Morgan 323 Rebuild

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
So...Its been a rough couple weeks for me. My boyfriend of six years passed away on the 24th of August. We were planning to sail the great loop after I graduate. I decided I needed a project and bought his 1983 Morgan 32 (323?), including all parts to go with her. Essentially I bought a kit. She's pretty much gutted right now, as we were working on just about everything. And when I say 'we', I mean I was following his instructions. Honestly, I barely know anything about sailing. He was supposed to get serious about teaching me this fall....Obviously I am in WAY over my head. Which is okay, I can learn, but it is kind of overwhelming. I am trying to take this one step at a time.

My biggest problem right now is getting her moved and stored without damage. Slip rent is paid through the end of the year, but I can't afford to pay it after that, especially if I'm still working on her. That means she needs moved, realistically in the next month or two, depending on winter weather. I have a phone number for a guy that will rent a suitable trailer by the week. I've been told (and I believe) I will need a crane to get her off the trailer (and possibly also to get the mast down). I have a friend with enough space in his yard, who has offered to help. But that's as far as I've gotten.

What happens after that is where I'm stuck. I've done a little poking around the forums, but I think my biggest problem is not knowing the proper terminology.

TL;DR
I am looking for information on how to properly store a 32' Morgan off the trailer in a friends yard while I restore her. How do I determine how many stands are needed and where they should be placed? Are a few stands and a lumber cradle enough? What are pitfalls I should avoid? What are good resources for information?

I apologize for writing a novel, but context can be important. I know there is a lot of information I am lacking and I would really like to be able to make informed decisions in a timely manner. Plus, I really don't want to mess this up!

Chris

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My condolences Chris.... that's tough.

It is more than likely that you'd get the info you need from whomever you acquire the boat stands.... Google search topics like "boat stands for sailboats setup" for lots you tube stuff. Here's a piece I found from Brownell Boat Stands:
Boat Stand Demonstration

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Chris, I'm sorry for your loss.

You are correct in that you will need a crane to take down the mast. The marina may have one. The marina will probably have a travel lift or a crane to take the boat out of the water.

There are trucking companies that specialize in moving boats. The one to look for will have a hydraulic trailer that can set the boat down on the jack stands that @Joe mentions. If you tell us the area where the boat is, some one will likely be able to give more specific information.

I wish you well in your endeavors.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
sorry to hear Chris. First question, is if you are committed to a boat restoration. There is a lot of learning for you, then a lot more time involved in the actual work, esp if the Morgan is completely gutted at this time. This project could very easily turn into many years, and what you put into her $-wise is for the sheer joy of working on a boat.

If the plan is to sail the great loop, look to offload this Morgan. There are other Morgan 323's available if there is a connection to this model. Then visit a local marina or yacht club and learn to sail through volunteering to crew. You can then decide if this journey is still for you.

Take a few days to search what are your priorities and come back to let us know.

For STORING: <see @dlochner post> You will need to hire riggers that can pull the boat onto a trailer (including pulling the mast) and drop it at a specified location. I am having this completed this fall for winter storage (no storage at the new marina.) For moving the boat 4mi, taking the mast down and placing in my cradle is about $800. To move the boat 120mi, I was quoted $3500.

For RESTORATION WORK: There are so many great restoration vlogs on YouTube you can learn a lot on what to expect. Some are cosmetic resto's, while others dig into the bones of the boat, and basically rebuild to like new condition.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Chris,
That is a very sad way to acquire a boat. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our attachments to the "things" that represent those whom we love is very human, but consider if this is really what you want to do for the memory of your boyfriend. Is spending the kind of money and time this project will take, what he would want you to do. Apex is exactly right. Value-wise, there are a lot better and more efficient ways to get into sailing. That is not to say there isn't great value in a "kit" boat. If you enjoy working with your hands, engineering unique solutions to problems, creating objects of your own design and labors, go for it. That is exactly the kind of boat I love to own.
A crane is not strictly necessary for either the mast or the lifting off the trailer onto stands, but it is so much easier and safer that there is no reason to consider another solution. If you are short on money for this, at least get the yard to take the mast down when they put the boat on the trailer.
For stand placement, look inside the boat for the location of bulkheads (frames or partitions that reinforce the hull laterally). these can be cabin walls, built in bunks and benches, closets, lazarettes, lockers, places where the deck structures like the cockpit are connected to the outer hull, etc. Locate stands on the hull in these places. Get a good set of chains to connect opposite stands together to keep them from kicking out. Your boat will withstand a lot of stress for short periods of time (while she hangs in a sling, for instance), but over time, she will settle around her supports so have at least three stands, four is better, per side. Once off the trailer, her weight will really be on the keel, the stands are to keep her upright. A padded stand at the bow and at the stern, if she is a fin keel (deep narrow keel with lots of overhang ahead and behind) If she has a full keel (goes most of the length of the hull), the keel will carry the support of the bow and transom. If this boat is to be stored on blacktop tarmac or grassy earth, put large wide pieces of pressure treated wood underneath to prevent sinking. Concrete is not prone to this, but I just pulled the leg of a metal stand out of a hole it made in a blacktop driveway and there was only a hundred pounds of weight or so in it. Uneven sinking of supports can cause damage.
Good luck and I hope you find this whole process as rewarding as I have with my projects.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I worked in a boat yard for years. Block her on the keel and use seven stands. Three on each side and a V in the bow. If using Brownell stands cut pieces of plywood for the bottoms to keep them from sinking into the ground. Grab some chain and make sure the stands are chained tight to keep them from walking up the hull

