taking a break from the forum

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For a long time, I have spent too much time traveling to repair boats, phone calls and research trying to find an appropriate response, responding to calls from email/private messages/calls, etc. all on my nickel neglecting personal health at times, time alone with my wife/family/friends as I was trying to help out. Without going into detail, Jackdaw said it best; therefore, I am taking a break from the forum not sure if I will come back. However, I will still respond to private messages depending on the subject matter. Take care.
Dave

Jul 4, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Cape Charles
Thanks for all you do, Dave. You've always been generous with your time, knowledge, and experience.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks, Dave for your contributions.. Don't stray too far.. If ya get down to this neck of the woods, shoot me a PM and I will treat you to a beverage of your choice!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Dave - it's all about personal health, and by "listening to our body" we can do a self-diagnosis. Cyber addiction can creep up and before one knows it, the day, weeks, ... and years go by. There are better things to do in life so it takes some willpower to push one's self away from the keyboard and go do 'em.

Speaking for myself, I did a break-away due to overextending activities (construction projects) but came back recently. Started on this site a couple decades ago then took up a new hobby: video. That was about ten years ago. Actually started back in 1965 with standard-8) but then got deeply hooked again. Digital video makes it so much easer and fun to work with than film, and it has audio (my 8mm didn't)!

A person needs a new direction every once in a while. Heck, as was posted recently, even the Earth has shifting magnetic poles! My college psych prof said everyone should have two careers in life. Employee managers need to move employees around into different jobs to avoid burnout. A recent BBC article talks about limiting screen time https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46758809 in their Health section.

So, onward to self-help improvement. What about bicycle riding? We'd sure welcome your occasional return, it doesn't have to be totally "cold turkey". And don't forget to let us know what you're up to!
-= John =
s/v Servus

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Sorry to see you go Dave. Thanks for all your help, you are a gold mine of information and know how

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Thanks for all your help for all these years, Dave, We'll miss you! Take care of yourself and yours, that needs to come first;believe me, I know it well. I hope you'll keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Best regards,
Chuck

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Dave,

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do... But I will certainly miss you and (selfishly) hope you eventually decide to come back. The forums will not be the same without you. It was great meeting face-to-face in Annapolis, let's do it again next year!

Be well,

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
First it was the frog
who sailed off leaving us bereft of his valuable and humorous contributions, then the bird
who knew everything about sailing, has taken flight, and now Crazy Dave
is taking a break from schooling us all in boat knowledge.
You, Dave, have been an incredible treasure trove for the SBO community and have made it a pleasure being a part of it, for me. I feel blessed to call you my friend.
Take care of yourself. I know we'll meet sometime in the future. If, for some reason, you feel the need to leave the beauty of your mountains to experience the beauty of mine, your welcome anytime.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Gonna miss you, Dave. I've learned a lot from you over the years. I really didn't like liking your post, but couldn't let you get away with only 699 likes. :) Don't know where you are but, if you ever get to west central FL, give a shout out. We'll have a :beer: or two or three and go for a sail. And have more :beer:.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
First, thanks for all of your help with little boats and bigger boats. You were always friendly and knowledgeable, but most importantly, generous with wise advice!

We all understand that this isn't a job, and when it gets to feel like one it's time to shove off. Don't discount the difference you have made in people's lives as you saved us a ton of money and frustration. Fair winds.