Tank monitoring

Sep 6, 2011
E hope to install tank monitors. In trying to get to the waste tank it lookalike a huge ordeal. It looked like moulding, back rest and a mess of screws. Before we yanked the moulding what does it take for you to get to your tank? The plan was the stick on type probe but not sure that's viable now.

Thx!

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I bought this Snake River monitor, model 703-Smart 3 Tank.

https://tankedge.com/products.html

Similar (or possibly identical) to SCAD. I monitor fuel, holding, and water. The water uses a custom internal sensor, which I had to drill a 1" hole on the top of the tank. The fuel and holding use the external, stick-on sensor.

Sep 6, 2011
Check out the SCAD systems Scad Tank Monitors, top rated by Practical Sailor. The sender goes on the outside of the tank
Peggie thanks for the response. That is the type of system we have plans for. My challenge is getting to the tank. It looks like we will have to take the ports odeon the salon apart. Before I did that I figured I'd ask those who have accessed the tank in my particular boat. It's a bit convoluted.
Thx!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I bought this Snake River monitor, model 703-Smart 3 Tank.
https://tankedge.com/products.html Similar (or possibly identical) to SCAD. I monitor fuel, holding, and water. The water uses a custom internal sensor, which I had to drill a 1" hole on the top of the tank. The fuel and holding use the external, stick-on sensor.
Similar but not identical. Snake River went out of business about 10 years ago...a company in AL bought their remaining inventory...they didn't last long though. TechEdge seems to be the latest owner of the SR trade name and are making their own versions of it along with their own brand name.

SCAD is actually a private label brand name for the Profile Tank Monitors, made by Ferriello Sales. Profile Tank Monitors Dennis Ferriello was the National Sales Manager for Snake River for a number of years, left them when the quality of of Snake River products seriously deteriorated (some of you may remember when Hunter was installing Snake River systems had so many problems with 'em that they discontinued 'em fairly quickly) and started his own company making top quality tank level systems...in fact,replaced a lot of the bad Snakes River components on Hunters for owners. SCAD began private labeling them 5-6 years ago...they concentrate on the retail market, Dennis now does mostly OEM sales to boat and RV mfrs, putting their own names on the panels.

If your water tank sender is internal, I suspect it's a metal tank...your waste and fuel are either fiberglass or PE...'cuz the external senders will work on all materials EXCEPT metal.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Hey SC, it's easy. The molding comes off easily. Just drill the bungs out and remove screws. The back rest is easy. you'll have take your time and locate the screws through the material. After that the top of settee comes out with a few screws. My water tanks are under the setees and I replaced them all a year a step years ago. Pretty easy compared to other boats. AND, they fit through the companionway. The problem u might have with an external sensor is room between it and other structure.

Sep 6, 2011
Thanks Mark! I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to double check before I took things apart that may not need it. There is an access plate to 2 bolts. Any idea what they are? The less destruction I have to do the happier I'll be.

To replace it did you just set one down in the fiberglass tank? Not that I plan to replace it just for knowledge.
Thx!
SC

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
when the quality of of Snake River products seriously deteriorated...
Not sure about the quality of SR in the past but mine seems to be made good with the circuit board coated with epoxy. There is also a 10v power supply built in so the unit operates under a constant 10v even though the battery voltage varies.