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Chris, sorry for your loss. Sometimes emotions get the best of us. This is one of those times for you. If you are the owner now, you need to sell it as it sits for ANYTHING you can get for it even if it means a loss. You will only damage your credit if you move it to the marina and not be able to make payments. You will likely find an unfinished boat almost impossible to sell and the marina will turn you over to collections. You are right, you are in over your head.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You have to be careful, disposing of a boat can be more expensive than buying one. If you do not know what you are doing restoring a boat is likely over your budget. You may loose interest and your friend may start hassling you about getting it moved after a couple of years. If I were in your position I would see if I could sell it or give it away while it is in the marina slip.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Thank you for your concern. I spent a lot of time already working on this boat, as a labor of love prior to his passing. It belonged to his grandfather and is named after his grandmother. We took it out many times over the years but I was busy with school and did not pay as much attention as I should have. I have had time to think about the scale of this project and whether it is something I truly want.

I have talked to several people about it, before I pulled the trigger. I am in this for the long haul. I do not know much about sailboats and sailing specifically. But I have a Bachelor's in Engineering Technology and I minored in Product Development. In other words, I am handy with tools and have access to the university machine shop. The friend who has agreed to store it and help me has a decent wood shop in his basement (and I own half the tools there). I just wanted to be clear, that I am aware of the scale of the project and don't take it lightly.

The marina she is at is on a local lake. They do not have a crane/sling or any other setup for launching or removing large boats. As far as I know, none of the marinas have anything like that. I was told there is a public access ramp I will have to motor/tow to, to get her out of the water. I am going to ask the sailing club more, but I was trying to have more information under my belt before I do as they are all still reeling from this as well.

I have to go now, I will look into those links/videos when I get home. Thank you!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If that's the Ted Brewer designed Morgan 32, that's a great boat! You won't have much of a problem storing that on stands. The advice on 7 stands with three on a side and one for the bow was spot on. Your problem is getting it out of the lake and transported to where you are going to work on it. I believe that boat weights about 11,000 pounds so you'll need someone that can bring in a crane to pull the mast and will have a trailer to pull it out of the water, bring it to your friends place. Someone gave you a couple ballpark prices, those were also accurate. So I don't know how far your friends place is from the lake, but those numbers can give you an approximation of costs at this point. Also be aware that the beam of that boat is 11 feet and some change so you have a wide load when running down the road. The company that moves it for you has to get the permits to run a wide load. The route between take-out and storage has to be explicitly defined. You'll have to make sure you can actually get the boat there. Once the boat is ready for the water, you then have to do the same to transport to where you are putting it in. You were talking about doing the great loop - where would you put in? Think about those costs also.

If it costs you $1500 to bring the boat to your firends, and $5000 to bring the boat finished to where you are going to put in, you are already at $6500 in costs just moving that boat around. And thoae numbers are low-balling...

There are Ted Brewer designed Morgan 32's in sail away condition for around $20,000. Not a lot of margin to make this economically reasonable. Just some food for thought.

dj

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm going to take a different tack (pun intended) with you Chris. Most of the people on this forum have a perfectly good sailboat and will give you negative answers on a rebuild. Now I'm not knocking my fellow SBO members but not many are up for rebuilding a boat. Search out the rebuild or building forums, websites, and FB pages. Join this FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1753887008242882/about/ and I bet the answers will be a little more positive. These other sites have many people who have moved non operational boats from place to place. Most folks on SBO would think I was crazy for putting $20K into a boat that will be worth $8K in the end but it's what "we" want to do. Like drinking $100+ bottles of single malt even though we have a modest income. It's not necessarily the destination but the journey that provides the most pleasure. Most of the money I've spent didn't return a thing, other than a great life. As my grandmother always said, If a bus hits you and you have 2 minutes to think about your life make sure you are thinking " I had a great life, no regrets".

