the Chinese junk that's doubtful.
IMO, Ipe is the way to go. When you see park benches and the like that look like teak, it's probably Ipe. They've been using it for decades that way. Looks and acts like teak but a little darker colored. Comes in up to 16' lengths at Menards and most of their stores stock it.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Just a thought instead of a scarf or finger joint, what about a glued dowel joint? Simple, strong and would keep the edges aligned.
Did the epi change color where it was sawn and did you need to wire brush it to restore the color? I think I read that somewhere.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Sorry I'm a little late to this conversation. I've been looking to replace the eyebrow on our boat as well. I replaced the teak toerails with the fake wood about 7 years ago and they still look new. Unfortunately, the manufacturers have changed the way they make the stuff and it doesn't look as good. However, I was just in the lumberyard and found some material similar to the old formula that I might just try for my eyebrows. The old formula had the color all the way through the fake wood (see photo). Now, the interior color is grey and the exterior is dipped in some sort of plastic creating the exterior color so when it is milled to shape, only the top has the nice color and the sides look grey. Also, the plastic layer on top can peel away, not so great. Back when I made the original pieces, I did mill a piece the same width and thickness as the eyebrow pieces to see if it would be strong enough and I was surprised by the strength but I wasn't going to go through all of the work to do it if I didn't have some assurance that over time, everything would look good so I only did the toerails. The photo shows the same material but when it is freshly milled, the sides are a little different in color so I wiped some oil on them just to unify the color. I haven't had to do that since which is great because that was one of the things I was testing.

Attachments

Oct 7, 2008
eyebrows are scarfed, painted with Cetol and ready to install. Just waiting on the weather. Maybe this weekend?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
The eyebrows were removed and the screw holes gel-coated before I bought my O'day 35. The gelcoat was not sanded after the holes were filled. I don't miss them at all, but I am considering mixing up some gelcoat with some brown pigment and masking and painting them on... Thoughts?

Realize that these boats are going on 30+ years...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
Another easier option would be to apply the tape use. Mine come off this month for refinishing with the Honey Teak epoxy system already used on the hand rails.

Oct 7, 2008
I find that the eyebrows are more than for show. They give me more traction when working at the mast and they also give me a clue as to where my feet are. This could be because the replacements are a full 3/4 inch thick.

DYFLWD

Feb 20, 2016
Oday 28 Lake Texoma
Can you post pictures of finished project. I ma going to try this myself. Thanks

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
had a broken eyebrow on my ODay 28. Got same answer from Ruby as listed above. Ended up going to the local lumber mill (not lumber yard). Bought a 18 foot long (one piece) piece of 3/4 X 3/4 oak. Used standard issue router mounted upside down in a portable cabinet/table to chamfer the sides. Bought a $29.95 portable drill press from Sears (mount your home drill in a fixture that slides straight up and down). Used this to drill holes. All wood work was done in the parking lot in front of the boat. Used mult. coats of Cetol to finish. Looks great. Is it exactly like the factory original on the port side.....no. But it would have to be brought to your attention that they are different before you would notice. You would have to sit there for a while and study the two eyebrows to detect the different. And just as important, no one can see both side of the boat at the same time. Total cost (-minus the drill press $29.95)....$18.00

Oct 7, 2008
Take it easy Larry. I'll stop by the boat tomorrow after work. BTW, I brought the boat up to NJ this year. where are you wintering?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
If you haven't purchased already, check out Exotic Hardwoods in Annapolis, they're right off RT 50 before you cross the Bay Bridge.

Oct 7, 2008
Sorry for the delay but I finally got a few pictures of the finished eye brows with ipe. They will get a few coats of cetoel this year. They have held up well but there has been some splintering at the area of greatest bend. It has sanded out smoothly but maybe the wood should be bent in this area when it is installed.
eye brow 2.jpeg

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
Looks great! I got my teak at Exotic Woods in Winslow? NJ just off the Ac express way. Will post a pic tomorrow when on the laptop.
Happy new year to all!

Oct 7, 2008
Were you able to find long pieces of teak at a reasonable price? Look forward to seeing the finished project.