Morgan 323 Rebuild

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Although I usually end up cursing the "Dreaded Previous Owner" as opposed to the manufacturer.
The Golden Rule of DIY boat maintenance: "Do not do unto the next owner, what the previous owner did unto you."

I try not to blame the PO, as I am a PO and I know that some of the things I did in the early years weren't of the same quality as I do now. :D

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
When my father in law passed my wife inherited 5 classic cars. I fix/work on all of my vehicles including diesels ect but i'm not a classic car guy. It was hard and took along time but we realized that the cars were his dream and desires and they were assets sitting there for us. We sold several and invested in a lake cabin for our family to be together and enjoy. Looking back on it I believe he would want it that way seeing the family enjoyment. Dreams take on all forms. If the path was/ is the dream then move forth and conquer but if sailing was the dream then don't spent the years to get there.

That being said, I recommend giving it a week or so to let the dust settle prior to deciding. It's really easy and convenient to divert grief, stress and anxiety with taking on something like this while not addressing the emotions at hand.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
So, I talked to the owner at the marina and I think we've come to an agreement. He even agreed to let me use the shore power, which is not included with the slip (and not usually available for that slip at all). So while it will make working on her a royal pain, I have decided to keep her there for the time being. That could change depending on how frustrated I get, but I like the idea of being able to sail her soon if I can get enough work done.

BitsPerSecond, It would nice if you could share some pictures.
I took you a picture when I stopped by to check on her with all this rain from the hurricane.

The pictures inside the cabin didn't turn out. it was too dark. But it is not nearly as bad as I remember.

Thank you guys again for all your input.
Chris

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we realized that the cars were his dream and desires and they were assets sitting there for us. We sold several and invested in a lake cabin for our family to be together and enjoy. Looking back on it I believe he would want it that way seeing the family enjoyment.
Great thought here. Also consider, that anyone willing to pay for a classic car is likely going to care for that car the way your father-in-law would also want. If you aren't into such things as much as your benefactor was, it seems best to find someone else who is.

Chris,
That looks like a fine boat and there is a lot of good material to work with. It also looks like a lot of boat for a lake in Tennessee. Do you have ocean sailing plans in the back of your mind? While it is unlikely to be cheap, it will be rewarding. As a student in engineering school, you should also take advantage of access to any shop equipment, free materials, and help with the fabrication of parts, you might need.
It could also represent a cheap apartment.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So, I talked to the owner at the marina and I think we've come to an agreement. He even agreed to let me use the shore power, which is not included with the slip (and not usually available for that slip at all). So while it will make working on her a royal pain, I have decided to keep her there for the time being. That could change depending on how frustrated I get, but I like the idea of being able to sail her soon if I can get enough work done.
Good decision by the marina owner. If you simply abandon the boat and stop paying, he's stuck with it. He'll have to keep it for a while and then he'll have to dispose of it. There are lots of abandoned boats in marinas and boatyards everywhere. One of the down sides of being in the marina business.

As work progresses on the boat, you'll find your tool and part collection on the boat increasing. For a large part of my boating life I have lived about 40 miles from the boat. Many more times than once I have arrived at the boat ready to work and realized the tool or part or fastener was 40 miles away at home or 1 mile away at a hardware store. The math was easy. I now have a small hardware store in my boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Hard for tell but looks dirty for sure. I use Star brite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner for all cleaning outside. It works great on the deck and hull sides just fine with a plastic scrub brush on a handle. My daughter will scurb the teak tirm with a hand scrub brush, plastic bristles and use the same cleaner. For real tough stain we will break out a a strong bleach cleaner, Walmart makes a cheap brand called Top Job. In fact if your local Walmart has a boat area they migjt have the deck cleaner above, bit you can get it at Academy Sports or Amazon too pretty easy.

The tarp on the bow probably means leaks, rebedding all deck hardware should be first task, not hard or expensive using butyl tape. Before fixing up anything below deck get her as leak proof as possible.

A clean and leak free boat is a good first step and then can look at the next steps.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
The tarp on the bow probably means leaks, rebedding all deck hardware should be first task, not hard or expensive using butyl tape. Before fixing up anything below deck get her as leak proof as possible.
We were in the process of rebedding hardware. I was helping with that some. I believe we got most of that done already. I checked her when I took that picture and didn't find any obvious leaks.