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Thank you for the ballpark prices. I'm looking at moving the boat roughly 8 miles to my buddies place. I did not mean to sound like I do not wish to spend money on the project. It's just a timeline issue. I am working at the school until May when I will hopefully have finished my Masters and can get a real job. But until then I don't have extra disposable income for slip rent (and what I do have would be better spent on restoration). I should be able to afford to move her and fund the start of the restoration until then.

I need to make some phone calls, but your ball park figures sound about right. My logic was, say it will be a year minimum to get the work done. Moving her will be worth it, as it looks like it will cost less than a couple months rent at the marina. Plus, the tools will be closer than the half a mile from the slip to the parking lot. As for moving her to sail the loop, I will keep that cost in mind during this process, but if I only sail her on the lake I can be happy with that too.

You guys have given me some good info to think about and it jives with what I read before. But I feel a lot better having some of it confirmed. Thank you for the tip about other forums, I started with this one because I found it on a list my boyfriend had.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
“Most of my money has been spent on women and booze, the rest I just wasted!”

Money is an idea. You’ll always have money for the things you want. Spend it however it makes you happy. And no, I am no where near wealthy jsyk. I just live an enjoyable life, and maybe that is what makes me wealthy.

Juice

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
BitsPerSecond,
It isn't that the members don't think you should get into this project. This type of work is Hell for some and Heaven for others. Our interests are also to make sure of who you are and which of the two this will be for you and to open your eyes to the possible pitfalls you might be getting intoin either case. I, for one, would be quite thrilled to follow along and help, if possible, as you work on your new hobbie. We practically breath for this kind of stuff.
I am so sorry for the sad circumstances that brings you to SBO, but I feel remiss in not extending a welcome and extolling the intelligent choice you have made by becoming a member and joining us, earlier. So, welcome, it is good to have you. It will be our pleasure to help. LeeandRick has given you great guidance with the Facebook group. I hope you stick around here too and share some pictures of your boat and your progress.
Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I see many of the backyard projects have a temporary shelter overhead. Keeps the sun and rain at bay while working. Keep us posted on your progress.

As far as timing, the rigging people will handle much of the logistics, and can move quickly, likely just a few hours to move. Just get them scheduled sometime soon.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sorry f2pr your loss for sure. I admire your commitment and journey. Morgan 32 sure looks like a solid boat. I assume this the shoal draft for the great loop.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thank you for your concern. I spent a lot of time already working on this boat, as a labor of love prior to his passing. It belonged to his grandfather and is named after his grandmother. We took it out many times over the years but I was busy with school and did not pay as much attention as I should have. I have had time to think about the scale of this project and whether it is something I truly want.
As a labor of love it is not possible to put a monetary value on it. Practically speaking, budgets and annoying things like food and shelter do impact a boat renovation budget.

Some how this boat was put in the water and has been taken out a few times over its life for routine maintenance. How was this done? Who did it? Is there another marina on the lake with a gin pole to remove the mast? Some hydraulic trailers are submersible, allowing the boat to be floated onto the trailer.

An experience that many if not all DIY boat repairers have is a "WTF, who the hell designed this?" moment. As a future engineer, consider the DIY rehab experience as part of your education. It is the part the professors seem never to sufficiently impress upon their students. Here's one take on this topic: http://www.sv-secondstar.net/blog/second-star/16-there-ought-to-be-a-law

When you get some extra money subscribe to Good Old Boat and Pratical Sailor magazines. Both are a little pricey, however, well worth the money. Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
BitsPerSecond, It would nice if you could share some pictures.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Thank you, Will. Don't get me wrong, I actually appreciate both sides of the argument, regarding whether I should do this project to begin with. I had a talk with one of his friends prior to making my decision. He was concerned about whether I thought this through. In fact, he wouldn't let me buy her until he was satisfied on that front. He will probably be helping me some, but it also crazy busy himself.

Dlochner, technically I'm a technologist not a 'real' engineer. ;) Less calculus and more hands-on. Fits this project nicely. Nice little article, I have had similar experiences with other projects. Although I usually end up cursing the "Dreaded Previous Owner" as opposed to the manufacturer.

SG, I will try to remember to take some when I go check on her later.

Last edited: