Taking on water while sailing

Mar 19, 2016
Hunter 31 New York, NY
Hi there ~

I have a 1985 Hunter 31. The last two times I went out I noticed the bilge pumping out somewhat regularly while under sail. The last time I was in really calm water with minimal wind so there wasn't much heeling. While I'm at the slip everything is fine.

The fresh water tank is empty presently. I suppose the first areas to examine are the seacocks then maybe the shaft stuffing box and the rudder stuffing box.

Is there anywhere else I should be checking? Or general advice on how to diagnose where the water is coming from.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the hoses and clamps. A fouled engine exhaust hose will dump water into the hull when the engine is running. Did you have ice in the cooler? The cooler drains into the bilge. I'm sure you are aware that there is a likely certainty that your boat has many gallons of water trapped in the stringers below the sole. This water is released with boat movement, not necessarily just when heeling. Under certain conditions water can ingress through the rudder shaft enclosure when underway.

Mar 19, 2016
Hunter 31 New York, NY
The first time I had ice in the icebox and assumed that's where it was coming from. The last time, however, we were using a cooler.
Water being trapped in the stringers below the sole is likely what's going on. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I didn't consider it would get stuck under the sole when the boats not moving. Both the recent times before I'd taken her out I'd showered a number of times in the head. I can imagine that a lot of that water won't just find its way to bilge without some kind of motion.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I had a similar water collection while motoring, only determined the leak significance when I also saw the bilge outlet spewing water beneath the toe rail. Ultimately I found that one of the scupper drain hoses from the cockpit had come undone. I could only access this hose from the starboard side lazerette. The hose dropped to the level of the stern drain port and when we motored through a wave or wake the external port would dip below the typical waterline, burping a half gallon of water under the motor and right into the bilge. Easy fix...no more leak!
image.jpeg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Both the recent times before I'd taken her out I'd showered a number of times in the head. I can imagine that a lot of that water won't just find its way to bilge without some kind of motion.
That will do it. I hate showering in the head and then having to dry the place out. I tapped into the water pressure lines and installed a cockpit shower. You can bathe in a swim suit (optional) and most of the water will flow out the scuppers.

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
That will do it. I hate showering in the head and then having to dry the place out. I tapped into the water pressure lines and installed a cockpit shower. You can bathe in a swim suit (optional) and most of the water will flow out the scuppers.
Hi Benny, I love that idea....any info/pics on how you went about installing a cockpit shower?

Thanks,

Sean

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
a neighbor boat keeps a 19$ aquarium pump on board to pump out his shower bilge into his sink... he thinks it it should be illegal to sell boats without shower bilge pumps....doesn't want the aggravation of a permanent install, haha.