The tarp is because the "temporary" forward hatch is currently sitting next to me. So there is a rather large hole in the deck. He had removed it to replace the window/vent. It also has crack in it that I don't like the look of. I am drawing it right now in fusion. For now, I am going to cut a piece to cover the hole where the old window/vent was and do something about the crack just to get the hatch sealed up till I can make a replacement.

Are you on the TN river or near Knoxville
Watagua lake. Two-ish hours from Knoxville. Between Hampton and Butler.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Excellent sounds like you already have a solid hand on everything! That lake looks like a beautiful location, is it connected to the great loop to get out of there?

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Excellent sounds like you already have a solid hand on everything! That lake looks like a beautiful location, is it connected to the great loop to get out of there?
It is beautiful here. The land around the lake is mostly parks and TVA land so it isn't very developed. I believe the plan was to trailer her to Knoxville for the loop trip and take the Tennessee River, but I'm not positive.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@BitsPerSecond

For the record I sold boats on Watagua lake as far back since 1985. There is no travel lift and there is one bridge across the lake limiting the height of masts. Although you are required to have an anchor the lake is deep and you would need a long line what 500 feet long. There are a couple ramps to launch from using a dedicated trailer for larger boats or better yet a hydraulic trailer. The only hydraulic trailer going there I know of is from Triton Yachts 252-249-2001
And Paul Wells knows what he is doing. I used Triton over the years

There soon is a Hunter 260 I recently worked on going there. Not sure if there is a large gin pole there now

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The tarp is because the "temporary" forward hatch is currently sitting next to me. So there is a rather large hole in the deck. He had removed it to replace the window/vent. It also has crack in it that I don't like the look of. I am drawing it right now in fusion. For now, I am going to cut a piece to cover the hole where the old window/vent was and do something about the crack just to get the hatch sealed up till I can make a replacement.
BitsPerSecond,

Post pictures of your crack plus over-all images. I'm not sure what you are drawing in fusion, the hatch? Window/vent? Are you replacing the whole hatch? Is the frame bad/cracked? Is the hatch solid? Got a window in it? If you can pot pictures we might be able to help you find the best way to repair it.

dj

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Chris, it seems like you have thought this out and you are already taking some of the necessary steps. The priority should be replacing the hatch and making the boat watertight.
As many have pointed out, this boat is a project and you will put more time and money into it than its worth, oh well, i have a project truck, a motorcycle (a similar story to yours) and a boat that I have more money into they are worth on paper, but they are priceless to me. In the end you will have a beautiful boat that you know EVERYTHING about and you will all the memories it has for you now and that it will give you in the future.
You are in a hands-on tech program, are there any fellow students who are looking to get their hands dirty and help you? When I was in college the engineering students were always looking to put their training to work and I gave them the chance with a couple different cars-back then they worked for beer and pizza.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
BitsPerSecond,

Post pictures of your crack plus over-all images. I'm not sure what you are drawing in fusion, the hatch? Window/vent? Are you replacing the whole hatch? Is the frame bad/cracked? Is the hatch solid? Got a window in it? If you can pot pictures we might be able to help you find the best way to repair it.

dj

That is what used to be the forward hatch. Its some type of plastic, looks like HDPE. It had some sort of vent or window in it before that is not there now. There is also a crack in the corner near where the hinges attach.

Tonight I drilled small holes to stop it from cracking further and I used some spare fiberglass to glass over the crack. It is curing outside. I am thinking tomorrow I will attach a piece of scrap plastic over the hole and then just glass the entire thing. That should hold until I get around to making a new one. Probably not ideal, but should keep the rain out.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
bps, looks like a hole for solar powered vent. Someone here should have one around to donate? @FDL S2 has a great idea on enlisting help from your schoolmates. A good source for labor.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
bps, looks like a hole for solar powered vent.
If someone added a vent there it probably needs it.
Probably was, considering it goes directly over the V berth. I am not worried about right now. Just going to cap it to keep the water out. I don't think it will be an issue as long as it is temporary.

This article and video on welding plastic looks promising - https://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-Broken-Plastic-Never-Throw-It-Away-Any-More/
I have a pond filter that is leaking from a crack. I repaired it last year with Bondo and got a season out of it, but it is leaking again. I think I'll try this, when I can.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I have had mixed results with plastic welding in the past. It really depends on the material in question.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This looks like a fun project. Keep us up to date with progress and pictures.